User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Halfords Professional 10 Piece Flex-head Ratchet Spanner Set - worth buying?

Ex Vec-C Admin / Founder Duncan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Halfords Professional 10 Piece Flex-head Ratchet Spanner Set - worth buying?

As above, it's currently half-price.

The bit that interested me was the flexible head bit. I've already got some ratchet spanners in the Halfords Pro 150 piece kit I have i.e. 8/10mm, 12/13mm and 17/19mm so the only sizes I'd gain as ratchets would be the 14/15mm - so the flexi-head is the real main difference. I've even got the adapters that let you use sockets in my ratchet spanners.

Sooo, I have two questions...

1) Has anyone got these?
    2) How often have you found the flexi-head part useful when doing jobs? Often enough to take a punt at £40 for them?, or rarely and I'm just as better off sticking with the ratchet spanners I have? - albeit without the 14/15mm sizes that are in that kit that I don't have. Although I can't recall when I've wanted/needed that size as a ratchet TBH.

Any feedback welcome.

Ta

'I haven’t lost my marbles, they’re in a bag somewhere? .. '
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
    As above, it's currently half-price.

The bit that interested me was the flexible head bit. I've already got some ratchet spanners in the Halfords Pro 150 piece kit I have i.e. 8/10mm, 12/13mm and 17/19mm so the only sizes I'd gain as ratchets would be the 14/15mm - so the flexi-head is the real main difference. I've even got the adapters that let you use sockets in my ratchet spanners.

Sooo, I have two questions...

1) Has anyone got these?
    2) How often have you found the flexi-head part useful when doing jobs? Often enough to take a punt at £40 for them?, or rarely and I'm just as better off sticking with the ratchet spanners I have? - albeit without the 14/15mm sizes that are in that kit that I don't have. Although I can't recall when I've wanted/needed that size as a ratchet TBH.

Any feedback welcome.

Ta
    Blimy I'm glad I didn't go to halfords today, could have broke the bank or given the card a good bashing, all these lovely thing for sale. ..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Ive borrowed friends before, never found the swivel head able to get anywhere a socket and extension bar couldnt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

How can you get any Umph on the spanner if its at a 90 angle?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Jason123 View Post
    Ive borrowed friends before, never found the swivel head able to get anywhere a socket and extension bar couldnt.
    I was in Halfords a short while ago looking at some other stuff and had a look at this set. On the main 'shaft' just before it meets the hinged bit it flairs out a bit, so reasonably chunky, and I wonder if it'd actually be harder to get into some bits compared to, as you say, an extension bar (on it's wobbly setting if needed).

Quote Originally Posted by andymagee1982 View Post
    How can you get any Umph on the spanner if its at a 90 angle?
    That was also a thought I had - although I 'spose in most actual cases you wouldn't be at 90 degrees, probably somewhere in between.

Well I think until I get a chance to try one 'in anger' I'm not going to punt £40 just to find that I don't use them/don't like them - especially as I've never thought to date "Oh, I wish I had a a flex-head spanner for that job!" lol

Thanks for the input BTW guys.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I have a set and use them at work - engineer in a large factory. They are very good and the flex is a useful feature. When using them at 90 degrees just put an adjustable on the top and off you go! They are 100 times better then the fixed ones imo as they have no offset like a normal ring spanner. I have never broken one and they do get some abuse.

I did recently discover that the "lifetime warranty" does not cover any moving parts on any of the professional range.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...Id_165572#dtab

"How does the life time guarantee work ?
    Q: I own a set of flex head rachet spanners from the halfords professional range. Some of the rachet heads have started to slip making them useless. The problem is i am not sure i have the reciept from when i purchased the set. How do i go about getting the broken ones repaired or replaced ?
    8 months ago
    by Anonymous - St Neots, Cambridgeshire

Answers
    Number One Contributor
    A: The metals of the tools in the Halfords Professional Rachet Spanner Set are guaranteed. The moving parts (rachets) are not covered under this warranty.
    A proof of purchase is likely to be required by stores for replacement of spanners in the set which have suffered metal corrosion.
    8 months ago
    by HalfordsWebTeam"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra gsi

Trim : Full heated leather

Engine : 3200

Year : 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sig View Post
    I have a set and use them at work - engineer in a large factory. They are very good and the flex is a useful feature. When using them at 90 degrees just put an adjustable on the top and off you go! They are 100 times better then the fixed ones imo as they have no offset like a normal ring spanner. I have never broken one and they do get some abuse.

I did recently discover that the "lifetime warranty" does not cover any moving parts on any of the professional range.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...Id_165572#dtab

"How does the life time guarantee work ?
    Q: I own a set of flex head rachet spanners from the halfords professional range. Some of the rachet heads have started to slip making them useless. The problem is i am not sure i have the reciept from when i purchased the set. How do i go about getting the broken ones repaired or replaced ?
    8 months ago
    by Anonymous - St Neots, Cambridgeshire

Answers
    Number One Contributor
    A: The metals of the tools in the Halfords Professional Rachet Spanner Set are guaranteed. The moving parts (rachets) are not covered under this warranty.
    A proof of purchase is likely to be required by stores for replacement of spanners in the set which have suffered metal corrosion.
    8 months ago
    by HalfordsWebTeam"
    well my local halfords have replaced 3 ratches,4 spanners,5 sockets,4 torx bits and all 3 ratches spaners out of my 150 ps kit with no problems ( never asked me to see recipte either)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

They are 100 times better then the fixed ones imo as they have no offset like a normal ring spanner.
    You're meaning the angle that a ring spanner has? If so then yes, the straighter ratchet spanner can be a boon there - as can can the angled ring spanner as well! lol

Also, how would you rate the against a normal double-ended ratchet spanner? That's what I have three of (i.e. 6 sizes) hence me wondering if I'd be gaining much. Is the flexi-head worth getting even if I have a few ratchet spanners already?
    Yeah, I noticed that too - only to be expected I 'spose. I know you can get a racthet repair (replacement) kit for the ratchet handles - not sure if you get the same for the ratchet spanners?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I have some of these too and find them very good. I used them at the weekend to undo the Exhaust clamp on a Veccy SRI Backbox as the bolt is too long even for long reach sockets and it took some severe pressure on it and it worked a treat and the way you can change the angle is really handy. I have had mine for a couple of years now and they are still as shiny now as when they were new

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra C Estate

Trim : Elite

Engine : 1.9 CDTi

this site is SERIOUSLY bad for your wallet...they do look good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information