User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: At this rate my car will be able to drive it's own way to the hospital...

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default At this rate my car will be able to drive it's own way to the hospital...

What with Mrs D's trips last year while pregnant, the birth itself and her readmission after the birth, along with her giving us a little scare recently, we were off again last night to the hospital!

Mrs D rang me when I was at the East meet at Lakeside to tell me that Cameron had a bit of a temperature. She wasn't kidding!, it was 39/39.5! He'd been fine when I left, but around 11am he started to show the signs - and he was just not his normal self. Very quiet, subdued and just not him.

So when I got home we monitored him and he was still showing a high temp. We checked him for any rashes and signs of anything untoward, which there wasn't. He'd already been given Calpol by Mrs D and we gave him some more when I got back. By around 7pm he was still very hot, cheeks really flushed and temp was back up to 39 after dropping slightly to 38.5 - so we rang the out of hours doctor's number who took some info and got one of the medical team to ring back.

They told us to go to the hospital to see the out of hours doctor and booked us in, so off we went (fortunately only a 5 min drive).

Saw the doc and he gave Cameron a good look over and apart from the temp he was fine, so just told us to monitor him etc. Got home and gave him some more Calpol to see him through the night, during which he was very restless, but his temp had gone done slightly.

By mid-morning today he was pretty much back to his normal self and his temp had gone right back down to normal - phew! - and he was very much almost himself again, just a little bit grouchy.

Kids eh? I'm waiting to see what my first trip to A&E will be with him! - it's going to happen one day, hopefully not for quite a while!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

at least he's ok

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vauxhall

Trim : Astra Twin Top

Engine : 1.9cdti

Year : 07

good old calpol....could never be with out that ....glad lil cameron is getting better

On a Sabbatical
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hi Duncan... with a two year old girl ive had plenty of those scares... and with a boy due in a few days i will have more to come...

If you have real trouble with his temp there is something better than calpol.

http://www.medised.co.uk/

its only recently gone up to 'from 2 years old' and was a 'from 3 month old' medicine.

Its only gone up as ppl were using it to make their children sleep.

Its an over the counter job and they ask u how old ur lil one is so u need to lie abit if he is younger than 2.

Looking at our bottle we got just over xmas... it does have dosages for children from 3 months old.

Trust me try it!! it really is the dog bugaroos bringing the temp down.... just dont use it all the time so it stays being good when u need it most.

Its around £4-6 a bottle ... well worth it!
    Last edited by Diet1985; 9th February 2009 at 19:25.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

i agree with Diet here, medised is a lot better then calpol, we use the stuff all the time (well not ALL the time, but you know what i mean) for our 2 sprogs, seems to be far more effective then calpol, get a bottle and try it

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Glad its all ok Dunc.

The first proper trip to casualty with one of your kids is a nightmare.

My Cameron came running back from a neighbours about a year or so back and fell over whilst belting down the drive. He must have gone down like a sack of and tripped and smacked his head on the doorstep. I was up in the loft fiddling with the boats at the time and I suddenly heard this almighty screaming, belted down the ladder at a rate of knots to find him at the foot of the stairs covered in blood and howling like a stuck pig! He had his hand to his head and at first I thought it would probably be minor, as head wounds usually bleed like mad but aren't too bad. When he took his hand away though I almost fainted. Bloomin' great hole the size of a 50p piece missing from his scalp and his cranium showing through! [or so I thought]. When we got him to A&E they saw him pretty quickly thankfully and glued him back together and he was pretty much ok. Turns out the gaping hole was from the weight of his forehead making the wound gape. Not a pretty sight though.

Horrible feeling though when you see one of your babies hurt like that.

He's a right as ninepence now though and you can't even see the join!

Hopefully there won't be any more like that......

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Poor wee fella! - back at the hospital today!

After what happened last Sunday, on the Monday he had really perked up and temp was right back down to normal so we stopped giving him the Calpol and he was fine for the next few days. Weds and Thurs he didn't sleep well at all, very restless, but no temp or any indication of anything untoward.

Friday he was fine until the evening when his temp was up again to 38/38.5 so it was out again with the Calpol to try and lower it, which it did - kind of. He had a really bad night and Saturday he was still up and down with his temp and obviously in discomfort.

This morning he really wasn't himself - very listless, very flushed and hot to the touch and a temp of 39/39.5 and just very quiet. Not like him at all, so we rang the out of hours Doc again and off we were to the hospital again. She checked him all over and this time found that his lungs weren't clear - could hear it through the stethoscope - and he had a small rash on his chest that we'd also noticed along with his runny nose that had got worse.

She diagnosed a chest infection so prescribed a dose of antibiotics and also some Ibuprofen. We hadn't realised, as nobody had said to us last time, that you can give the Ibuprofen and Paracetamol (Calpol) alternately so that they're getting something that will help more regularly, and not run the risk of overdosing on the Paracetamol. So, he's now getting regular doses of that lot so we'll see if that gets it all sorted. He did pick up this afternoon for a bit before 'dropping' again early evening but he's perked up again.

I revisited this thread to look at the Medised link and see what that was all about. After talking to the pharmacist yesterday and Doc today, the makers of the stuff say it can be given to under 2's with Doctor's advice. I mentioned it to the Doc today - just to get more info really. She said that as the anti-histamine is not licensed for under two year olds you'd be hard pushed to find a Doc that would approve it - even though the product has dosages for 3+ months, so that answered that one. Thanks for the info though guys, it sounds like a really useful medicine for when he's older.

So, just about to see if he'll go back off to sleep now as it was clear he wasn't going to settle down earlier as he'd perked up again! lol Bless.

It's horrible seeing him when he was in so much obvious discomfort and pain, and basically being able to do sweet FA about it, so hopefully all the stuff he's got will sort it out this time.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra Estate

Trim : Elite

Engine : 3.2 V6

Year : 04

Mileage : 000

Hope he gets better soon Duncan.

'I haven’t lost my marbles, they’re in a bag somewhere? .. '
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hope the little chap is soon as right as 'ninepence' that's how old I am. What amazes me about children is they do seem to take in on the chin but are sorted as quick. It's a very worrying time when it's hapening & it just goes on for ever but that's why we love them so much it's because they are ours. Hope things settle down a little for you two (three)

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hope the little fella is feeling better soon D.........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information