Thread: 2.0dti clutch gone, or not?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default 2.0dti clutch gone, or not?

I was driving my 03 reg vectra c 2.0dti today when all of a sudden the clutch went soft. Just about got it home by turning the engine off at every junction then putting it in gear and starting it while in gear. The brake pedal is still hard and there brake/clutch fluid resovoir has plenty fluid. The clutch pedal has no resistance at all.
    Im thinking it may be the master cylinder behind the clutch pedal. Any help would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

come on, there must be someone who has an idea what the problem may be!,

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I must admitt that it does sound like the master cylinder, but I think that on these systems the slave is in the gearbox and this coud be faulty but a loss of fluid should be visible in the resovoir!!! I have a petrol model so am not all that well up on oily's but you may have a DMF clutch as well. This is probably of no use to you at all but I am sure an expert in these matters will soon provide a better reply than me, anyway good luck and hope it is not to expensive to correct.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

if youve still got drive and no pedal its either your mastercylinder or slave cylinder im not sure if its an exteral slave cyliner on yours though

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Jaguar XF 3.0D V6

Trim : Black

Engine : 3.0D V6

Year : 0000

If there is absolutely NO resistance to the clutch pedal and no fluid loss, then it sounds most likely to be master cylinder related. Either seals have gone or mechanical failure has occured somewhere in any linkages etc.

To test the master cylinder, can you disconnect the hydraulic line that goes down to the gearbox slave, and test for fluid ejection under pressure (may have to partially block the pipe end) during pedal actuation?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks for the replies, The clutch pedal does bounce back up, but that is just the spring pushing it back, no resistance at all. The fluid resevoir needed a liitle brake fluid that was probably cos ive not checked it in months. As far as checking if its master cylinder goes, I have absolutley no idea where to disconnect the pipes. Can you be kind enough to guide me step by step what to do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Jaguar XF 3.0D V6

Trim : Black

Engine : 3.0D V6

Year : 0000

If you look next to the brake servo / master cylinder pack and to the right (when looking into the engine bay from the front, you will see the small clutch master. There is a hydraulic steel pipe going across the bulkhead, under the ABS pack and then forwards under the battery tray and then onto a flexible pipe to the gearbox.

Disconnect this pipe either from the flexible pipe to gearbox or from the end at the master cylinder and then get an assistant to press the clutch pedal whilst you block the exit. There should be a good squirt of brake fluid (you may want to catch it with a rag) if the master cylinder is functioning correctly. Fluid may naturally drain out if you leave the end unblocked, as the res is higher up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

According to the book (Haynes) the master unit is not of the repairable type and it requires a new unit. To remove the unit, basic without the frills, remove engine cover, release clutch pipe from bulkhead clips, unscrew the brake/clutch fluid reservoir filler cap and top up to the MAX mark, place a peice of polythene over the filler neck and secure with the filler cap, this will minimise brake fluid loss during subsequent operations. Remove clip and disconnect hydraulic pipe from the end of the master cylinder, remove retaining clip (where fitted) and disconnect the fluid supply hose, from inside the car remove the lower facia panel on the drivers side, seperate the clutch pedal from the master cylinder, DO NOT REMOVE THE CLIP FROM THE MASTER CYLINDER PISTON ROD, JUST RELEASE IT FROM THE PEDAL, unscrew the two master cylinder retaining bolts,and remove master cylinder fron car. Beware of fluid spillage while carrying out this operation. And the very best of British Luck!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

thanks a lot for the instructions

Thread Information