User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Major complaint takes my car off the road!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Major complaint takes my car off the road!

http://www.vauxhall.co.uk/vaux/pages...dex.jsp#vectra

http://www.vauxhall.co.uk/vaux/pages...dex.jsp#vectra
    2002 onwards 5W-30 ACEA A3 / B3 - ECOService GM-LL-A-025, GM-LL-B-025 - ECOService Flex
    2006 onwards 5W-30 GM-LL-A-025, GM-LL-B-025 - ECOService

My car went in for it's fourth service on 22 December
    On completion I asked what oil had been used, so that I could go to the parts department and get some additional oil for future spare use
    Without even checking the documents
    We've used 10w40 oil
    I asked if they were sure and could check, as it should be on 5w30 oil
    No, your car doesn't need that oil, your car is on ECO Service, due a service every 20K miles or 2 years so it only needs 10w40 oil
    I pointed out that that was not correct either as it is on ECO Flex with a service every 30K miles or 2 years
    There aren't any Vectra with a 30K mile service interval

This was now the third service where the same answer had been given, so took the matter straight to Vauxhall and had a response, including some lovely documents to take to the dealership

As instructed by Vauxhall, retured the car today to discuss the matter
    Sadly their invoice system only shows the type of service, there is no list of parts used
    As a result the dealership disputes the oil they have used previously, but does agree that the wrong had been used on this service
    Since the car servicing is paid for under my warranty, I then phoned them and asked them to send copies of the three previous services so that we could compare what work had actually been paid for (as it also lists the parts)
    After about 30 minutes these arrived and indeed also showed and confirmed that 10w40 oil had been used, as I had reported to them previously

The dealership then advised me that Vauxhall wanted to discuss the matter with myself and not them
    Clearly as the dealership has made a serious error, not only to my car but also with every other 2002 onwards Vectra C which they have serviced, Vauxhall has instructed the dealership to write to every owner advising them of the error, and to arrange a free oil service within the next 6 months for any affected customer

Vauxhall instructed the dealership to perform an oil and filter change immediately on my own car
    They have also to check the engine for any damage that may have been caused
    I had the choice of having this done immediately or booking it in and having a free courtesy car at the end of January
    I decided that since I will not need the car until the first week of January they could do it now

I have a relative who also has a Vectra C and was serviced there, also using 10w40 oil, although I had no reason to suspect that 5w30 oil was also required
    I have informed them to expect a letter in January asking them to return for the free oil service, and if they don't to contact me and I will give them the claim number that I have

Apparently the Service Department only has 10w40 oil
    They were under the impression that if a customer wanted 5w30 oil they had to either provide it themselves or pay the difference between them!

I then phoned a few other local VX dealerships in the area, run by different companies
    I asked how much it would be to service a 2005MY SRI 3.0 V6 CDTI and what oil they would use
    They ALL responded 10w40, although Lindsays did advise me I would have to pay £23 extra for 5w30 and Peter's was £31 extra; almost right but still wrong!

So be warned, ask what oil they intend to use, and if they either mention 10w40 when you ask for a quote or prior to the work commencing, refer them to the service specification!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

good work that man, certainly something to watch out for as my car is due its service now
    Wayne -

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra gsi

Trim : Full heated leather

Engine : 3200

Year : 2004

thats why i change the oil myself as i know whats what, i bought my oil and filter for £30 off ebay ( vauxhall 5w-30 fully sin oil ) ....but a good point all the same m8

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : Design

Engine : 1.9 120bhp

Mileage : 139,600

a lot of dealers use 10w40 oil as most lease companies will not pay for 5w30 oil,my car has only had 10w40 oil in its services and so long as the service intervals are changed from 30k/2 years (diesel) to 20k/1 year there will be no issues.i have to admit the dealers should warn thier customers and give them the option,also the vauxhall menu service should supply 5w30 as that should be what is on the list of parts,BUT not always as there were problems which i did complain to my service manager on a number of times when i worked for a vauxhall parts dept

Old School Vectra-C.Com. Residing in sunny Leeds.
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : SRi

Engine : Z22SE (2.2 Petrol)

Mileage : 137000

My dealer stated they could change the service intervals from 20k to 10k (petrol). This would be altered on the car's dash intervals as well. If I wanted to change then the oil grade would go from 5w30 to 10w40. I'm sure it even says in my service book that 5w30 is supposed to be used on the 20k.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vauxhall Warranties are paying for my services
    I therefore contacted them after having it confirmed the car should be receiving 5w30 oil
    Their response was as follows, and they are sending me a confirmation by post
    As far as we are aware we are paying for a manufacturers specification service, as detailed in the policy documents and contract, and if this means using 5w30 oil then that is what they should be using

Ironically, the car has been serviced at the following intervals :
    17 months - 9010 miles
    7 months - 18036 miles
    10 months - 20489 miles
    9 months - 19403 miles

One thing I do notice is that the mileage and service indicator are pretty much in-step from 31000 to 20000 miles
    From 20000 miles to 10000 miles I get about 6000 miles
    However in the final 10000 miles I only get about 3000 miles, the difference rapidly means I need to consider booking a service within the next month
    I suspect that if the car was indeed on 5w30 oil, instead of 10w40, it might indeed make the full 31K miles between services!
    I am quite happy that the oil is being changed at intervals of about 20K miles, what I an NOT happy about is the wrong oil!
    I plan to own the car until 2010, one year after the warranty expires, and using the wrong oil may cause premature wear or damage

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

What dealer is this and did you phone linwood? So should my cdti have 5/30 in it. At no extra cost?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Been there , done that. Stealers obviously buy large tankers of god knows what quality 10w-40 oil, and use it for everything..........see my previous thread.....
    http://www.vectra-c.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63188
    Despite having to get a "qualified! mechanic to change my oil & filter for a stamp every year or 20k, I will be changing myself in between, if onlly for the peace of mind of knowing that the oil is 5w-30, and that a filter has been changed..............not that I dont trust the stealers...

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by scottyd View Post
    What dealer is this and did you phone linwood? So should my cdti have 5/30 in it. At no extra cost?
    2006MY 1.9 CDTI
    Yes, 5w30 for all 2002 onwards Vectra (irrespective of engine)
    If you go to the first two links, print those out and take them in to dealership

I also have an email from a VX and a claim number, which if you PM me your email address you can then print out and take with you
    This email clearly states 5w30 oil should be used

I normally use Arnold Clark Glasgow South (Pollokshaws)
    However, yesterday I phoned several others in the Glasgow and Edinburgh area
    Can you please give me a quote for a service on a 2005 Vectra SRI 3.0 V6 CDTI and what oil do you use?
    They all said the same thing; 10w40 as standard
    I then asked about 5w30, all but two said it was not required
    The two that did said it was an optional extra which had to be asked for
    Linwood was not ones of the ones I phoned, but feel free to try my sample question

Make it VERY clear when getting the quote for servicing AND when presenting the car that they are using 5w30 oil

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

With the two Vectra 1.9 CDTI - 150's I've had, I've only been given the option to have Mobile-1 at Picador / Southampton in any service or oil change, it was the same with the wife's Astra CDTI when we had it,

Good find thou mate.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information