User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: towbar electrics, something already plugged in?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default towbar electrics, something already plugged in?

Hi Guys,

After getting some great advice off here as usual, I now have my towequipe towbar.

I thought i'd get the electrics sorted first but I have hit a stumbling block already!

I've got all the wires in and out the bottom and the module plugged in (went for a vehicle specific kit) but when I look at plugging in the loom there is already something plugged in...

It appears that the wires from the plug in the way run down to a purple socket that isn't plugged into anything under boot liner, is this pre-wired or something?

Do I take that plug out and replace it with the one I have?

I can provide photos if necessary!!

Also will I have to have the wiring tech2'd I found conflicting results on a search!

Cheers!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

We had this on my estate, which is another whole story Anyway, if memory serves, and assuming yours is the same, the existing plug runs down to another plug that is in the rear well area (slightly different on the estate) that is for the towbar electrics.
    It can get a bit confusing because the wires from it kind of mix in with part of the same loom that is for the rear parking sensors.
    Now after a bit of discussion, and with the help of Mark making some phones calls to Vx technical dept, it was discovered that this other towbar electric plug down in the well has never, ever been used. You can’t get a loom to fit it. You can’t get a plug to match it so you could make your own loom. It’s just there, but it’s useless.
    So, I think that if you unplug the existing end in the fuse box and just tidy it up out of the way, you should be just fine to plug you new loom in as per your instructions.
    But, just double check the parking sensors, assuming you have them, still work.
    In my case, on the estate, we also discovered that there is about as much chance as Elvis winning this week’s national lottery as there is of the supplied loom actually reaching the fuse box. It’s just way to short.
    As we also discovered, thanks to Marks chat with Vx technical, that at the time, they only made one loom for the saloon, hatch, signum and estate. Well derr, no one obviously ever considered the estate is a bit longer.
    I believe they have now released a longer loom for signum and estate.
    Your other alternative, should my first suggestion not work, or you have parking sensor issues, is a bit of diy.
    This is done entirely at your own risk, and you need to understand basic wiring at least before attempting it. But you can cut the plug off the loom in the well, and cut the plug off the new towbar loom and marry the two looms together. This is what I had to do to mine as the towbar loom was too short to reach anyway. If memory serves this was relatively simple as at least the colour of the wires matched up !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

haha yeah mine is an estate!
    So far I have taken what appears to be three cars worth of trim out...

I was wondering if it was a plug for a towbar down in the well, there is a white one also but I think I'll ignore that! (parking sensors??)

I'm just going to go for the unplugging and trying the new one, I am not blessed with 'girlie' sensors so hopefully I won't have a problem!!!

Thankfully the loom is plenty long enough! I probably have a bit to spare! I wonder how many people it took to think up that modification

Did you get the module with yours and did you have to tech2??
    Last edited by Adamdavi3s; 30th December 2008 at 16:46.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Lol, estates rule, I’ve never heard anyone else complain about the plug/socket being in use, so maybe this is an estate thing ?

The boot gets even bigger by the time you've emptied all that trim out of it doesn't it !

Yes there is a towbar plug in the well, its behind the trim in the little tool well, but it has never, ever, on any model, ever been used !!!

The sensors rule, I thought they were a gimmicky idea at first, but having had them now, I think they're an excellent idea, don’t complain to me if you brought a poverty spec model without them.

If your loom is plenty long enough to reach then you must have the updated version, not an old stock one, and it took me, Mark, and a bloke at Vx technical to sort that out. (really it did, the tech bloke said he would look into it after we told him the loom was way too short, this was the first they had ever heard of this !!!)

Yep, I got the module, as I used a genuine Vx wiring kit, not an aftermarket one, hence Vx technical getting involved.
    Nope, I was lucky, mine lit up straight away with no tech2 required.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

If you have the Vauxhall electrics to fit to the car, the simple answer is unplug the one thats already there and plug in your new loom.

I had this plug already in use on my previous Vectra hatch and Signum. The parking sensors will work just fine. But they won't always switch off when a trailer is attached.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hi I just fitted my towbar and wired it in, towbar was easy enough now the wiring, I unplugged the module in the fusebox and plugged the towbar one supplied with towbar in. I then attached the relay box and earth wire to the chassis of the car then there was a fuse that had a 10 and 5 fuses in it so I put these into the only available fuse space left. Now cat lights etc everything works fine but when I plugged in the trailer I got nothing from the trailer lights. Can anyone help what have I done wrong? Thanks.

Hampshire (Near Havant) . .Drives: Signum 1.9 CDTi
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Signum

Trim : Design

Engine : 1.9 CDTi

Year : 2005

You need to have it enabled with TECH2 or other Vauxhall programming software.

Have a look in the guides sections as I think there is a 'Hard rest' guide but not sure if thats just to reset a problem

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Cheers but have I put everything in correct place??

Hampshire (Near Havant) . .Drives: Signum 1.9 CDTi
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Signum

Trim : Design

Engine : 1.9 CDTi

Year : 2005

No idea.

Have a look at the guide: http://www.vectra-c.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110140

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Aye that's the one I followed but this was a two socket one so had a relay and am earth wire to attach and another wire with a fuse connection and two fuses in it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information