User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: High pitched noise coming from front right wheel?

  1. #1
    Regular Member VXR CDTi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South Wales
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default High pitched noise coming from front right wheel?

    Afternoon all! Just thought id throw this one in and see if any1 has an idea whats going on. Basicall from 50mph+ accelerating in a straight line there is very high pitched noise coming from the front right brake, this stops when i press the brake pedal but comes back when i take my foot off, its also making the noise when i go around corners, any suggestions

  2. #2
    Regular Member fredfox_uk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Northants
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    Wheel bearing ? Is there lots of play on that wheel ?

  3. #3
    Regular Member VXR CDTi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South Wales
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fredfox_uk View Post
    Wheel bearing ? Is there lots of play on that wheel ?
    Iv recently had a service and asked my m8 to check all wheel bearings for play but they r fine, it sounds like there is a stone or something trapped between the pads and disks but iv taken the wheel off and had a poke around but cant find anything. I was thinking mayb the disk or pads r loose causing friction somewhere and the high pitched noise, odd it only happens going around corners and in a straight line over 50mph?!

  4. #4
    Regular Member gtr1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Carmarthen
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

    Vehicle : Insignia

    Trim : Sri

    Engine : 140 Ecoflex S/S

    Year : 2013

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VXR CDTi View Post
    Iv recently had a service and asked my m8 to check all wheel bearings for play but they r fine, it sounds like there is a stone or something trapped between the pads and disks but iv taken the wheel off and had a poke around but cant find anything. I was thinking mayb the disk or pads r loose causing friction somewhere and the high pitched noise, odd it only happens going around corners and in a straight line over 50mph?!
    Exactly what I had on my GSi @ 67k miles. Turned out to be f/n/s bearing . When going round corners, you're putting load on the the bearing, hence the noise. In a straight line, the defunct bearing starts to float and usually shows itself as a droning noise.

    With the modern design of needle roller bearings, it's almost impossible to detect play in them. Not like the good old days when we had hubs running in ball bearings when you could detect play.

  5. #5
    Regular Member fredfox_uk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Northants
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gtr1000 View Post
    With the modern design of needle roller bearings, it's almost impossible to detect play in them. Not like the good old days when we had hubs running in ball bearings when you could detect play.
    Showing my age a little I guess !

  6. #6
    Regular Member VXR CDTi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South Wales
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gtr1000 View Post
    Exactly what I had on my GSi @ 67k miles. Turned out to be f/n/s bearing . When going round corners, you're putting load on the the bearing, hence the noise. In a straight line, the defunct bearing starts to float and usually shows itself as a droning noise.

    With the modern design of needle roller bearings, it's almost impossible to detect play in them. Not like the good old days when we had hubs running in ball bearings when you could detect play.
    Theres no droaning noise tho its just a high pitched screach but i know the noise u mean coz iv had 2 change bearings on lots of me older cars! Ill get it checked on my next day off just to be on the safe side, cheers GTR1000

  7. #7
    Forum Moderator soulman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    VOTING UKIP IN AVELEY
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

    Vehicle : Vauxhall

    Trim : Astra Twin Top

    Engine : 1.9cdti

    Year : 07

    Default

    i think something might of got trapped between the dust guard and your brake disc ...worth cking that out ........i use to work on a farm site and was often getting twigs and stones caught in there

  8. #8
    Regular Member gtr1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Carmarthen
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

    Vehicle : Insignia

    Trim : Sri

    Engine : 140 Ecoflex S/S

    Year : 2013

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by soulman View Post
    i think something might of got trapped between the dust guard and your brake disc ...worth cking that out ........i use to work on a farm site and was often getting twigs and stones caught in there
    Found this which may help http://www.vectra-c.com/forum/showth...ht=disc+shield. I did post a photo up once but can't seem to find it now. Will keep looking .

    EDIT - found it, definately worth a look just to rule it out. http://www.vectra-c.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47958
    Last edited by gtr1000; 31st January 2009 at 00:56.

  9. #9
    Ex Vec-C Admin & Founder GARY3306's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Ashington, Northumberland
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VXR CDTi View Post
    Iv recently had a service and asked my m8 to check all wheel bearings for play but they r fine, it sounds like there is a stone or something trapped between the pads and disks but iv taken the wheel off and had a poke around but cant find anything. I was thinking mayb the disk or pads r loose causing friction somewhere and the high pitched noise, odd it only happens going around corners and in a straight line over 50mph?!
    There doesn't have to be play to signify a polaxed wheel bearing. If the bearing is dry but not worn, then it will be noisy
    [SIGPIC]VX<font color=Red>R</font> with added Courtenay <img src=https://www.vectra-c.com/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.png border=0 alt= title=Big Grin class=inlineimg />

  10. #10
    Regular Member big rich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    birmingham
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

    Vehicle : Vectra gsi

    Trim : Full heated leather

    Engine : 3200

    Year : 2004

    Default

    my money would be on the bearing m8

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. fclunking noise coming from front drivers side wheel
    By dti owner in forum Troubleshooting
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 24th February 2013, 17:15
  2. high pitched noise
    By drivemyvectra in forum Troubleshooting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 19th May 2011, 16:40
  3. high pitched woosh noise when letting of
    By daveypower in forum Engine & Drivetrain
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 5th April 2011, 19:07
  4. high pitch squeal coming from front??
    By KevinG in forum Engine & Drivetrain
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 28th February 2009, 17:42
  5. High pitched whinning noise.
    By FIL 4822 in forum Vectra C / Signum Car Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11th October 2008, 16:00

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Nobody landed on this page from a search engine, yet!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •