Thread: What a weekend...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default What a weekend...

Thought I'd share this Sundays activities with you....

Me and the old man spent 4 hours + under the rear of the car changing shocks and ARB bushes and (trying) to get the control arms off! We mamanged everything bu the arms. Those bushes are really a nightmare, the clips are almost impossible to get off.

Anyway, after we clean up and put the tools away, I jump in the car to head off to my own house...I trun the key....click....nothing...

What have I done? The lights/radio/all electrics are working so I think, uh oh.... I've severed some really important cable under the car and ****ed the engine! We bump start it in the street and I park up leaving it running while we have a look and think...

I then get in to check the electrics again and when I'm done, guess what I do? Correct! I turn it off...ooops!

Can't bump it again for love nor money and now its getting darker. Got the jump leads out after checking the forum and realising that the battery may have gone. Can't jump it from my old mans avensis so I'm now sure the starters kaput

The wife has AA cover but the only problem is that she needs to be with the car (its personal cover not vehicle...nightmare I know). So I phone her and she has to get the wee one (who's just about ready for bed) to come round to my old mans gaff so the AA will come out. We've only got one car so my old man goes to collect her and bring her back. On the way back....HE GETS PULLED BY THE FUZZ FOR JUMPING A RED LIGHT!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

So, they eventually arrive back and she calls....it's then I realise that as we've been working under the car all day, the boot was open with the lights on inside

What a **** eh? The AA man arrives takes one listen to me turing the key and syas @aye, battery mate' gets the booster pack wires it up and we start first time...

He also comments on how Signums/Vectras are great cars!! (Don't know whether he meant for a man in his line of work or whether they were actually any good!!

Ex Vec-C Admin / Founder Duncan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Sheesh, what a weekend!

Yep, done that myself! Detailing the interior and had the doors/tailgate opened for several hours and hadn't turned the lights off. Combined with a battery which obviously wasn't at 100% and one dead battery!

Did you get the control arms done in the end?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

LOL. I had the same happen when I did my facelift, very easy mistake to make! Leave the door/boot open for a few hours and she'll die...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
    Did you get the control arms done in the end?
    Not yet... We ran out of light and time.

Going to give it another go next Sunday, along with the front drop links and frunt struts.

Tell me Duncan, other than following the great How 2 on chnging the arms, can you offer any advice? The nut right under the car is an absolute barsteward to get to and I'm worried about rounding the Torx head....

Do you think I would be wise to order some new nuts/bolts before attempting this again? Also, we could get the calliper off for love nor money due to the rusted on nut...should I do the same and get replacement bolts/nuts before attempting?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Did you see my post in that How 2? - http://www.vectra-c.com/forum/showth...572#post820572 - not sure if that offers any help?

Why are you trying to remove the caliper? Regarding any nuts, it's always a good idea to give them a good squirt with WD40 in advance to let it penetrate in.

You shouldn't need to order new bolts - you'd need to be pretty brutal to round them off TBH.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Also, we struggled to get the springs off for about an hour....they didn't want to come out at all and eventually we had to leave them on

We had spring compressors on and the trolley jack under the lower arm, but we just couldn't get them off...any pearls of wisdom?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Did you see my post in that How 2? - http://www.vectra-c.com/forum/showth...572#post820572 - not sure if that offers any help?.
    I'll take a look mate

Why are you trying to remove the caliper?
    To give us more room to manoevour

Regarding any nuts, it's always a good idea to give them a good squirt with WD40 in advance to let it penetrate in.
    Certainly did but still seemed to be impossible

You shouldn't need to order new bolts - you'd need to be pretty brutal to round them off TBH.
    Trust me, I nearly did on several of them!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

You really don't need to remove the caliper and I'm not sure how much extra access/leverage it would give you as you'd still have the disc/hub in the way. If only I'd been visiting my relatives in Fife, I could've given you a hand!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

i thought i read in the handbook once [i know, if all else fails, read the instruction book!] that the boot light turns itself off after a few minutes to save power. but this thread's got me wondering - does that happen or not??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information