Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Replace brake warning light sensor - help

Hi,
    I've been getting my brake light on intermitantly lately, until it can on constantly yesterday.

I've recently changed the suspension, so I know my brake pads were fine last time I checked them..

So I thought the sensor must have been loose, so I took the wheel of today, and had a look at the sensor wire:

As you can see the brake warning sensor has two VERY thin wires inside, and one of the has snapped.

I tried doing a temporary fix of soldering them together (but the solder wouldn't stick to them) Also tried some electrical tape, but because they are so thin it was impossible to get them to stay stuck to each other.

Does anyone know how to replace the Brake Warning Sensor wire?

One end seems to be clipped into the Caliper (not sure if I'll have to remove the caliper to access it )
    And the other end has a big connector on it that I'm not sure how to unclip.

Any help greatly apreciated as the warning light 'does my head in!'

Thanks
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

i would just disconnect the wanring sensor completely and join the 2 wires together ths will turn the light out on your dash and then next time you do your brake pads change the complete brake wear sensor.

Mat

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

from memory there may be just enough room to take the sensor out of the caliper with out taking it apart. also from memory im sure the connection plug just pulls apart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I would take the sensor off, and then I'd be able to repair the sensor until I next change brake pads, but I'm not sure how to disconnect it. I don't want to break anything else while getting the off.

I can see just in the caliper, that there may be room to take disconnect it from that end, but not sure how it disconnects, and don't want to just pull it, because it may break.
    Also the other end, it has a big connector thats clipped into the wheelarch.
    I've unclipped it from the wheelarch so I can have more play in the wire, but I'm not sure how the big connector disconnects. I've upclipped a small ring at the top of the connector, but this just gives access to the wires, and doesn't unplug anything.
    The connector looks like it's two plugs joined together, but I wanted confirmation first befor I started trying to pull things apart.

If anyone could give advise, or had a picture of a warning sensor wire that wasn't connected, then I could get a better understanding of what unclips etc..

Thanks
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I suppose they look something very similar to these:

(taken off Ebay for Rover 75).

The little end clips into the caliper, and the big clipped end clips against the wheelarch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

yeah very similiar to that but the plug isnt as big as that one. but yes it is a plug and a socket joined together. if it was me i would cut the wire as close to caliper as i can and leave sensor in the caliper, then i would cut the wires about 2 inches from plug and join the 2 wires togther, this will turn light on dash out and then id just replace the sensor next time pads are due. you will find it hard to repair that one, as the only effective way of doing so is so solder but the wires will be dirty and full of cr*p so may not work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

So just to clarify... the two thin wires, Cut them both, and connect them together? so the sensor things there is a current going through, and make the warning light go off?

I think i'll try that as a last resort.
    I'll try and disconnect the whole thing and repair it first through. If I can disconnect it from the caliper, I should be able to unplug the whole thing, and try and solder the snapped wire back together, then put it back on the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The sensor is dead easy to replace, costs around £10 from main dealers, but make sure you order the right length, as long as the wheel is turned full lock left you can get to it quite easy

failing that, get a crimp terminal and crimp the 2 wires shut

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Does anyone know a part number for the brake sensor?

Last time I got my brake pads replaced, they said the sensor needed replacing every time the pads are changed. Is this the case? They also charged me £7.50 per side. I've checked, and there is only 1 sensor on the passenger side! so they kinda got me there..

I think I'll try a crimp terminal as a temp repair, but don't think it will work because the wires are so thin and fragile..

Also does anyone know how to disconnect the brake warning sensor without removing the caliper?

Thanks
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by danlat1415 View Post
    Does anyone know a part number for the brake sensor?

Last time I got my brake pads replaced, they said the sensor needed replacing every time the pads are changed. Is this the case? They also charged me £7.50 per side. I've checked, and there is only 1 sensor on the passenger side! so they kinda got me there..

I think I'll try a crimp terminal as a temp repair, but don't think it will work because the wires are so thin and fragile..

Also does anyone know how to disconnect the brake warning sensor without removing the caliper?

Thanks
    Dan
    the cable should just pull out from the pad, then trace the wire along and disconnect it from the multi plug, then just unravel it from the various plastic lugs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information