Thread: adjusting headlights

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default adjusting headlights

hi all ive been told my self levelling lights are too low the question i need to know is how far from a wall should i be if i do it myself? i know how to adjust it on the light but not how far it has to be from a wall to get it right??? tia

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

found this mate. hope it helps.

Mat

Begin by measuring the height from the ground to the centre of the headlight. The headlight "centre" is directly in front of the bulb, and is usually marked with a dot, a cross, the bulb type designation, or name brand. At the wall, measure this same height from the ground up, and mark this point on the wall. Repeat this for the other headlight. Now join these two points together. We will call this line "X - X". For each headlight, using the same marks, draw perpendicular lines. These we will call "A - A" and "B - B" respectively. Next, find the centre line of the vehicle itself. The easiest way to do this, is to measure the distance between the centre of the left headlamp and the centre of the right headlamp. Split this width measurement in half to get the distance from one headlamp to the centre of the vehicle.
    The next step is to mark the wall at this centre distance between the two headlight marks. To check your markings, walk to the back of the vehicle and look through the windshield. The centre point you have just marked on the wall should line up in the centre of the vehicle from looking through from the back to the front.
    Now, measure 1" down from the left and the right "X - X" marks, and join these two points with a horizontal line. Measure 1" right from the "A - A" marks and "B - B" marks, and join the lines. After you've marked the wall, it should look similar to the picture below.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia

Trim : Sri

Engine : 140 Ecoflex S/S

Year : 2013

Or you could try parking 100 feet or so away from a wall (retail parks tend to have flat ground and big walls), put dipped beam on and, if one is lower than the other, bring the lower one up to the higher one. I plucked 100 feet from the air but 50 feet would probably do.

Then, using the adjusters, crank both lights up so the beams go up say 6" on the wall. Go for a drive and see what you think. If not happy, repeat process.

There will come a stage when, on a very dark road, the furthest edge of the beam in front of the car will just start to leave the road surface. This is the optimum setting. Did this on my GSi and it works a treat (and was spot on when they checked it on the MOT).

Mind you, cost me a fair bit in fuel going backwards and forwards to dark lanes.

Or pop down to your local MOT place, slip em a few squid, and get them to do it?

Thread Information