Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Creaking/Griding/Clicking from front offside

Hello there.

I need a little help with regards to some strange noises coming from the front o/s wheel area.

Apologies for boring you but a little history (essay) first

The car had a slight (very slight) noise going over speed bumps when I bought it at 12k miles, even at low speed. I thought it might be the anti-roll bar links so persuaded the Dealer (who thought I was hearing things) to replace them under warranty at 15k. The noise reduced a little but still something present.

I then replaced the suspension all round with Bilstein B6 shocks and Eibach Pro-Kit springs. When doing this I noticed that the nut holding the o/s strut stud into the turret bearing was loose!! Anyway, I put this down as the cause of the knocking. All has been well ever since until I finally got around to getting a 4-wheel laser alignment a month ago, at around 33k miles.

A couple of weeks after the much needed alignment was done I noticed a clicking noise coming from the front o/s. This was only present after a long motorway journey (70miles or so) and only noticeable at low speeds. After cooling down/resting and on shorter trips the noise is not there. When I first noticed it I took it straight to the dealers but having waited for the mechanic to become available the car had 'cooled down' a little and the noise had gone. So I dropped him back off feeling slightly embarrassed for dragging him out to listen to nothing!!

After each successive long journey (I do about 100miles home then back again at weekends) the noise reappears. From the sound of it I thought it was a CV joint although the noise was present when coasting, accelerating and braking and only audible at low speeds. I can also feel it through the pedals.

This morning I pulled over briefly into a lay-by and stopped, with the familiar noise there again (but getting slightly worse). I then turned the steering wheel with the car stationary and it made the creaking/crunching sound. To me this would rule out the CV joints but I could be wrong. I am also noticing a slight knock/click when rocking the steering wheel right to left when stationary, as if there is some play somewhere.

It seems that any movement in the suspension, whether it be up/down or when steering causes this noise and only when warm at the moment. Could this be Tie-rod/tie rod ends, the turret bearing or something more sinister?

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated and thanks for reading!

Clinton

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

im getting the exact same problems with same set up and after 4 wheel tracking? did you find a cure?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vauxhall Signum 2.0 DTI (Irmscher)

Trim : Elegance

Engine : 2.0 DTI 100 bhp

Year : 2003

I would be looking at getting them inner tie rods and track rod ends checked, although as you've just recently had a 4wheel alignment done the garage should have checked these before aligning the car. No good aligning the car with these worn. Alternatively could be a problem with the steering rack itself, the inner tie rods are the more common problem though.

You say you feel it through the pedals? Well that would point more to being wheel/brake related. Possibly a wheel bearing? Might also be why you only hear the noise when having done some miles and all hot? If it was wheel or brake related I would expect the noise to fluctuate with speed etc but you never mentioned this??

Interesting to know what is the culrip and cause of your problem is. Top strut bearings?

Bri.
    Today!! The new tomorrow, live the NOW!!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Correct me if i`m wrong guys but there is a modification for plastic tubing you slide onto the spring coils does this not correct this problem

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

i have the similer sound like a ticking noise at slow speeds when warm . the sound is like a brake noise its not my pads as only half warn but i got a feeling its the disks as got a fair lip on them with all the rusty crap you get on top of the disk .
    therefore i think this is the problem and dose it when warm as the brakes expand just enough to make the sound as if press the brake it goes .
    going clean the top edge of the disks whip pads out clean up and i sure this will cure the problem .
    oh mine done 40k 2006 sri and heavy foot on brakes .

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Facelift Insignia/Corsa D

Trim : LE/VXR

Engine : 2.0 cdti/1.6 Turbo

Year : 13/07

Quote Originally Posted by teera2uk View Post
    Correct me if i`m wrong guys but there is a modification for plastic tubing you slide onto the spring coils does this not correct this problem

There is indeed mate and it sounds like this is the problem that th OP has. They part was a modification made by VX and they are available from your dealer for a couple of quid

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

yeah i had this problem but the dealer said they didnt have it in stock and there are various sizes depending on thickness of spring he also said that most of the time the guys in the workshop just get ordinary tubing and cut it to length so thats what i did and worked a treat now all they need to do is sort the problem with springs snapping

Regards

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

i had the smae problem with my 2.2dti and i also checked on auto data which says to fit the plastic sleeving on the bottom end of your springs it worked a treat they cost about 2 quid each and come in 2 colours you need the blue ones

good look mate

this is a known problem on vectras

Thread Information