The local dealers if driving my old Vectra
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default 'ICE' (In Case Of Emergency) - Worth A Read

This was on one of the Well Being emails I get at work.... a good idea I think so I'm posting it up here too.

We all carry our mobile phones with names and numbers stored in its memory. If we were to be involved in an accident or were taken ill, the people attending us would have our mobile phones but wouldn't know who to call. Yes, there are hundreds of numbers stored but which one is the contact person in case of an emergency? Hence this 'ICE' (In Case Of Emergency) Campaign.

The concept of 'ICE' is catching on quickly. It is a method of contact during emergency situations. As mobile phones are carried by the majority of the population, all you need to do is store the number of a contact person or persons who should be contacted during emergency under the name 'ICE' (In Case Of Emergency). The idea was thought up by a paramedic who found that when he went to the scenes of accidents there were always mobile phones with patients but they didn't know which number to call. He therefore thought that it would be a good idea if there was a nationally recognised name for this purpose.

In an emergency situation, Emergency Service personnel and hospital staff would be able to quickly contact the right person by simply dialling the number you have stored as 'ICE'. For more than one contact name, simply enter ICE1, ICE2, ICE3 etc.
    Terran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Good idea - thanks for that!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

There was a big thing about ICE right after the 7th July bombing in London. I started doing it after that, but I've changed phones/sims several times since then and have to admit I'd forgotten all about it.

'I haven’t lost my marbles, they’re in a bag somewhere? .. '
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Have had this on my mobile for a couple of years now & thank goodness never had the need for it. Also useful to put on family phones, parents/children with your number ICE. It would be interesting to know if the emergency services do or would check here?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Veccy C

Trim : SRI

Engine : CDTi

Just to note guys, was called to an incident a while ago, young lass a little worse for wear, but out cold, bleeding from the head, trying to find her name, address - anyhting..., with ambulance staff, got her mobile and looked for ICE, rang her ICE (her mum), to find out she was not only drunk but a diabetic. she didnt have a medi tag on but it gave us all we needed to get her sorted, and parents were on route to hospital... (albeit the medics are excellent they would have found out she was diabetic).
    A very happy ending for all, maybe a bent ear from the mother, but it works! as long as you dont have a pin enabled on your mobile...

worth doing....

'I haven’t lost my marbles, they’re in a bag somewhere? .. '
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    Just to note guys, was called to an incident a while ago, young lass a little worse for wear, but out cold, bleeding from the head, trying to find her name, address - anyhting..., with ambulance staff, got her mobile and looked for ICE, rang her ICE (her mum), to find out she was not only drunk but a diabetic. she didnt have a medi tag on but it gave us all we needed to get her sorted, and parents were on route to hospital... (albeit the medics are excellent they would have found out she was diabetic).
    A very happy ending for all, maybe a bent ear from the mother, but it works! as long as you dont have a pin enabled on your mobile...

worth doing....
    This answers my question, thanks for that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

about 2 years ago we had a blanket e mail from personnel to advise us to do this with the company phones, then 3 days later another e mail advising us it was just an hoax and not to do it. so i'm confused now, is it all a wind up or true??

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Veccy C

Trim : SRI

Engine : CDTi

I have ans use it myself, and not all emergency personnel use or even know about it. TBH is was a nephew about 18months ago how told me about it.

It cant hurt to have just one number setup as an ICE... you never know but lets hope you never need it!

Ex Vec-C Admin / Founder Duncan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Yep, heard about this in the past too - must admit I've never put an entry in my phone, or Mrs D's. Maybe time to do it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Been using it for donkeys years

but out of interest

if you had to call for an ambulance or police, what number would you use?

999?

did you know that when the bombs went off in London, 999 was wiped out with too many calls

BUT

they received NOT 1 call through there alternate number of 112

if your stuck, use 112, as the number will go straight through to a different section and you WILL get through to the emergency services

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information