Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Does Faulty EGR cause less MPG?

Hi All,

I guess the info I want will be somewhere on this great site amonst all the EGR valve posts...but I cant find it!

My veccy seems to be drinking more diesel and at the cost I dont like it, also I think performance is a bit down, and at first start up tick over isnt the smoothest! Generally the car does go ok.

I have had the swirl valve done, then the 3rd injector was done.....is it the EGR now? What checks can I easily do?

In regard to the spanner light, this does come on when I turn on the iginition but goes out straight away...is this a current fault or an old one that needs clearing?

I get fed up and keeping paying the stealer for Tech2 etc and hoped that I could maybe be brave and clean/replace the EGR. Also what the cheapest way to get / clear codes?

Thanks......markluk

On a Sabbatical
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

At idle and on full load or full throttle the EGR valve should be closed.If it is stuck even slightly open (carbon deposits can easily cause this) the fuel mixture for each of those will be affected causing a rough idle and loss of power at high engine loads/speeds.Cleaning the valve will usually cure this (there is an 'how to' for that somewhere?).

Many local non-franchise garages can clear codes,so it's not always necessary to get ripped off by the stealers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by markluk View Post

In regard to the spanner light, this does come on when I turn on the iginition but goes out straight away...

does that on everycar!
    it's just the car making sure everything works!
    all the lights come on the dash when you turn on the ignition and the one's that don't need to stay on aftera few seconds.. go!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra gsi

Trim : Full heated leather

Engine : 3200

Year : 2004

Quote Originally Posted by markluk View Post
    Hi All,

I guess the info I want will be somewhere on this great site amonst all the EGR valve posts...but I cant find it!

My veccy seems to be drinking more diesel and at the cost I dont like it, also I think performance is a bit down, and at first start up tick over isnt the smoothest! Generally the car does go ok.

I have had the swirl valve done, then the 3rd injector was done.....is it the EGR now? What checks can I easily do?

In regard to the spanner light, this does come on when I turn on the iginition but goes out straight away...is this a current fault or an old one that needs clearing?

I get fed up and keeping paying the stealer for Tech2 etc and hoped that I could maybe be brave and clean/replace the EGR. Also what the cheapest way to get / clear codes?

Thanks......markluk
    im only in brum, i have a fault code reader your welcome to use if you fancy a drive down ...just a thought save you paying out

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Avenged View Post
    does that on everycar!
    it's just the car making sure everything works!
    all the lights come on the dash when you turn on the ignition and the one's that don't need to stay on aftera few seconds.. go!

This is only after a fault has logged, will continue to happen for a few weeks and if the fault has not shown again then it clears.
    It will not show up under normal start if there has not been a fault.

There is a prob if it comes on whilst driving

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Not sure if I should have tagged this onto this post but hey!....

My Veccy has now had money spent on her, new rear brakes, full service and MOT - all good so far!

The service and MOT was all done last Tuesday and when I picked here up she was like new again - all the power back

The engine management light was cleared as part of the service - but this came back on during startup after 150 miles or so - AND - I think the power has gone back down again

I am trying to get hold of a code reader - had a U480 delivered but that has gone back as it didnt work - I should be getting another sent as I thought it was faulty (or could it be incompatible withe my car??).

If anyone can shed some light on this I would be grateful - and whether a U480 is compatible with a 2005 (could be 2004 manufactured) 1.9cdti 150 Energy.

Thanks, Mark

PS - I dont know what the MPG is like post service but it was down to 41mpg prior to the service.

Thread Information