Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Another Signum on the way out

Having owned 3 Signums over the last 4 years, time to move on I am afraid.

Felt it was time for it to go as it has just turned 40k miles, out of warranty later this year, new rear tyres needed (again!!!!!) due to droning, after only 12k miles, drivers side wing mirror wobbling (can't be fixed, new one needed) and wiring harness fault earlier this week resulting in the car stopping in the road (not going into limp home mode) and therefore needing to be recovered to dealers.

Had been thinking about changing it anyhow (like to change every 18 months or so) as I could really do with an estate car for work.

Wanted as many 'toys' on the new car as possible (have 56 plated Elite 1.9 Siggy at moment) but didnt want to spend too much money though. Dismissed Vectra estate and another Siggy due to fancying a change from VX - but will probably come back in 18 months when I can change again to Insignia estate (hopefully some 6 month old ones will have hit the market then).

Decided in the end to go for a Peugeot 407 SW 2.0Hdi Sport (136bhp). Has pretty much everything the Siggy has (except leather), drives and looks OK (not with the refinement of the Siggy) and the deal seemed right. New car is 9 months old (08 plate), 13k miles in silver and has the panoramic roof (which is pretty impressive).

After speaking to Peugeot dealers all over the country eventually went down to Northants yesterday and did the deal - car was £10995 (very keenly priced already for the Sport model) and, after negotiations, cost to swap was £3800 (including transfer of my private reg and the remainder of the 3 month tax on the Pug), therefore I got in the region of £7300 for my Siggy, not bad considering the lowest I had been offered for it had been 5k - although, to be fair, this was a one-off and most had offered me somewhere in the region of £6750.

I will probably be offering the roof bars in the for sale section sometime over the next week - all the other stuff will fit my dads new 57 plated Veccy he has just bought.
    Last edited by dave45040; 22nd January 2009 at 20:03.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Picked my 407 SW Hdi up last Sunday, and thought I would write a quick report on my first weeks impressions of it!

Car drives very well - 17" wheels help to give it such a smooth and quiet ride - something I cant remember ever having with my Siggy.

As for the 'toys', it has Sat Nav (I think it is 7" screen) which is on a par with the CD70 (not DVD ROM based it is sattelite based), built in phone (was a bit of a pain having to get a second SIM and then keep having to divert calls to it from my mobile each time I get in the car but I have got used to this now), Panoramic Roof (nice when the sun is out!) which makes it feel light and airy inside, dual zone climate, 30GB hard drive for me to store music onto, Video mode (can play DVD's through an aux jack whilst car is stationary) and rear park assist. It also has a great menu system to use, allowing you to programme all the auto lights, wipers, park assist, auto dim mirrors etc.etc. Wing mirrors auto folding upon locking too.

All in all, pretty much everything my Siggy had, except front park sensors and leather (heated) seats - although I have to say the fabric sport seats are just as comfy, if not comfier. Although it has some form of TMC (to let you know of road closures etc.etc.) I don't think the Sat Nav has the ability to re-route like the CD70 had.

Another nice touch is that the tailgate glass opens independantly of the boot (very handy for me for work). The 'standard' headlights are far superior to what the Siggy's were like, and I haven't yet got round to putting the Osram Nightbreakers in yet (which I took from my Siggy before I changed it which will fit into the 407) - but they couldnt really have been much worse eh?

Engine is very smooth too, certainly as refined as the Siggy but not quite as powerful (obviously as its only 136BHP as opposed to 150BHP), but plenty enough for me - and thus far I am getting between 5 - 10% better fuel economy.

As you may read, I am more than impressed with it so far. I thought I would miss my Siggy but I havent as yet. As I mentioned in my previous post this should see me through the next 12 - 18 months when, hopefully, I will be able to pick up a nearly new Insignia Estate (presuming i like them in the flesh of course!)

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

the only problem with the peugeot is,it is french

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by solorider View Post
    the only problem with the peugeot is,it is french

Was wondering why the steering wheel was on the left hand side and why I couldnt understand a word the pleasant woman on the Sat Nav was saying!

Thread Information