Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Amplifier Rating

Hi Guys,

Im thinking of putting my system in my vectra c 2.0 dti, its been sitting around for a while now, its time its ressurected!

I assume a 2.0 dti vectra c has a 120 rated amplifier?????

Ill be running 4 speakers and 2 6b9's off one amp rated 400w RMS, and the other amp running 2 500w rms subwoofers... combined 1400 watt RMS

The question is will the stock alternator be able to run this system??? i also have a power cap..

Any ideas and suggestions welcome! look forward to hearing from you.

p.s. any idea's as to the best ground?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I had a 1100w RMS system in a vauxhall Agila (yes I know, it was a first car). All competition stuff in the boot and parcel shelf, plus the best 4" units I could buy for the four standard locations. I had no power capacitor.

You had to be sensible. The alternator was 60amp, and if you had the headlights on, heated rear window etc and turned it up really loud, the battery light came on to say it wasn't charging. I had no problems, the car never failed to start in the morning, and under normal use (still very loud) seemed to be fine.

As I say though, I was sensible. Always turned the music right down for a couple of mins before i got home to let the battery top up, etc.

The vectra will have a much bigger alternator, I wouldn't think you would have many problems.

In the end it depends what you want to do, if you want to compete in sound-offs or listen to blisteringly loud music all the time, you will need a new battery, (maybe two) an alternator and a regulator. (My Aglia would peak at 132 dB. Thats as loud as a jumbo jet on take off at a 100ft and definately enough to damage your hearing)

Personally I would just try it, if you have charging problems then uprate the alterantor.

(I am currently running two JBL 4channel amps, 80w RMS x 8 = 640w RMS total, no problems)

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : Sri

Engine : 1.9 cdti 150

Year : 2004

Im currently running a dvd hu which is 50wx4 and an inphase 15" sub with juice 1200w d class amp running 1ohm which puts the sound output on something like 2400w. the amp is 1200wrms and the hu i assume is 200wrms so 1400wrms and i have no problems at all. I was running a vibe 12" 1600w sub amp combo (something like 600wrms) and also a 1000wrms amp to power all the door speakers as i had a set of Inphase components in the front and coaxials in the back. I removed the speakers and amp as i wanted to change the audio and i blew the sub from cranking up the volume too much lol. but again no problems at all.

HTH

On a Sabbatical
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

dont look at the rms on most amps as there in a word normal untrue look at there fuses they will tell you would they real run at

12 x fuse will tell you the max it maybe able to push and thats the max it get to

but for a what your going to run the car will run your systum but i would say upgrading your battery would be a good place to start

if you have a look at one if done in my boot you can see the car can run quite a bit

http://www.vectra-c.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14669
    Last edited by chrisgettings; 29th November 2008 at 10:02.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks for the replies lads!

I know what you mean by being sensible mucklestone, but its just so easy to get carried away lol, i suppose id be running the system on near enough full for most of the time, i really love the thrill of the bass going through you, you feel it aswell as hear it !

seems like the vectra stock alternator is pretty good at taking a bashing, i breifly hooked my setup to an Astra 1.6 LS which has a 100 amp alternator, with 2 subs it used to cut out within 30 seconds, with only one sub running it was fine, HOWEVER shortly after the speedometer went!!! neva got fixed... had to sell it off at auction, i dont know if the system caused that.. i have to admit the midrange and vocals were extremely crisp even in the bassiest tracks which gives that extra pleasure to listen to..

Im thinking of upgrading my wire to 0 gauge, i have currently 2 gauge , im even thinking of upgrading my phonos to something of more quality, ahhhh you can get so carried away when thinking of quality !!

wow chrisgettings, you got some heavy set up their, all i assume running on the stock alternator and battery? you have heavily damped the car, i was thinking of the same but it can get expensive and hard work, is it essential? how much of a difference you think it makes? is it really worth the time and effort? i mean you could easily illiminate some major rattles with small fixes without much cost.

On a Sabbatical
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

2 gauge is plenty but a better battery will help

as for your rca if there is nothing wrong dont change them

have a look on ebay for eDead Eliminator its not the best but its a very good price for what you get

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/60-eDead-Elimi...3A1|240%3A1318

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

ok i wont be changing any wiring or RCA, sound deadening seems reasonable for the price so ill get about 60 ft and see how that goes.

I assume i need to get an aptima battery? or could i do with another type since they are expensive.. Cheers

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

[quote=siz1;746061]Thanks for the replies lads!

i suppose id be running the system on near enough full for most of the time,

Wow watch your ears, lol!!!!

I know its a bit late now as your not going to do it but, somewher there is a online calculator that tells you how thick the wire needs to be for different power levels and wire lengths.

I always like the idea of separate, thinner wires for each amp. Big wires such as 0 guage can be very dangerous. And btw if you need 0 guage you probs do need a better battery and alternator!!!!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I found a few calculators, but something usefull i found is http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm, Ive realised that the cable i have is 4 gauge, according to the link Maximum amps for power transmission for a 4 gauge is 60 amps. Seems like ill have to get a 2 or 0 guage wire since my max current draw is 100 amps.

I think its worth me getting the big 3 upgraded. I think i will see how the system sounds, if not ill start with upgrading the battery although i really dont want to!

I just dont want to strain the electrical system too much, ive got a 120 amp stock alternator with a max current draw from my amplifier 100 amps, assuming the rest uses 30 amps.. that is only 10 amps away..

the steering is electronic so i dont want to be in a position where the steering gets too heavy?

On a Sabbatical
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast