User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help from any police officers on here?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Question Help from any police officers on here?

I have the chance of a new job in a secure enviroment. The problem is that I have to sign a declaration and it will be checked . About 30 years ago I was booked for discharging a firearm witin 50 yards of a public highway ( 17 year old with his brothers 22 air rifle in his back garden ).
    I pleaded guilty and was fined.
    Will I still have a criminal record?
    If I decalre this I may ( probably wont ) be given the job.
    I need to know what to do. I cant afford to **** this up.
    Is there any way I can check?

On a Sabbatical
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

This crime will be classed as spent and as it was done when u were under 18 it should be wiped form your record...

But i am not 100% im only 80%

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I'm not 100% sure but i'll check when I'm at work tomorrow. I am pretty sure it won't be on your record as you were only 17 and it was only a fine. I can only check 2morrow and hopefully I'll remember. Send me a PM tomorrow to remind me.

Robbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

in fact it is spent and you don't need to declare it, look at this,

http://www.yourrights.org.uk/yourrig...ers/index.html

Robbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

one useful bit,

Employment and criminal record checks
    Employers often wish to ask questions about a potential employee’s previous convictions. The general rule under the ROA is that you can treat such questions as not relating to spent convictions (provided you are not concerned with the ROA’s excepted professions, occupations or offices). If you decide not to disclose a spent conviction you cannot be denied employment or subsequently dismissed on the ground that you failed to disclose it. Likewise, failing to disclose a spent conviction is not generally a lawful ground for excluding you from any non-excepted office or profession. Nor can a spent conviction be a lawful ground for prejudicing you in the way you are treated in an occupation or employment.

If, therefore, you are excluded or dismissed from employment on the ground of a spent conviction, you may be able to take the matter to a court or to an industrial tribunal. However, you should first seek legal advice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Two questions :
    1. Can I check this to see if I have a record in any way?
    When I was charged I was told that as it was a firearms offence, I "had" to have my prints and photo done, and being young and niaeve agreed without arguement.
    2. What causes a conviction to become spent?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

you asked so here goes,

How a Conviction becomes Spent
    The way in which a conviction can become ‘spent’ under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (ROA) will depend upon the sentence received for the offence and the rehabilitation period that applies to that sentence. The principles apply to convictions in a criminal court, findings in a juvenile court, certain offences in service disciplinary proceedings and hospital orders under the Mental Health Act 1983.

The time required before the conviction is spent - the rehabilitation period - will be different depending upon the nature and length of the sentence, be it a term of imprisonment, a fine, probation, or an absolute or conditional discharge. Relevant rehabilitation periods are set out below.

The rehabilitation period always runs from the date of the conviction and will generally depend upon compliance with the sentence. When the sentence has been served and the applicable rehabilitation period has expired, that conviction will be ‘spent’ and usually will not need to be disclosed in the future, for example, when you are applying for a job, completing an insurance proposal form, or applying for credit facilities or a tenancy of property.

Relevant Rehabilitation Periods

* Prison for more than two and a half years - Never
    * Prison for more than six months but less
    * than two and a half years - 10 years*
    * Dismissal with disgrace from Her Majesty's service - 10 years*
    * A sentence of Borstal training - 7 years
    * Prison for six months or less - 7 years*
    * Dismissal from Her Majesty's service - 7 years*
    * Imprisonment or detention in YOI or youth
    * custody for six months or less - 7 years*
    * Detention in respect of conviction in service
    * disciplinary proceedings - 5 years*
    * Fine - 5 years*
    * Young offender detention for over six months
    * but less than two and a half years - 5 years
    * Probation order or community order - 5 years
    * Hospital order under Mental Health Act 1983 - 5 years or 2 years after order ceases to have effect, whichever is the longer
    * Young offender detention for six months or less - 3 years
    * Absolute discharge - 6 months
    * Conditional discharge, binding over, care order, supervision order, reception order - 1 year after making of order or 1 year after the order ends, whichever is longer
    * Disqualification - Period of disqualification

*Note: These periods are reduced by half if the offender was under eighteen at the date of conviction.

Excluded Sentences

Convictions resulting in the following sentences can never become spent:

* A sentence of imprisonment, youth custody detention in a young offender institution or corrective training, for a term of more than two and a half years.
    * A sentence of imprisonment for life
    * A sentence of preventative detention
    * Detention during Her Majesty's Pleasure or for life or a sentence of custody for life.

New Convictions and Other Principles Affecting Rehabilitation Period

If you are convicted during the rehabilitation period of an offence which can only be tried by a Magistrates’ Court, the new sentence will carry its own rehabilitation period and will not affect the earlier one. If the second offence is more serious and you receive a sentence covered by the ROA, the earlier conviction will become spent only when the later one becomes spent. If a person is given a sentence which can never become spent, this also prevents an earlier unspent conviction from becoming spent.

It is important to note that it is the length of the sentence imposed by the court which is relevant and not, for example, the length of time actually served in prison. A sentence counts in the same way whether you are actually sent to prison or the sentence is suspended.

Where a person receives two or more prison sentences in the course of the same court case, the rehabilitation period depends on whether the sentences are ordered to take effect concurrently - at the same time - or consecutively - one after another. As an example of what is meant by this, if two six-month sentences are concurrent, the offences are treated separately, giving each conviction a rehabilitation period of seven years. However, if the sentence is consecutive, they are treated as a single term of twelve months, with a rehabilitation period of ten years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

if you want to check if you have a criminal record I suggest you go to your local police station, think you'll need to fill out some freedom of informationact stuff and wait.............................................. .................................................. ..............

quite a long time as it's ever quick!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Looking at the info you have sent, it does look unlikely that I would have a record, as it was 30 years ago, and as a first offence only a fine was imposed, no actual time spent behind bars. So I should be ok to just deny/have selective memory etc when I fill the form in confident that their check wouldnt find anything?
    Stuppid realy, just bad luck that I lived in an end of terrace house and a detective sergent lived about 5 doors away. I suppose it was an easy booking for him.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

ooh nasty neighbour! I'm a copper, we're not all bad!!!! LOL

YOU DON'T HAVE TO DECLARE IT, 100% BELEIVE ME! I didn't know earlier but having read about it now, I do!

Good luck with it mate, 30 years for a silly little fine is plenty enough time to forget!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information