User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: It was only a matter of time - the How Much Is It Worth Section has now been closed.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default It was only a matter of time - the How Much Is It Worth Section has now been closed.

Despite reminders by the three of us (Admin) and also posts by other members, it seems that they've fallen on deaf ears. For number of people the HMIIW section has become a lazy way of putting something up for sale without needing to give a price. More and more we have seen threads where the thread starter has posted up in their HMIIW thread to say "Sorry, they're sold" when there wasn't even a For Sale thread started.

On top of that we saw people posting up asking for 'first dibs' or making offers in the thread etc. therefore encouraging the whole practice.

So, from a combination of both thread starters and subsequent repliers they've made the section a bit of a farce and spoiled it for the rest who were using it properly and genuinely after an idea of value before they then started a For Sale thread. For those who were still using it properly - thank you. For those who have ruined it for everyone else - gee, thanks. The section was set up, after suggestions by members, as a way of helping people to price their For Sale items appropriately and to help them out - something now no longer possible.

So from now on we revert back to the For Sale section only where any items need to be given a price. For those that genuinely are not sure what to price something at then you'll have to do a bit of research - see what people have priced them at previously, look on eBay and use the Advanced Search function to look at completed listings and the selling price.

The HMIIW section will remain visible for the moment - to let people have a look through to see what other similar items were valued at to help them with any For Sale threads, but obviously no posting will be possible.

So, that's that - unfortunately the minority ruin it for the majority but it couldn't continue. For the Mods to keep watching every thread would just be impractical.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I suppose you're justified in what you've done,i for one posted a first dibs after giving a price for how much something was worth,but i think after 1 person had done it,it was natural to do it on something you really wanted,bit of a difficult one to judge and you have your reasons,sorry if my post was one that had this section removed and ruined it for everyone else.........

'I haven’t lost my marbles, they’re in a bag somewhere? .. '
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by glenboy View Post
    I suppose you're justified in what you've done,i for one posted a first dibs after giving a price for how much something was worth,but i think after 1 person had done it,it was natural to do it on something you really wanted,bit of a difficult one to judge and you have your reasons,sorry if my post was one that had this section removed and ruined it for everyone else.........
    I along with others have replied to a HMIIW & have to say, I had not read until this closure, that a request to purchase was not allowed. My mistake for not reading the rules. So like Glen says, hope it was not my doing although I realise I have contributed to the situation. ..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Shame because it was a good resource.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Stevel View Post
    Shame because it was a good resource.
    Yes but i t was being a bit abused
    If i asked a question about something id get 2 or 3 pm's before actually having a post on the thread about let people buy such item
    It ended up almost like an Auction

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I wasn't aware that PMs were being sent before a price was even suggested. Just what appeared on the boards.

I buy/sell next to nothing on here but it was always worth a check before buying elsewhere. It did my head in too with the, "first dibs stuff."
    Last edited by Stevel; 4th March 2009 at 13:07.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
    Yes but i t was being a bit abused
    If i asked a question about something id get 2 or 3 pm's before actually having a post on the thread about let people buy such item
    It ended up almost like an Auction
    That's exactly it. We'd see posts making actual offers in the thread, or "first dibs" posts or 'PM sent' which was obviously someone making an offer - exactly as you've experienced. And as in the original post the thread starters were often to blame just as much as they were using it as a means to get offers and not have to bother posting in the FS section with a price - and it all just undermined the whole reason that we added the section, and why people asked for it, in the first place.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra 1.8 SRi

Trim : SRi

Engine : Z18XE

Year : 2004

Maybe we could have a new section and have sealed bids auctions. If for example I had something to sell I could say what it was and then say sealed bids no less then £xxx, a member of the admin could then collect the sealed bids from forum members and at the given end date inform the seller who had made the highest bid and how much?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

It was a good idea but hasn't been working for a while.

I think the old For Sale section used to work much better, if someone posted something way over price people commented and likewise when something was a good deal, positive posts meant that item sold quick.

I very rarely saw any real abuse in the old FS section and think that would be much easier to moderate than the abuse thats been happening in the HMIIW.

JMO

'I haven’t lost my marbles, they’re in a bag somewhere? .. '
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    That's exactly it. We'd see posts making actual offers in the thread, or "first dibs" posts or 'PM sent' which was obviously someone making an offer - exactly as you've experienced. And as in the original post the thread starters were often to blame just as much as they were using it as a means to get offers and not have to bother posting in the FS section with a price - and it all just undermined the whole reason that we added the section, and why people asked for it, in the first place.
    Having read back through quite a few postings in the HMIIW section I have to agree. The poster has been as much to blame as the potential buyer. Could we not remind the poster/seller about not taking bids or is this the main reason as it requires to much policing? ..

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information