i was asked to do this by a freind whos doing an eco project for his college cource and i thought everyone on here might be intrested as well.
1.0 Imperial gallon = 4.5461 liters
2.0 DTi with an empty boot and one passenger no heating or Air conditioning. only thing on is the radio and headlights when required.
1. Full the tank up with regular Diesel 97.9p a litre right up to the brim so the level is litteraly just out of the valve.
2. Drive Normally for a one Tank of fuel untill the light comes on. i Got 462 miles untill the light came on.
3. Fill up the tank again with Regular Diesel at again 97.9p a litre again up to the brim. it took 57.54 litres according to the pump
4. This gives me a combined MPG of 36.501 (lower than i thought i was getting!!)
5. Super Economy drive. car is not to go above 2300 rpm (max power output level according to vauxhall stealers) speed not to go past 56mph as according to vauxhall again is the most fuel economic speed to travel at. while i was on the moterways i also stayed behind trucks at a sensible but close distance o reduce drag.
6. Drive and Drive and Drive lol the car kept going and going thought the light would never come on this time! i was on 185.2 miles when the gauge hit the first bar on the fuel gauge.
7. FINALLY the light comes on miles.... 896.50 Miles on one tank!!
8. Fill up again doesnt matter what with though this time just brim it. takes 58.87 litres according to the pump (running on fumes!!)
9. Thus giveing a massive 69.230MPG!!!!!!! on a combined cycle id say i did 65% motorway 35% Town driving.
Thats a 52.724% increase in MPG!(but im not sure about that maths!!)
so over a average, if the fuel price stayed the same (Like F**K that would ever happen!!), Year driving normally for 10,000 miles a year id have to fill up 24.64 times. Thus costing me £1388.01
if i was to drive Carfulley over that same year with the same prices then id have to fill up 11.15 times. Thus costing me £642.61
Thats a HUGE £745.40 saving!!
Well thats the test so far ive got to try it on the V-Power diesel next and then il write up about that if people are intrested. hope this is an intresting Read.
P.S. !this was the most boring drive of my life! all i can say is thank got for a full iPod and a loud stereo lol. but its pretty shocking how much money just drivng super carfully can save you!