Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Turbo issue???

Hi folks,

I have a question to ask. Has anyone had the turbo replaced on their 2.2 diesel SRI Vectra.

I have a 04 plate 2.2 diesel SRI. In April 2007 after only 43k miles it started to go into limp mode at random times when driving normally. When it was looked at by the local vauxhall dealer the problem was diagnosed as various issues all of which were replaced to no avail and eventually they said it was the turbo - This was then replaced (under warranty) and the car ran fine again - UNTIL NOW!!

I have covered an additional 30k miles on the new turbo!!!!
    And now the car is suffering in exactly the same way. Every now and then the car will just go into limp mode.
    I took the car to another vauxhall dealer and.......... surprise surprise...... they say its the turbo.

I'm no expert here but to be on my third turbo after only 73k miles would sudgest there is an underlying problem.

Having spoken to the tech and stores guys at the Aberdeen dealer they say its a farily common issue. They even keep the turbo's on the shelf!!

What I dont understand is that they are managing to diagnose it as a turbo problem from pluging the car in to a diagnostics machine.
    I'm not aware of there being any wiring to the turbo?? oil, water, air - thats it!

Surely if the car is going into limp mode then it is picking up an electrical fault? Surely a turbo is a purely mechanical device.

I did hear something about a bearing in the turbo - but then surely there would have been a reason for this and fix for this on the new turbo???

I called vauxhall UK direct to discuss this and see what their take on this was but they were not very helpfull TBH.
    I was told that 30k is a considerable mileage for a turbo!!!! WHAT????
    They also said that they considered this to be acceptable.

If I thought that a new turbo would solve the problem them I'd just get one fitted and that would be that, but whats to say this wont happen every year??? At £307 for the turbo and fitting on top its not exactly something I want to do every year.

With a 20k service intervall they might as well include a turbo in the service pack!! (Car is serviced at 10k for piece of mind).

Sorry for the rant but I am at a loss with this and its our family car. Dont want it cutting out when the wife is overtaking with the kids in the car etc.

If anyone can offer any help or advice it would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Duncan

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I didn't think the turbo was a common fault on the 2.2dti. The tech 2 would pick up things from the other sensors that could point to the turbo, but it all depends on how you read into what these fault codes are saying. IMO it would be more likely the boost sensor or a split boost hose on the 2.2. Have a search for threads on cleaning the boost sensor and the turbo boost hose. I'd start with these before sticking a new turbo on it.
    Now I need a turbo to keep up!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks for the reply.

The guy has given me the fault code of P0100 which would be the MAF sensor (If I have the correct info).

Could an incorrect reading on the MAF result in any issue with the turbo?
    In other words - has a fooked MAF killed the turbo?
    - I know that with a subaru a MAF sensor failure can result in under fueling and a failed engine. (Just going with my experience on other cars here)

I will instruct them to inspect the mentioned items but neither of these were changed the last time - only the new turbo was fitted to solve the problem.

Also - have just spoken with the garage and they have informed me thet there was an issue with the origional turbo - something to do with the oil feed. (This may be related to the bearing I heard about suffering from oil starvation???) Although they assure me that the new one that was fitter 30k ago was a modiffied one to rectify the issue.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

If it was the turbo that was the issue originally then I can't see it going again after 30K - unless it's been abused or something not fitted correctly like oil feeds.

A MAF sensor isn't going to affect the turbo, just the fuelling and give you lumpy running.

As BigSig said, on that engine the boost hoses are a very well known common problem. Start by inspecting the large black boost hose all over for any tiny splits, then any other rubber hoses for the same.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Right, time for an update.

I spoke to the mechanic and went through the logical steps to decide what the problem is.

We sat down and decided that it cant be the turbo as its a mechanical device and the car is showing an electrical fault.

Swaped the MAF due to it being the fault code but made no difference as we both suspected.

Removed & inspected the boost hoses to and from the intercooler, all looked fine.

Checked all vacume hoses (the next step was to plumb in a boost hose to determin if overboost was the problem) but all looked good. Still soft not hard and brittle with heat.

Removed and cleaned boost sensor - was a little dirty but not too bad.

Removed and cleaned Throttle Body as it was also looking a little choked in crap.

Re-fit everything and out for a test drive - all is well again.

So thanks for all the advice and info. Saved me a fortune.

Next question is on the EGR valve. On my Accord Type R there was also a small steel plate that directed flow to each cylinder via a small orifice, from the EGR valve. This could be removed and cleaned to cemove carbon build up - is this the same for the Vectra?

Also - is it possible to bypass the EGR valve al together on the Vectra?

Thread Information