Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Jaguar XF 3.0D V6

Trim : Black

Engine : 3.0D V6

Year : 0000

Default Grade II listed house and building a conservatory

Me and my wife are interested in buying a new house, which is Grade II listed.

We consider the downstairs could benefit from a conservatory on the rear elevation, into the garden.

As I have never owned a Grade II listed building, I have questions about how to go about doing it.

What is the process for applying, who to, can I ask the question about likelihood for approval before we choose to purchase the house? etc.

Anyone got any experience of this kind of thing?

TIA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Ste View Post
    What is the process for applying, who to, can I ask the question about likelihood for approval before we choose to purchase the house? etc.

http://www.planning-applications.co.uk/listed.htm

Read the above, then get in touch with the Planning Dept at your local authority.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Mazda 3

Trim : Sport

Engine : 2.0

Year : 2004

Ste, you would need to not apply for Planning Permission, but also Listed Building Consent and then of cause Building Regulations if you get that far. I am an Architectural Technician and most of my 4.5 years experience has been to do with Listed Buildings, mainly churches and they are a right pain in the a**e.

Anyone who works with them says they would not buy one, good luck and you can always PM me if you have problems or queries.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

If you have a Grade II listed building there are many restrictions on what can be done to the building, even when carrying out relatively minor repairs to windows etc. The best option is to go to your local council and ask to see the duty planning officer, they tend to have one on duty each day.

Make sure you have as much information with you as possible about the property with regard to what you wish to do eg design of conservatory, size etc etc. If you have any information with regard to recent planning history passed on by the previous vendors this is also helpful.

If you discuss the options with the planning officer at this stage there is generally no fee involved, they may even be able to give you a written response regarding the likelihood of approval (or lack of it) before you go down the actual planning application route which becomes costly.

The planning officer should also be able to tell you if your home is in a conservation area or AONB (area of outstanding natural beauty, MGB (metropolitan green belt etc) If it is in a conservation area your problems may multiply as controls are generally very strict in these areas on development

Hope this helps

On a Sabbatical
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Fruit'n'nut View Post
    http://www.planning-applications.co.uk/listed.htm

Read the above, then get in touch with the Planning Dept at your local authority.
    Good luck with the planning department, it can be a long process; but worth it in the end...

As you and your wife, will get the home that you wanted

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

My house is in a national park, and I have many similar restrictions as those imposed on a grade II listing.

Basically it's a total pain in the A***!!!!!!!!!!

The planning office are good and very approachable and offer lots of advice and help...........no planning permission just help and advice!!

If I was you I would make some SERIOUS enqs about the likelihood of getting permissions before you make any financial commitment.

You may well find you could have a conservatory but it would have to be made from solid wood, constructed to specs they require etc etc and cost you as much as the house did..... The likelihood is that you wouldn't get it as you are making an addition not an alteration or repair. I can only go on my experience, and it is a minefield to say the least
    Last edited by sonic; 10th December 2008 at 19:12.

Thread Information