Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Previous car and the DVLA

I received a lovely letter through my door yesterday, apparently im being fined for not informing the DVLA that my previous car had been scrapped.....

Ok "Fair enough" you might say (and so would I), but the documents needed to do this are part of the V5 regsitration which my insurance company made me post to them in order to proceed with the claim.
    The insurance company did tell me I needed to declare SORN, however this was not possible when I tried online as the vehicle details no longer existed.
    Perhaps I should have phoned them instead of assuming it was ok, but I spoke to family/friends about this and was told it shouldn't be a problem and "the insurance will sort it out".

The fine is £35 if I pay up before the 24th, im inclined to pay up just to save the hassle, but as they're saying ive "commited a criminal offense" im reluctant to do this if it means gaining a criminal record for it.

This whole badger writing my car off incident is really getting expensive now!!!

Any experiences??

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Jaguar XF 3.0D V6

Trim : Black

Engine : 3.0D V6

Year : 0000

Ring them and explain. Has the insurance process all complete now????

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The insurance process is complete yes, im going to phone the insurance and then the DVLA.... My insurance should have sent the relevant part of the V5 to the DVLA.
    Im not holding my breath though, as ive heard they can be real **seholes about this kind of thing.
    The DVLA website gives much more information than any of the forms/documents ive been sent, which kind of stinks really as anyone without web access wouldn't have a clue what to do.

This whole affair is just taking the **** now, it's cost me a small fortune already........ I wouldn't mind so much, but it wasn't even my fault!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Ok....... This is getting silly.

I sent the form back telling them that the insurance company asked for the V5, which they've accepted, but now they're fining me the same amount for not informing them in writing that i'd given the V5 to the insurance company.
    And it's at their own discretion as to whether they acknowledge receipt of said written letter and it's your own responsibility to ensure it gets to the DVLA (they have denied that letters send by special recorded delivery have reached them).

So basically it's a ****ing stealth tax, no matter what I do they're going to fine me.

This issue is all over the internet and people who fight to the bitter end are actually winning in court over these fines (case thrown out), some are even making counter claims against the DVLA for time wasted (in the case of small businesses), after months of fedning off the bailiffs.
    The action of the DVLA are being determined to be against the law in some way, but i don't have the details.
    There was fairly recent scam of the DVLA selling our private details to other companies for advertising purposes (shown on BBC watchdog).

It's not about the money, it's about the fact that I knowingly did nothing at all wrong, I just followed the instructions given by my insurance company.
    It's also about the fact that if this does not get stopped then the DVLA are wrongly scamming thousands of people out of these £35 fines every week.

I'm inclined to pay this stupid fine, but im like a dog with a bone.... I will not be letting this one go. I'll actively do whatever I can to stop this happening to other people, even if I have to post in every forum on the internet.

Oh and this:
    http://www.carreg.co.uk/number_plates/get_news/162

Another money making scam, treat people like crap and wait for them to complain.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : saab 95

Engine : 2.3t

Year : 2006

u will not win this

u should have filled the bottom out saying the insurance company is now the owner of the car and sent it off b4 u gave the insurance company the V5.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by yorkshireborn View Post
    u will not win this

u should have filled the bottom out saying the insurance company is now the owner of the car and sent it off b4 u gave the insurance company the V5.
    They asked for the full V5, it's very common. It allows them to dispose of a vehicle much quickly. The DVLA even mention this fact somewhere hidden away on their website.

It's so easy to fall into this trap, a colleague of mine, his other half recently wrote her car off on an icy road, they also sent the full V5 to the insurance company (as requested), im going to make sure they write to the DVLA and chase it with phone calls until they get their confirmation letter.

Oh and I forgot to mention, someone must have informed the DVLA that the car was scrapped because I got a tax disk rebate through the post in November.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : saab 95

Engine : 2.3t

Year : 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Birchy63 View Post
    Oh and I forgot to mention, someone must have informed the DVLA that the car was scrapped because I got a tax disk rebate through the post in November.

thats it u said it there some one else did

when in fact it has to be u this is why u got the fine

as 4 the tax rebate ive no idea prob a different dept in the DVLA issued it.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Well im sending a cheque in the post by recorded mail and then chasing them up by bypassing their 0870 number thanks to info on http://www.saynoto0870.com/

I read somewhere that these fines were making them around £3.5m a year, im quite frankly disgusted with the whole thing and I'll certainly be making as many people aware of this as possible. If I can prevent just one person being caught out by this I call it a victory!

Hopefully the 190+ people who have viewed this thread will remember it well.

Thread Information