User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could it be my upper control arms ?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Could it be my upper control arms ?

Will wearing of the bush's cause my wheels to sit on a slant (bottom pivoting outwards)
    Took the car to a garage today & they say it could be the lower control arm needs adjustment ? its not fixed yet as they said its not something they do.
    Any advice please

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Dont know for sure, but the best way to check if your upper control arms have gone is to pull your wheel towards you by sticking both hands into the wheel arch and pulling at the wheel from the top inside. HTH!

Bye bye Vec B
    - Hello Siggy!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Vaux-Man-G View Post
    Dont know for sure, but the best way to check if your upper control arms have gone is to pull your wheel towards you by sticking both hands into the wheel arch and pulling at the wheel from the top inside. HTH!
    Thanks Just had a go & the wheels do pull outwards with some force. so is that a yes I need to replace the upper control arms. & will any other parts need adjusting, like the lower control arm ? as a garage wanted £50+vat to do. Thanks for your reply

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Teza View Post
    Thanks Just had a go & the wheels do pull outwards with some force. so is that a yes I need to replace the upper control arms.
    To be honest, I would probably say yes, I remember when I tried mine, when they were pulled towards me there was a probably a couple of "mm" movement and like a metallic clunking sound.

& will any other parts need adjusting, like the lower control arm ? as a garage wanted £50+vat to do. Thanks for your reply
    When I changed mine, I did them as I was getting a horrid thudding sound when on even roads, so I changed the arms and the ARB bush's at the same time to ensure I cured the problem first time round, rather than opening it all up again and again.

TBH, I dont think that £50.00 to change the arms is all that bad, I did mine myself with the help of my dad, but if you dont want the hassle, I would say £50.00 is quite reasonable. It took us about 4-5 hour's to do both sides arms and bush's.

I bought the arms off ebay and they cost me just under £58.00 delivered to my door for the pair. Vx were more than double this!

Before you get set to change them, I would wait for a reply off someone on here as to why your wheel is leaning outwards from the bottom, I dont think this is the arm's....so better to get it all done at once rather than again and again!

Where abouts are you in the West Mid's?

Best of luck!

Bye bye Vec B
    - Hello Siggy!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Your rear wheels will naturally have a bit of toe-in (top of the wheels slanting in more then the bottom) - that's how it's meant to be. It'll also be more noticeable on a car that's lowered, which your SRi will be as standard.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Vaux-Man-G View Post
    To be honest, I would probably say yes, I remember when I tried mine, when they were pulled towards me there was a probably a couple of "mm" movement and like a metallic clunking sound.

When I changed mine, I did them as I was getting a horrid thudding sound when on even roads, so I changed the arms and the ARB bush's at the same time to ensure I cured the problem first time round, rather than opening it all up again and again.

TBH, I dont think that £50.00 to change the arms is all that bad, I did mine myself with the help of my dad, but if you dont want the hassle, I would say £50.00 is quite reasonable. It took us about 4-5 hour's to do both sides arms and bush's.

I bought the arms off ebay and they cost me just under £58.00 delivered to my door for the pair. Vx were more than double this!

Before you get set to change them, I would wait for a reply off someone on here as to why your wheel is leaning outwards from the bottom, I dont think this is the arm's....so better to get it all done at once rather than again and again!

Where abouts are you in the West Mid's?

Best of luck!
    I'm in coventry. Got the car booked in to do the wheel allignment & adjust lower arm, but not sure its going to cure the problem.
    cheers

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra gsi

Trim : Full heated leather

Engine : 3200

Year : 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
    Your rear wheels will naturally have a bit of toe-in (top of the wheels slanting in more then the bottom) - that's how it's meant to be. It'll also be more noticeable on a car that's lowered, which your SRi will be as standard.
    my 60mm lowered calibra was the worst for that....it looked the the rear axel was nackred ...but it is completly normal

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The passenger side looks more slanted than the other side. The garage said to get the lower arm ajusted first then if no good it could be the upper arm. He had a look but said it looked ok, an it would be a dealer only part. but i have seen them on lmf & ebay so i don't think he knows a vectra c to well. just trying to save some money as i don't want to pay for something that don't need doing. :-)

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia

Trim : Sri

Engine : 140 Ecoflex S/S

Year : 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
    Exactly as Duncan has said . Have a read of this http://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk/tech-camberbasics.php and then get the camber angles checked. Sounds like one wheel is carrying more camber than the others. My 67k 02 GSi had wildly different camber angles before they were checked. Now all is as it should be and the handling has been transformed.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The passenger side looks more slanted than the other side. The garage said to get the lower arm ajusted first then if no good it could be the upper arm. He had a look but said it looked ok, an it would be a dealer only part. but i have seen them on lmf & ebay so i don't think he knows a vectra c to well. just trying to save some money as i don't want to pay for something that don't need doing. :-)

Tez, just to be on the safe side, why dont you take a picture of both side rear's from the same or similar angle and let the guy's on here comment. Best way IMHO as you can be more clearer about it then! HTH!

Bye bye Vec B
    - Hello Siggy!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information