User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 3 months in, still going strong!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default 3 months in, still going strong!

Evening all,

First time on here in about 2 months-ish, and thought i would give an update on my 120SRi 2005.

Well, after my initial sadness after waving goodbye to the Mundano, the Vectra has proved itself to be utterly brilliant. And i don't say that lightly. I've driven all manner of cars at great length, and this really is great. There are a few small niggles which i will mention in a bit, but apart from this - these are the good bits.

The engine; Ok i know, it's not the 'golden' 150, but having driven a 150 against mine, i'm not really bothered. yes, the 150 has more outright punch, but in reality and day to day driving, the 120 has more than enough oomph to cope, (gave a lift to a mate who has a Mondeo ST220 and he was pretty shocked at the 'off the line' slam in 1st and 2nd!). PLUS, the motorway experience is brilliant. Completely silent engine, smooth ride and comfort. Only the tyre roar off the stock 17's intrudes. We have the radio for that.

Handling; That lowered suspension really is a treat! Drove a 1.8 Club 57 plate renter - that was an absolute travesty. This, however, can be chucked around corners like you've stolen it and refuses to sweat. Awesome. The ride is very firm though, you feel every bump but it makes all the difference with the lowered springs and firmer set up. Cool.

Looks; I'm sure everyone with an SRI will agree here - this is one extremely handsome and slick looking car. The moment she saw it my girlfriend fell in love with it. We have wormen renovating some of the council flats up behind where we live, and they have their container full of stuff right over the road. Practically all of them have passed a great comment. Dirty or clean the Vec looks like a beast. The styling kit is just enough. Not too OTT. Just enough i think. Love it, there's some pics at the end

Practicality; With a family of four, i simply had to subject the Vec to the 'Tip Run' Basically, any car we own has to pass this test or forever be condemned as rubbish! The Focus failed, the Fiesta obviously failed, the Mondeo excelled, and the Vec?? Well, just a tiny bit behind the Mondeo - but for 2 whole weeks of moving chests of drawers, cookers, fridges, tv's, shed loads of full bin bags and whatever else, (we lost our gran sadly - so had to empty the flat ). The Vectra really did do us proud. I'll forgive the stupid ommision of fold flat rear seats, but a big thumbs up to the rest. It has a much easier to access rear sill that the Mondeo, wider and lower so getting things in an out isn't so much of a pain! Of course, the Vec passed this test with flying colours - and got some admiration from the local guys down the tip too!

Interior; Ok ok. I HATE the choice of colour on the trim. HOWEVER, this is one well screwed together motor. The sound insulation is tops, many have commented on the refinement and they're right - VX have done a great job compared to the god awful first Vectra. Love the little touches too - the whole interior lighting up at night when you open the doors, the subtle and effective backlighting, and most of all space up front. I thought my mates M3 had a good driving seat, but this is easily as comfy. The supportive and not too squishy seats being fine for both short and long runs. Steering wheel easily adjusted for reach and height so me and my girlfriend now share the same perfect position. We constantly bickered with the Mondeo as you sat so low down and we could never agree on the seat!!

Now, the bad bits.

Rear legroom; Whilst ok, everyone who has sat up back has mentioned this. Even a Focus has more room in the back! Ok, it's not THAT bad, but can still be a little short on leg and knee room for 6 footers! Disappointing use of space i thought, given that some smaller cars on the road belie their size in this regard. Still, it'll do for the kids!

Stereo; Ahem. I'm fully aware that the CD30 is not exactly top of the line, but considering the effort lavished on the looks and refinement - you'd have thought VX would have made a little more effort. The speakers up front are fabulous, lovely sweet sound....which is then ruined by some stupid EQ adjustment when you get to what i assume is half volume. Lucky i installed some better ones then! Also, was there any point in the rear speakers when they are that bad?They were the 1st things out, changed for JBL's and some tweeters fitted too. Shame on you - please direct yourselves to Ford for a lesson how to make powerful and easy to use car stereo's for mainstream cars, (not Lexus or Mercs) . Sounds much better now though.

Cabin storage; Flippin eck! What happened to door bins and cup holders, (sorry, but that 'thing' next to the handbrake is NOT a cup holder, it's a liability!!). Yes, the kids love the funky rear seat one, but i'm no Uri Geller and can't bend my arm back that far. Lucky i found this site that i bought a sunglasses holder on ebay, i'll forgive that given the current weather - but they really could have made door bins with a bit more room!

No more grumbles thankfully. Fuel consumption is great - i try not to get too bogged down with constant debates on this. All i know is that it's aboslutely fine for us and is cheap and affordable to run and insure

Never thought i would ever say this....

But the Vectra is an excellent car, really surprised indeed.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

You should be a presenter on top gear mate.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra gsi

Trim : Full heated leather

Engine : 3200

Year : 2004

what a read this time of night lol

glad to hear your happy m8

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : SRI NAV XP

Engine : 1.9 CDTI 150

Year : 2007

Mileage : 72K

the Vectra is one truly underrated car as the Mercedes/Audi/VW/BMW fraternity have found, much to their surprise.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Completely agree....

I bought my SXi cos I needed cheap, reliable transport.

It followed a 53 plate Mondeo, a sporty pug 407, and a chipped and lowered 2.2 dci Laguna, so arguably had some hard acts to follow - each one of those motors had some feature or other I loved.

The Vectra was (and still is), a bit underpowered, being the1.8, BUT I did buy it to convert to LPG so cheap running costs were paramount. Other than that I LOVE every other aspect of it... It even handles like a dream with decent tyres and the SXi (same as Sri) suspension.

I get bored with my motors very quickly, but have to say my next car will be another Veccy... Happy Days...

Thread Information