User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: What could cause grinding and creaking after a nasty pothole encounter??

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default What could cause grinding and creaking after a nasty pothole encounter??

Hello peeps!

Yes, every drivers nightmare! I got shook to kingdom come by a crater of a pothole yesterday!

Since then I've had a terrible creaking when coming to a halt, braking. Not as bad when applying brakes going up an incline, and worse when going down an incline. If I'm stationary and on any measure of downwards incline and I press the brakes I can get a little junior version of the noise!

So, from my tiny little mind I can deduce that it's something that will be carrying pressure under forwards momentum!

Ive had the car up, wheels off, checked track rods and rod ends, tightened strut top bolts, tightened the three bolts that hold the top of the strut in (drivers side, where the worst noise is, was a bit loose) checked springs for breakages - none.

Sprayed all bushings I could get to with copious amounts of WD40. Still there!

This is especially galling as I replaced my whole knackered suspension with b4s and Eibachs last month, and new track rods also. She was running very tight for a 2002 car with 80k on it!

Now I'm also convinced the steering feels different, as if I have to turn a bit more to get round the same corners! Though I could get it checked for alignment again (also done last month!)

Can anybody with more knowledge than I offer any suggestions as to what item c ould give this problem with the significant jolt I took (nearly knocked me teeth out!)

I'm thinking arb and drop link bushes perhaps? Any other bushes in there that could go? Engine mounts? Could they be destroyed with one bang and give the type of creaking I'm having? I see a lot of people complain of similar when the rad mounts are shot.. though I am doubtful that could happen instantaneously from a pothole hit.

Hopefully not a knackered shock- only a few weeks old!!

Any help much appreciated guys!

Cheers!

Nick :-)

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Anyone who's fixed squeaking rad mounts/bushings know where i should be looking to check this part out?

Cheers!

Nick :-)

Thread Information