Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Irmscher Quad exhaust fitting problems 2.8T Elite

Hi there

I have purchased the Irmscher left and right back boxes for my '07 Vectra 2.8T Elite.

With the back boxes received and still waiting for the new lower skirt for the bumper I thought I'd have a go anyway by cutting a little of the existing skirt out using the template and a bit of measuring. This should also give me a little bit of coloured plastic to leave with the spray shop man to match up the new skirt!

The cut-outs have gone well and are square and neat and all looks okay except I cannot quite get the tailpipes square. The two ends of the existing Y-piece flare out to almost 180 degrees to each other. As such I can't see how this would give any adjustment other than up or down at the end of the back boxes. I need to be able to twist the boxes (looking at them end on). Would this not need an additional joint just next to the front of the box where the pipe enters? I did think about loosening off the pipe in front of the Y-piece to allow some rotation of the whole thing, but this would then put the other side out. (The right side is square but the left side sits slightly clockwise from where it should looking end on).

Does anyone have any experience of this and any tips on how to fit them straight? The new lower skirt will only make the visual effect worse. Will I have to reach for the blow torch and start bending things a little? I would hope the tolerances are tight on the Irmscher stuff (especially considering the price of these!). The existing exhaust system is all original.

If it helps the part number for the boxes I have bought is i3408163.

Thanks in advance for any help received!

Regards
    Clinton

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

First of all I'd try and turn the Y piece 180* and have a look at it again.
    You should be able to clamp the Y piece to the forward section and then rotate the back-box itself at the next joint to get it level.

If your still having an issue try bending the movable hanger on the back-box.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Okay, thanks for that. I'll have a look as soon as I can at turning the Y-piece around. The only thing is I'm not sure if it's symmetrical but will have a look.

Also, at the moment the weight of the boxes are not spread equally on the hangers. To try and keep them straight all the load is on the inside hangers and the outside rubber is almost slack. As such it's the pipe angles in front of the boxes preventing them from sitting square.

I was thinking of using the old exhausts (as levers) fitted back to the Y-piece off the vehicle and a little heat to try and alter the vertical angle between the two branches. I'm worried about cracking or folding the pipe though!

Cheers

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hello again

Just an update.....

Borrowed some more wheel ramps today so I could get right under the car. I loosened off the mid-section of the exhaust so it could twist a little and this has made it possible to line up the tail pipes better.

I did remove the centre section to have a go at changing the angle between the branches but gave up before I broke something!!

Now the tail pipes sit square but the right hand pair have a tiny bit more projection than the left hand pair (only noticeable if you know it's there or are scrutinising)! The joints can always be pulled apart / pushed together a bit to sort this out.

When I have the proper rear skirt I will do a permanent job on it and get it right. Either way, loosening off the centre section too so it could rotate definitely helped to get things right!

Regards

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

hi m8
    when i did mine i put all together under the car but did not tighten it up.
    you really need the skirt on to allign it all up.
    it took me a good 2 hour just to allign it up before tighting all the clamps.
    take your time and all should be fine. just be patiant m8.
    if you get a m8 to stand a the back and guide you in getting them straight.
    i also found that the rubber hangers on the backboxes are to big and the boxes hung to low when i tightened the brackets on the backboxes,so had to go to halfords and get some smaller ones.
    hope this helps
    if you need any more info give me shout and i will try and help.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Glad you got it all sorted.

Thread Information