Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Another new toy for xmas. Acer One 150AB

I've treated my self to quite few toys this xmas, ie. a 160gb PS3 with a load of games. A pricy RC Helicopter. (lol..never too old to play)
    and I did buy a 32gb Ipod Touch.

The touch has now been returned to Amazon, and I might add they refunded me within 2 days which was quick IMO, always found them quite good to deal with and the first time I've returned anything to them.
    It was not faulty, it worked fine, but wanted something just a little bigger, so I ordered the 1gb mem 120gb little Acer One, which arrived yesterday, and I must say, its a really good Netbook for the money, much better than I was expecting. I wanted something small, which I could access the net from say Hotels etc, without having to cart my larger 17" Tosh Laptop with us, as I had done in the past.

It comes with a cut down version of Linux, a system called Linpus, but I've zapped that off, and installed XP using a USB stick with XP installed on it, as I didn't have a external USB cd drive. (one now ordered) I dont mind Linux but this Linpus is a bit crap, one's better putting something like Ubunto or similar if you wish to keep using Linux. I just find XP a bit easier to use these days.

I've added a extra 1gb memory to it today to give a total of 2gb, but what a game it is to do. You have to totally dismantle it to add memory, as there is no memory access in the bottom like most laptops.

Plays films superbly, even COD etc. plays well, and it seems to have a good wireless range.

Overall, very pleased with it, and I can highly recommend the Acer One to anyone considering it. (Even comes with its own carry case)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-Aspire-...511896-3595913
    Last edited by 67688c; 19th December 2008 at 18:01.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I've been looking at these netbooks as well, thinking of getting one for my work bag instead of carrying round the 15.4" monster I currently use.

Can't decide whether to go for the Lenovo or wait for the new HP mininote to come out...

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by JuzzyD View Post
    I've been looking at these netbooks as well, thinking of getting one for my work bag instead of carrying round the 15.4" monster I currently use.

Can't decide whether to go for the Lenovo or wait for the new HP mininote to come out...

Depends what you want to use it for obviously, both the one's you mention look desirable, had a read on those myself.

I almost went for the Samsung NC10. but I couldn't really justify spending £324 (Amazon) especially as I already had a decent laptop, There's a lot of dedicated support sites for the little Acer One, its the best selling Netbook at the present time, and I'm starting to see why. Many in forums have mentioned it has a good panel, and I must admit the screen is one of the best I've seen on a small notebook, very sharp indeed, uses one of the new led backlight panels.
    Just hope it turn out to be failry reliable, as Acers can be a bit hit n miss these days so I'm told.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I bought one of the Acer One 150AB's when they dropped a little in price and as Cameron43 says the linux os installed is abit rubish, so I did the same wipe then whack xp on. I use mine mainly for whacking films on and watching while out and about, the only problem I found with it is the poor battery time compaired to my friends eee-pc.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by j0shuar View Post
    I bought one of the Acer One 150AB's when they dropped a little in price and as Cameron43 says the linux os installed is abit rubish, so I did the same wipe then whack xp on. I use mine mainly for whacking films on and watching while out and about, the only problem I found with it is the poor battery time compaired to my friends eee-pc.

Yes that 3 cell standard 2200ma battery could have been a bit better, not really tested how long it lasts, but from what I read most seem to be getting just over 2hrs or so. Pity they didn't fit the 4400ma as standard.

I noticed there are loads of higher rated batteries on Ebay, Found loads about £50 which knocks the run time to about 6hrs, but holding off until after xmas now, see how I get on first, as I shall probably have access to mains power most of the time, so may not need a larger one. ie. bigger battery = more weight.

Thread Information