User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: Damaged car going over rocky ground - Help please

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    liverpool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Unhappy Damaged car going over rocky ground - Help please

    As it says, I have just got back from windermere, where we went down a stupidly rocky road (foolishly following the tom tom). It was more like a farmer track / wide footpath. As we got to the end of the track the car bottomed out on a lager rock. The Spanner light came on on my dash straight away.

    When I looked under the car there was frayed wire/ pipe. This comes down from the engine bay (I think) in the middle of the car, just behind the front wheels and then runs rearward down the middle of the car for about 6 - 12 inchs ( that is as much as I could see anyway) This wire looks like its coating is breaied. I dont have a clue what this wire / tube is. Can anybody shed some light on the following please:

    A) what it is
    B) what it does
    C) how to replace it and how big a job it is.

    I wish I could give a better description. All comments are warmly welcome.

  2. #2
    Ex Vec-C Admin ed taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Looking Through a Camera Lens.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I wonder if it is the wire for the Lambda sensor. Can you trace it back up into the engine. If it is the Lambda sensor wire it will go to the exhaust pipe some where.
    If it was the ABS wire. I would have thought the ASB light would have come on, and stayed on. That might eliminate a possible cause.

  3. #3
    Regular Member Craig1985's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    harwich essex
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Lamba sensor to the cat POSSIBLY tho the normally bolt on the top of the cat i think? cant you repair the wire?

  4. #4
    Regular Member Craig1985's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    harwich essex
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ed taylor View Post
    I wonder if it is the wire for the Lambda sensor. Can you trace it back up into the engine. If it is the Lambda sensor wire it will go to the exhaust pipe some where.
    beaten to it again!!!! twice today

  5. #5
    Regular Member n_hudson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Northampton, UK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Can you take any pics?

  6. #6
    Regular Member big rich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    birmingham
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Craig1985 View Post
    beaten to it again!!!! twice today
    its that ed taylor, he beats me normaly aswell lol

  7. #7
    Regular Member ade0303's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Manchester
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thompo5 View Post
    As it says, I have just got back from windermere, where we went down a stupidly rocky road (foolishly following the tom tom). It was more like a farmer track / wide footpath. As we got to the end of the track the car bottomed out on a lager rock. The Spanner light came on on my dash straight away.

    When I looked under the car there was frayed wire/ pipe. This comes down from the engine bay (I think) in the middle of the car, just behind the front wheels and then runs rearward down the middle of the car for about 6 - 12 inchs ( that is as much as I could see anyway) This wire looks like its coating is breaied. I dont have a clue what this wire / tube is. Can anybody shed some light on the following please:

    A) what it is
    B) what it does
    C) how to replace it and how big a job it is.

    I wish I could give a better description. All comments are warmly welcome.
    I followed the exact same route, all along the side of the lake in my dads RS4 until I got to a point where it was impossible to go further, all the cyclists and walkers looking at me like a Tw@t

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    liverpool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ade0303 View Post
    I followed the exact same route, all along the side of the lake in my dads RS4 until I got to a point where it was impossible to go further, all the cyclists and walkers looking at me like a Tw@t
    I know how that feels. managed to battle to the end of path. passed 2 walkers and they looked at each other like 'WTF is he serious trying to drive that down there?!?!?!' I was gutted. I got to 2 meters from a tarmacked road an hit a huge rock. I didn't like it in my car, I would have hated it in a RS4.

    I could try and take pics tomorrow. I'll also post a pic of the track we went down.

    I could possibly try a repair it, splice the ends and then wrap em in tape, maybe.

    Would this be safe? IE just reconnecting the ends of the wires and wrapping a load of electrical tape around the connection???

    It does come down from the engine then sits in what looks like a little grove under the car b4 disappearing above the exhaust. If this is any help
    Last edited by thompo5; 18th January 2009 at 18:41.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    liverpool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

    The track is Old Hall Rd on the map. From High Wray to the crossing at the ferry. I would stay well clear unless you are in a 4x4.

  10. #10
    Regular Member Ste's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    ..... Driving the Jaguar XF
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    IF it is the O2 sensor, then a temporary repair as you describe would be OK, just join the same coloured wires together.

    Disconnect the battery to be sure.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. will it need to come down to the ground abit
    By philgst in forum Vectra C / Signum Car Chat
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 27th February 2010, 21:48
  2. Can i ground my amp to the stereo ground?
    By Ziggy in forum Electrical & ICE (including SatNav)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 18th September 2009, 17:07
  3. old ground?
    By jimbob78 in forum Vectra C / Signum Car Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 22nd January 2008, 08:43
  4. Rocky Balboa
    By Fearns in forum General Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 29th December 2006, 02:30

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Nobody landed on this page from a search engine, yet!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •