1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia Grand Sport

Trim : SRI VX-LINE NAV

Engine : 1.5T (165)

Year : 2018

Mileage : 37000

Default What a performer

Been busy last weekend bringing family members up to Liverpool from Eastbourne and taking them back again so that they could visit my mother who is terminally ill in hospital.

Did 1300 miles in 3 days. I admit I was a bit apprehensive at first. It was the longest driving stint I've ever done, in other than ideal weather conditions. But the Vectra did me proud. Never missed a beat.

On the way back the second time last Monday night I had to contend with pi$$ing rain, flooded roads (especially the A22 in the vicinity of Ashdown Forest) standing water and snow. 5 hours on the road (320 miles) and it was a bit of a rollercoaster ride at times, for example when I was overtaken in the snow on the A40 by a Ford Ka, doing about 60mph, which showered my windscreen with fresh snow sprayed up from its rear wheels.

Compared with 'family' cars from 10 or 15 years back the Vectra is so much more sure-footed.

And I only got lost twice. No sat nav.

'I haven’t lost my marbles, they’re in a bag somewhere? .. '
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Pleased all went safe & well, regards to Mum.

Ex Vec-C Admin / Founder Duncan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Glad it all went smoothly. I know exactly what you mean about the weather on Monday as I had to drive from Eastbourne to Battle and I took the usual cross-country route. Boy, I soon wished I hadn't!! Came back the main A21/A259 route and even bits of the A21 were a bit hairy!, having to get through water.

Sorry to hear about your Mum as well. I knew she wasn't well, hadn't realised, or remembered, that it was as serious.

Obviously you had other things/limited time, but don't forget if you're down here again with a bit of time to give me a shout.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
    Glad it all went smoothly. I know exactly what you mean about the weather on Monday as I had to drive from Eastbourne to Battle and I took the usual cross-country route. Boy, I soon wished I hadn't!! Came back the main A21/A259 route and even bits of the A21 were a bit hairy!, having to get through water.

Sorry to hear about your Mum as well. I knew she wasn't well, hadn't realised, or remembered, that it was as serious.

Obviously you had other things/limited time, but don't forget if you're down here again with a bit of time to give me a shout.
    Thanks, Duncan.

It's been one helluva last 9 months. I lost one of my 2 sisters last May, my father last June, and now my mother is on her way out.

I always liked driving along the A22 when I lived in Kingston and went to Eastbourne regularly in my pre-Vectra days, but I'd never seen it as bad as last Monday. In the dark you just don't see the flooded bits before you hit them, and on the M23 M25 and M42 hitting standing water in the dark at motorway speeds is 'interesting', and every piece of black tarmac that stands out looks like a patch of standing water. And it was the first time I'd driven in snow on a motorway. Good to know that the car copes well with whatever is thrown at it.

I also think I may have unintentionally tested the Cornering Brake Control coming off one motorway and round a sweeping bend before merging onto the next. I felt I was 'overcooking it' a bit, braked and the back end seemed to 'kick' on one side (selective axle braking?) and the car straightened up. Now that wouldn't have happened in my old Astra. Another lesson learned.

I expect I may well be down your way some time under better circumstances, and if so I'll give you a shout.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Tadpole View Post
    Pleased all went safe & well, regards to Mum.
    Thanks, mate

Ex Vec-C Admin / Founder Duncan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by john_k_sri View Post
    It's been one helluva last 9 months. I lost one of my 2 sisters last May, my father last June, and now my mother is on her way out.
    Jeez, what a year!!
    ....but I'd never seen it as bad as last Monday. In the dark you just don't see the flooded bits before you hit them, and on the M23 M25 and M42 hitting standing water in the dark at motorway speeds is 'interesting', and every piece of black tarmac that stands out looks like a patch of standing water. And it was the first time I'd driven in snow on a motorway. Good to know that the car copes well with whatever is thrown at it.
    Yep, even though I was taking it easy on the A21 on the way back, hitting a patch of standing water at 40-45mph is a bit of a wake-up!! The Signum didn't twitch or get lary, steering wheel kept straight and just went through it - and my cheeks went through the seat!
    I expect I may well be down your way some time under better circumstances, and if so I'll give you a shout.

On a Sabbatical
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

So glad your motor hadn't let you down mate, especially at ths time of need & comfort!!

It does look like you've had a really bad year.
    pass my regards onto your mum, I hope you're "the broad shoudered type".
    Not any words i can say or add, for comfort.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by mitch1965 View Post
    So glad your motor hadn't let you down mate, especially at ths time of need & comfort!!

It does look like you've had a really bad year.
    pass my regards onto your mum, I hope you're "the broad shoudered type".
    Not any words i can say or add, for comfort.
    Thanks mate. My mum's 'taking it on the chin' which helps the rest of us cope with it. As she says 'If you can't get under it, get over it'. She never ever minced her words.

Thread Information