Ex Vec-C Admin / Founder Duncan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Ste View Post
    Duncan explanation of ECO isn't quite right.

What ECO actually does is to not engage the A/C when the set temperature is higher than the incoming air. Ie, only heating of the fresh air occurs, no conditioning. If the set temp is lower than incoming air, then AC will engage.
    That's not what the manual says or what I've experienced when I've turned on ECO on my own ECC.

Manual says...

Activating and deactivating cooling Switch off the cooling (cooling compressor) to conserve fuel whenever cooling or drying is not needed. In the menu for manual settings, highlight menu item AC and press to select. ECO appears in the display.

Inflowing air is neither cooled nor dehumidified. This restricts the level of comfort provided by the electronic air conditioning system. This may cause the windows to mist up, for example.

To activate cooling: In the manual settings menu, selec t menu item AC and press to activate cooling.

No mention about anything being temperature dependant.

When I've tested the ECO setting in the past, just to see what difference it made, if the outside temp was higher than what I had set inside i.e. a warm day and I turned on ECO then the air was most definitely not being cooled - so goes against what you're saying.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Jaguar XF 3.0D V6

Trim : Black

Engine : 3.0D V6

Year : 0000

If that's the case, what is the point of ECO?? as it effectively turns off AC there is no difference between OFF and ECO. .

What I described is the usual function of ECO, and I assumed Vec with Climate control would be the same.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

What I described is the usual function of ECO, and I assumed Vec with Climate control would be the same.
    Usual function according to what manufacturer? We're talking about the ECC in the Vectra C / Signum and what all the posts in this thread referring to it are about. If you're referring to how it works in other makes/models than it's kinda irrelevant.
    If that's the case, what is the point of ECO?? as it effectively turns off AC there is no difference between OFF and ECO.
    What do you mean by OFF? On cars with ECC there's no AC OFF button like there is on cars with normal AC. On cars with ECC the Auto button is there in place of the AC ON/OFF button that cars with only AC have. The ECO function in the menu on the ECC screen is the AC OFF function in effect. ECO simply turns off the compressor and so the air that is coming into the cabin is coming straight in from outside without being conditioned or cooled, only heated if the settings/outside temperature dictates that.

Given what you've been saying, I'm assuming you've not had a Vectra C with ECC and so aren't familiar with the specific difference of it to one with AC? - in terms of in a Vectra C i.e. the Auto button being there and the additional control menu that is part of having ECC where you can alter the air flow and whether the AC part is on or off i.e. ECO setting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra Estate

Trim : Elite

Engine : 3.2 V6

Year : 04

Mileage : 000

I too leave my air con on all year round.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I have never had a Vec with climate. That is absolutely true. My wifes car has Climate Control, and has ON, ECO, and OFF functions that operate as I described above (the auto button usually puts AC on, but a simple button press turns it to ECO, or OFF - as desired, but leaves the fan speed and air direction alone). All other type of car I have driven with Climate control have behaved like this too.

I see now that the Vec doesn't work like other makes and calls AC OFF as AC ECO. Thanks for the clarification on Vec C CC operation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Some makes of car may turn the AC compressor right down to min (variable displacement pumps, eg on some modern cars) when the ECO function is activated. Depends on control strategy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

So what's the difference between ECO and OFF on that car then?, as it sounds kinda confusing! lol

If I've got it right, OFF turns the AC off totally with no conditioning or cooling regardless of settings but keeps the fans running as set - just like ECO on the Vec. ECO turns off the cooling and conditioning but will kick in if the ambient temp is higher than the temp set inside? If so then the ECO feature is obviously aimed at non-summer months where the ambient temp will usually always be lower then the set cabin temp so will always be heating, but not conditioning - so why wouldn't you just set it to OFF then? Just seems to be overcomplicating things to have three settings when two would suffice.

Anyway, different manufacturers/designers have their different way of doing things as we see.

EDIT: Just saw you last reply as I posted - my reply was in relation to the post above.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post

Anyway, different manufacturers/designers have their different way of doing things as we see.
    Maybe an accepted standard should be adopted to avoid such confusions??

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I wish they would adopt accepted standards on a number of car related things, not to mention in other walks of life!

What make of car was that BTW? - just curious.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The wife's car is a Mazda 6, it is possible (and easy) to confuse total switch off to down rate to min pump displacment, as the cooling effect may not be readily noticable.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information