Thread: Other peoples cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Other peoples cars.

Today I have picked up an Audi 2.0T FSi to go and pick up my brother from the airport. It's a fantastic looking car, but then I've got a soft spot for Audi's, as it is the S-Line, So pretty much the same sort of level as the SRi / GSi.

But just to let you all know, the DSG gearbox is bluddy awful. It sounds like the clutch is constantly slipping and the change is quite slow. Also it sounds like a diesel. So in conclusion, You're not missing out!!

I love driving about in other peoples cars for two reasons, First the petrol is free!! and second, It's nice to get back into the 'underdog' if you like and realise that in actual fact, the Veccy is not much different quality wise, in some areas it is actually better!

What have you driven that promised loads, but ultimately dissapoints? I'm going to add this to the list, along with my old ST24 Mondeo - a cracking looking car, sounded superb, but just didn't go as I thought it would.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

My Jaguar XKr convertible. 400bhp, went well, but not quite well enough! If you see what I mean. Degraded to the XK8 and it is still quick. But didn't expect it to be daft if you see what I mean.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

octavia VRS. jumping straight from my saxo VTR into a 'perfromance family car', i was expecting more. It was either very choked up having been stood a while on the dealer forcourt, or they are over rated. The dash was very 90's and horrible looking, but to be fair, it was actually launched in the late 90's lol. rear legroom was very poor compared to the vectra which has relatively acres compared to rival marques. (not including the signum or skoda superb).

Audi A3 1.9 TD, on a 51 plate. Quite quick but very boring inside. I dont why vauxhall get such a slagging for lots of grey, as most of the other mass market cars are exactly the same, with the passat one of the worst!! (the best is the Alfa 156, by a mile!!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Driving other people's cars led me to the Vectra. The only Vaux I've really liked though!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

the new 2.0L TDi from VW is a good engine

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I love driving other peoples cars, doesn't matter what it is, 1.1 d reg fiesta, merc s500 whatever, just chuck me the keys. If someone asks me to go to the shop, i always try and blag the use of their car, makes it more fun, and theres something in it for me then.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I can't remember which ex F1 driver it was, who when asked which was the best road car he's ever drove said, "a hire car", and its true.
    Three memorable times using a hire car, "driving" a Ford Focus 2.0 through a deserted forest in Denmark and yes, the chassis is good and with a Pug 206 in a quarry in Southern Ireland. The Pug was a mess and I was embarrased to hand it back, they did me £ 20 from my credit card a few days later, probably under "damage" but I bet its not on the road now. Thirdly, was getting lost in Antwerp I came upon a dissued old oil refinery, it was raining, the roads were very slippy with the oil residues & rain, so I happily practised handbrake turns in a Megane for half an hour.

Happy times.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I always enjoy testing the many cars we get to assess suitability. Everything from Nissan Pickups to Mercedes estates. Surprising how 'cheap' cars often prove far superior to 'premium' makes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

My missus' old Audi A3. Controls were far too light, the clutch bit right at the top of the pedal travel and the brakes were snatchy. I used to drive it like I'd never been in a car before, kangarooing up the road. She used to take the P out of me and wouldn't accept it was the car and that she'd just gotten used to it!

Thread Information