User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fitting new clutch and flywheel on 2.0T - what else should be looked at/replaced?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Ex Vec-C Admin / Founder Duncan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Fitting new clutch and flywheel on 2.0T - what else should be looked at/replaced?

The rear main oil seal on my car has been leaking for a little while now. Nothing too major, but just enough to leave oil over parts of the lower section of the engine, mostly on the rear obviously - so something that needed sorted out at some point. As it requires the gearbox to be dropped out for access it would have made sense to have changed the clutch and probably the flywheel given that I'm just gone past 70,000 miles.

It was a job that Mark (GSi3.2) and I had talked about tackling at some point but with both of us being so very busy with work and home stuff, and 2.5 hours apart, it's something that we've simply not been able to sort out a time to do.

Of late the flywheel (at least I'm sure that's what it is) has been grumbling more and more (bl**dy DMF's!!) - judders at low revs/idling and the odd slip from the clutch when I've been a bit heavy with the right foot on occasions (although I have been generally driving lightly to be gentle on the clutch). The clutch won't have been helped by the oil leaking from the seal down the back of the engine into the bell housing and probably onto the friction plates.

So, given that I'll be driving up to the NE and clocking up 500+ miles (even more if I head up to Scotland too) I was just a little bit wary of doing that distance knowing that things weren't 100% and only likely to get worse.

So, I spoke to my local dealer today, who I get on very well with, to see what the best price they could do me on labour. They'd already agreed to give me a decent discount on the parts if I'd just been going to buy those - but they still came to over £800!! Thing is that given the mileage, and that the gearbox will be dropped anyway to do the oil seal, it would be stupid not to just replace both the clutch and flywheel no matter what condition they looked in.

The normal price for doing the whole shebang would have been £560 but they priced it to me at £400 - which equates to over 25% discount which I thought wasn't at all bad, so I snapped their arm off and got it booked in for Tuesday.

So, the question I have for anyone who's done a clutch and flywheel on a Vectra C / Signum - especially on the 2.0T - is whilst they have the gearbox and clutch etc. all off, is there anything else I should have replaced or at least looked at and checked to see if it needs replaced.

They're going to be replacing the clutch with the full clutch kit i.e. inc. slave, flywheel with new flywheel bolts and rear main oil seal.

Anything else while that lot is being done?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Clutch has started to slip on mine, started about a month ago so will be changing the clutch in January when I'm back home. Can't afford to do the flywheel as well though Need two new tyres as well

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

What mileage you done? If it's a reasonable amount you'll seriously want to consider doing the flywheel at the same time. Last thing you want is to go to all the expense of having the gearbox dropped and only do the clutch only to find 10,000 (or whatever) miles later you need the flywheel replaced and all that labour again. We know what these bl**dy flywheels are like on these cars - somewhat of a common problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
    What mileage you done? If it's a reasonable amount you'll seriously want to consider doing the flywheel at the same time. Last thing you want is to go to all the expense of having the gearbox dropped and only do the clutch only to find 10,000 (or whatever) miles later you need the flywheel replaced and all that labour again. We know what these bl**dy flywheels are like on these cars - somewhat of a common problem.
    Just clicked past 90k Depends on how much a flywheel is D? Clutch is £200 at trade price and labour is free, but it's not something I can afford to do TBH as I know it'll cost a bit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Clutch cable? (or is that part of the kit already?).

Old School Vectra-C.Com. Residing in sunny Leeds.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : 9-3 Wagon

Trim : Turbo Edition

Engine : TID (1.9 16v)

Year : 2010

Mileage : 137000

Quote Originally Posted by JuzzyD View Post
    No cable, its hydrolic mate.

You wont go far wrong asking over on Z22SE D. As the big posters are either Mechanics that do loads of work on our near Identical lumps or Vocky who has a CDTi vec but who also strips tunes and rebuilds his 2.2 for a laugh, if they don't know its not worth asking. Dazsri150 is the mechanics name on here. There's also Benny.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by JuzzyD View Post
    Clutch cable? It's not a Corsa B.

Might be worth getting the slave cylinder and the pilot bearing done, they should always be done IMHO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

£200 trade price?! Jeez, that's a lot less than the price I was given for the clutch. Was that the whole kit inc the slave - part # 93185921 If so where from ?!! lol The retail price I've got is £346 + VAT which they said they could knock 10% off.

The flywheel (93184589) is £420 + VAT retail - again with 10% knocked off that.

Very interested to see what the prices you get for both those parts is as I'll be having another word with the parts dept. if there's a lot more discount available at trade price.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
    £200 trade price?! Jeez, that's a lot less than the price I was given for the clutch. Was that the whole kit inc the slave - part # 93185921 If so where from ?!! lol The retail price I've got is £346 + VAT which they said they could knock 10% off.

The flywheel (93184589) is £420 + VAT retail - again with 10% knocked off that.

Very interested to see what the prices you get for both those parts is as I'll be having another word with the parts dept. if there's a lot more discount available at trade price.
    93185921 yep same part no. Haven't checked the price from the stealers that's just a paper price. The retail on that one is £303 so the trade will probably be closer to £250 with the increase.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Lol! Shows how long its been since I've had my head under the bonnet...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information