Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thumbs down Virgin Atlantic Sucks - Major Rant Sorry

I wasn’t going to rant about this but after a few days stewing I thought what the hey!!!! Reading back it’s quite long and wordy but the whole 7 and a half hours going home was sheer hell!

We went to Florida for Christmas and New year, While it was a great holiday, the one thing that let us down was Virgin Atlantic. My wife and I were travelling with our three kids aged 7,3 and 1 (15 months to be exact). The journey out was fine, We were provided with a sky cot so the baby could get his head down and give us a few hours rest. The staff onboard were great and took a shine to the kids Apart from a broken coffee cup spilling on my lap and a broken entertainment screen all went well.

The journey home was a night flight. We checked in and enquired about the sky cot again….we hoped the baby would sleep most of the way. ”Yep you got it” was reply from the manager at check in .

We boarded and found our trays were broken….all four of them. Everything roled into our laps. We were advised by the staff to use the shelf for the sky cot during the meal service, Then 15 minutes later another member of staff told us off. For Pete’s sake we had a baby and four meals to manage and no seat trays. There was no consistency our understanding here.

We were offered the sky cot twice after take off but the baby wasn’t ready so we said maybe later. As people bedded down for the night, a flight “attendant” came up to us and informed us they had decided we couldn’t have the cot. Why? The baby was over 12 months. However, he was under the size and weight limit written on the bulkhead.

Soon after a “manager” came to us, She couldn’t get our name right…Hughes? Smith? Jones?, She stood over us waved a piece of paper with the “rules” on in our face and was quite aggressive saying that she wouldn’t be giving us the sky cot no matter what our argument and that she’d be writing about us in her report. Bare in mind we hadn’t bee rude, sworn or shouted, the missus was in tears and the manager just wouldn’t stop barking rules at us…in the end we told her that if she wasn’t going to help, she should go away and leave us alone, she got the message second time around. She even offered a baby bottle as compensation when the baby was known to have a milk allergy. One passenger offered to look after the baby while the missus freshened up and gave her a tissue.

So we struggled for 5 hours, the baby wouldn’t settle, we couldn’t settle and I expect the passengers around us couldn’t settle. Finally 2 hours from home (5am UK time) the baby fell asleep in the missus arms. 1 hour later BREAKFAST. All the lights went on and we were presented with hot coffee and Tea and hot food. Remember, the trays were bust. I had one child on my knee the missus had the baby. The missus was presented with a hot drink and food, Being in a skycot seat we had extra legroom and the seat belt sign was off, she lay the baby, still asleep at her feet, so she could hold her hot food and hot drink as we had no were to put them.

Well that went down like the Titanic. She was told to pick the baby up, She refused, there was no way she was going to hold a baby while hot tea and coffee was being passed around. Besides he was asleep and peaceful for the first time in 10 hours (we’d driven for 4 hours to the airport and he wasn’t happy then either).

A manager arrived and with a little more tact than the previous manager asked us to pick up the baby, . Again we refused. We argued that if he was awake, he could walk around, sit or do what he liked, but as he was asleep he had to be restrained?, this was a problem for the cabin crew. In the end the manager said she’d have to report it, fine we said and she left.

10 minutes later after finishing her breakfast, the wife went to the loo and heard the cabin crew we talking about us. While she was in the loo they moved the trolleys around to block her path back to the seat while another flight attendant who had had nothing to do with our section of the plane set to work on me. It didn’t work. Then, when the missus got back to the seat, we were called bad parents, told we would be met by the authorities at the gate and be barred from Virgin….Bring it on we thought. 5 minutes after that the baby woke and we put his seat belt on, 20 minutes after that the seat belt sign came on.

On average I fly twice a week, In May when My father was on his death bed, Virgin let me down when I was trying to get back from the US before he died. In 5 years of flying, I have never seen a passenger spoken to as we were and frankly I felt Virgin have a clear anti baby policy. We flew Monarch to the Maldives a few years ago with our daught when she was 1 year old and the airline gave us extra seats on the day free of charge.

There were no authorities at the gate, it was just a threat, The staff were inconsistent and in some cases rude and aggressive. And if I ever have to fly Virgin again, it will be too soon. I thought about writing a letter of complaint, but what would it achieve?

So my advise, If you have a baby or an emergency Do not I repeat Do not rely on Virgin.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

My advice would be to write to the airline, explain the situation and ask what their rules are, and why their staff are so badly trained.
    If it's in their flight report (and probably isn't) it will be highlighted.

I don't know what's gone wrong with Virgin -they used to be great.

Phil

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

My parents have also said that Virgin have really gone downhill since the good old days.

The last time they had trouble they wrote a letter and got some compensation I seem to remember. I'd write it just so they got a complaint against the flight

If it works like some retailers work, if your store gets a complaint, it is marked down...three in a year and you get a big red cross on your reports, and it dosen't go down very well with the big bosses.

Needless to say, my staff behave really well, as they know they will get a roasting if we get any sort of bad complaint!!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Very surprised to hear this about Virgin,have flown with them numerous time in years gone by,not recently though,so will be very reluctant to book with them due to your experience,its the last thing you need when you have 3 kids, one of them being just over 12 months old,the first time i've heard of bad customer service from Virgin.............

Ex Vec-C Admin / Founder Duncan's Avatar
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Jeez!! Were the cabin crew British or American? - or mixture? Just curious if it may have been some 'attitude' against British.

I'm amazed toy kept your cool m8, I think I'd have been if it'd been me!

As already said above, I'd write an absolute stinker of a letter to VA head office so that it's logged and the crew get hauled up over it. That's outrageous behaviour on the part of a few of them.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Most of the crew we met were fine, it was just the two managers and this loose canon. We didn't get names we just wanted to get off. Every one got a thank you and good bye, we got deathly silence. They were all northern lasses from Manchester and Liverpool.

As for a letter...I really don't see the point, I have no intention of using them again, the only exception may be a business flight, in which case I will ask work to find me another route.

Ex Vec-C Admin / Founder Duncan's Avatar
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Brocks View Post
    We didn't get names....
    That's a pity!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brocks View Post
    As for a letter...I really don't see the point, I have no intention of using them again, ...
    Yeah, you may not fly with VA again but they (VA) should be told the reasons why and what you experienced and get those three hauled up - then they'll think twice before doing it to someone else.

Seriously m8, it'll be a PITA to sit down and write the letter but these companies will never know that they have 'bad apples' if people don't bother to complain/let them know.

On a Sabbatical
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

My friends stated this the other day, when they where flying back for christmas... Virgin has really gone downhill in a short period of time and not very good customer service no longer; which is a shame...

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I've flown Virgin to New York and they have been fantastic especially compared to American Airlines. I would write and make a formal complaint as they are currently boasting about 25 years of life and I'm sure Mr Branson wont be very happy! Unfortuately the crew seem to worship the customers at the front of the plane and treat the cattle at the back like..................cattle! Who can afford to sit there though! At the end of the day though we all pay to get there and 10 hours is a long way to be wound up by obnoxious staff and poor equipment!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Steve,

Half the letter is written already. Just need to take the smilies out.

Definiatly fire a letter off to them mate. The broken trays seem to have effected everything. Whilst I can see where they were coming on with the baby on the floor (If I've read it right) they should have been bending over backwards to help you out given that the trays were broken which made meals, drinks and looking after the little one ****** dangerous.

As for saying the authorities will be there to meet you. WTF was that about? No wonder the missus was in tears. Not on at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information