Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

confused remaps and chips

hi everybody,i've been thinking about going down to the local performance garage and checkig out about gettin my car chipped and remapped,but i've also been talking to my friend about it too and he said that they usually take it to the higest limit,as in remapping it and gettin the most out of its power.but doing this,would the engine be going under too much strain,and if it will would i need to by aftermarket products for example a new clutch that will take the higher power? :S confused i'm not engineer lol i'm just a simple plumber,so if anyone knows about this could you help,i'm driving a 1.9CDTI 150,and also if anyones had it done what do you think of the outcome? thanks for having a read

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

It all depends on the remap. Any increase in power is obviously going to put more stress on the engine, but as long as it's done sensibly and in harmony with the engine then any long-term reduction in life of engine/clutch etc. will be minimised. That's why tuning boxes aren't as sympathetic to the engine than a good remap as the box just alters one factor, fuelling, by fooling the engine - no regards for anything else so long term not good. A remap will alter fuelling but a whole lot of other variables too to make the car work in harmony and to be more driveable.

If you're looking at a remap then you get what you pay for and remaps from the likes of BSR, VXRPC/888/EDS are all very much tried and tested.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

It all depends on what you want out of the car. I have had 3 out of my 4 1.9 CDTi 150's re-mapped and have never had one issue, and I do 30,000 miles a year.

Regarding the reliability side of things, you have to look at several things. Firstly, choose a reputable company to do the work, there are loads out there, but I would only recommend 4 companies who have a very good reputation and use good software.

These are :-

Courtenay Sport Ltd www.courtenaysport.co.uk (Based in Norfolk)

Courtenay use their own software and have a fantastic reputation for customer service and products. I have driven one of their customers cars (1.9 CDTi) with a re-map and in my opinion is the best software out there at present. They also have a rolling road so the cars are live mapped whilst on the rolling road. They are in the middle of know where but worth the trip.

VXR Performance Centre http://www.vauxhall.co.uk/vx/microsi...tre/index.html

These guys use the german EDS software, it is very good, I had one of my Vectra 1.9 150's mapped here and I can honestly say it never gave me an issue in any area in 12 months and 30,000 miles. However they don't have a rolling road.

DAP Performance www.dap-performance.co.uk (based in Rotherham)

DAP also use EDS so you would be getting the same product as the VXR PC. Also no rolling road.

BSR (www.lmfvauxhall.co.uk) Based in Leicestershire

BSR is a do it at home system, you buy the hand held PPC and read the cars ECU, then over the internet you log onto BSR's sever and they look at what version of software you have and re-send it back to you. The benefit of this is that you swap and change between standard and tuned at any time.

I had this system on my Astra and it gave near on 200bhp and in 32000 miles, not one issue.

If you drive the car hard and abuse it, then you will expect problems, but if you drive and look after the car properly, then it will give you no problems.

But my advice is to stay away from these tuners who claim they can do any make and model and stick with the Vauxhall dedicated tuners like the ones listed here.

In my opinion, BSR and Courtenay would be my first choice, then EDS after this.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

thanks dunc,sounds pretty good.seen a couple eh threads and you've gave some wise info on cheers,al go take a loot about and see what i can come up with.

not too sure on the lmf but it sounds a good idea,think a like the thought of courtenay tho,so be up for a road trip.would you recomend gettin the car remapped then after having three done.i've had this car for a few months now and have some plans for it and i'm passed the bad boy days.want something more reliable but at the same time the funs got to be there.thanks for all the info,think al stick to the forums than my friend

if the engine tuning is harmonised,what about the brakes.would they need upgraded to a higher spec.
    Last edited by WKD-mcc; 13th December 2008 at 13:51.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : SRI NAV XP

Engine : 1.9 CDTI 150

Year : 2007

Mileage : 72K

I agree wholeheartedly with everything Duncan has said. It's a good idea to upgrade your brakes after a remap to cope with the extra power. A number of us with 2.0T engines have upgraded our brakes from 302mm standard to 314mm. The 1.9CDTI has 284mm disks as standard so an upgrade to 314mm would certainly be worth considering.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thumbs up

thanks john al get on that one too,great help folks thanks a lot