User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 2.2 DTi. What could be causing the turbo wastegate not to work?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default 2.2 DTi. What could be causing the turbo wastegate not to work?

Hi. My Vectra 2.2 DTi has lost most of it's power (it still drives) and the spanner light keeps coming on. Checked all the pipes etc. Local garage diagnosed the fault as P0234 "turbo overboost". By clamping the turbo wastegate valve shut with a couple of cable ties, full power is restored, although when driven fairly hard the spanner light again comes on - so the cable ties are not a proper solution. What could be causing the wastegate not to open/close automatically? I've tried replacing the vacuum valve solenoid that is attached by pipes to the wastegate. No change. Tried cleaning the boost pressure sensor. No change. Any thoughts on what else could be the problem with the wastegate?? thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    572 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : SRi

Engine : 150

Year : 05

Mileage : 74000

well it can only be a vacuum problem by the sounds of it. Check the actual vacuum going to the wastegate solenoid. Its this vacuum which keeps it held shut. Check it before the solenoid ie coming in from elsewhere, check with your finger as a rough measure or use a proper vacuum guage. If vacuum is ok to the solenoid then its got to be something controlling it. Theres a 2 pin plug i think connected to it and this is controlled by the engine ecu.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

thanks. There's definitely suction on the pipe going into the wastegate solenoid but it's tricky to tell whether there's any suction in the pipe going from the solenoid to the wastegate. Doesn't the suction only kick in when the engine revs pick up? I checked with a voltage metre that there's power in the 2 pin plug that attaches to the wastegate solenoid. Could it be the ECU not sending the right messages to the wastegate solenoid (or am I imagining problems that just don't exist)?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

A thought? If the wastegate is usually "open" but is caused to close (and therefore allow turbo pressure to build) by the action of the vacuum suction, what happens if I bypass the wastegate solenoid? If I connect together the input and output pipes from the solenoid, I should then have permanent suction on the wastegate, so in theory it should be permanently closed. If my theory works, it might help me narrow down where the fault actually lies. I'll give it a try later today.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Well, bypassing the wastegate solenoid made no difference. Could it be the wastegate itself that's broken? Do they break down?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Found the problem. I bought the car at auction, and the car came with the problem. Some idiot had put the vacuum and outlet pipes on the EGR solenoid the wrong way round. So I was losing vacuum in the system because of this. There wasn't enough suck to operate the wastegate, and so I had no turbo boost. I've spent hours on this, and can't believe it was such a simple solution. Incidentally, I did buy a new EGR solenoid as part of my attempts to trace the problem. So, if anyone needs one, let me know!

Thread Information