Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Sat Nav??

Im looking to buy a sat nav guy's but im not sure what route to go down

The problem is i will only use it a handfull of times per year so is it worth my while buying a decent TOMTOM or do i buy a PDA version/mobile phone version where the TOMTOM maps can be installed easily but i can also surf the web alot better when im out and about. I know how good the TT sat navs are but im wondering if anyone use's the PDA/Mobile phone version and is it as good as the original TT units??

Im possibly leaning towards the PDA/Mobile route at the moment(unless they work guff??) due to the fact i can use it for more than 1 thing BUT i really dont know which one to go for so can anyone help me out here??

What about the N series Nokia's (doubt it will be a N96 as i will be buying the phone as i have my work SIM to stick in it for free surfing, calls etc) so would a middle of the range N series or decent PDA do the SAT NAV job and serve my surfing needs too??

Cheers in advance tech guru's

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Are you on a phone contract already?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra C Hatch

Trim : Exclusive Plus Pack

Engine : 1.9 CDTi Z19DTH

Year : 57

Mileage : 100k+

I have TT6 on a mobile phone/PDA and I have a TT One V3 standalone. The software is different - they have different update cycles and you have to buy new when the map changes big time. The TTV3 does do minor updates via PC connection but it's not major road changes. It is useful to have both, and useful sometimes to have TT on the phone if I am out and about and need it unexpectedly. The standalone is better though I think and for about £100 for Europe its ggod value. Less than that for UK only.

Put it another way, I had it on the phone first and bought the standalone later and find it more convenient. Other people can use it too (ie I wouldn't lend my phone out).

TTV4 is out now and, as evrything, you have to accept that it's outdated the moment you buy it. It will still work but there will be a nicer, newer one along soon.

PS: Even if you have a suitable phone already, the TT software will cost about the same as an independent unit.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    I know how good the TT sat navs are but im wondering if anyone use's the PDA/Mobile phone version and is it as good as the original TT units??

Im possibly leaning towards the PDA/Mobile route at the moment(unless they work guff??) due to the fact i can use it for more than 1 thing BUT i really dont know which one to go for so can anyone help me out here??
    I've always used the Pocket PC version as I've had Pocket PCs for yonks and TomTom came out on that long before the units were around so I've stuck with the PPC version. As I carry the PPC around all the time I didn't want to be carting around a standalone unit so have never contemplated switching to one. I use the PPC for all sorts - contacts, e-mail, web browsing, calendar and other apps - and the fact that I can also do route planning etc. on the TomTom software on the same unit is a great facility too.

TomTom definitely started to develop the stand-alone units more quickly and it peed me off more and more to see that they would get the newer software first and extra features and it looked TomTom were forgetting about their PPC customers who were the ones, if they'd care to remember, that gave them their initial success as that was the only version they did for a while. They redressed the balance a bit with v6 of the PPC software and it had a bunch of the features that the units had had for a while - like TomTom Buddies etc. - although they still seem to be developing the units more quickly in terms of adding features/new software versions. Saying that, I'm very happy with v6 and will do me for a good while - especially as there is the ability to get new maps for it. Rumour has it that there won't be a v7 for the PPC, but it's only that at the moment - rumours.

So, if you are thinking of getting a PPC to have it for all the features it can offer then I'd say definitely go for that and the PPC TomTom software. You'll obviously need a GPS device (would recommend Bluetooth) or a PPC that has one built-in. I think there are still makes around that have the TT software bundled/built-on. HP used to do one, not sure if they do now. I've got an HP210 which is a fantastic PPC if you want a PPC that is powerful with a lot of features - it also has a really nice (large) screen with a res of 640x480!

If you don't think you'll use the PPC that much as a PPC then you'll probably better off getting a stand-alone unit.

HTH

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I use Navigon 6 on my Fujitsu Siemens Pocket Loox N520 PPC.Its great as it has GPS and WiFi built in but is a little old now. I also have TT installed on it too, but cant really get along with the TT 6 software, not sure why but I prefer the navigon/navteq software. Another advantage with the PPC is that its very versatile as there is loads of software for Windows Mobile 5 and a nice big screen.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

My friends and I all have tom toms. saw this the other day, but never used there site bt sounds a good deal'

link

Regular Member silverhairedracer's Avatar
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I am now on my fourth type of sat nav,have been using a TomTom 520 since january of this year and I will state it is the best by far,I use the speed camera data base from Pocket GPS which is up dated weekly,
    I have had no problems with any route it gives me,it now has IQ routing which takes into account local ratruns taken from the info it retrieves when you down load updates etc.
    Not a sales pitch just a satisfied user.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Guys thats fantastic help - thanks alot!

My main problem would be that i would hardly use the satnav so hence i thought about buying a PDA to run the new TT software. My main use for the PDA would be general surfing the net, the odd office stuff and half a dozen times a year using the tomtom. I was a little unsure as to how good the TT functionality was on the PDA set up but after reading your post D you have sold it for me

I will check out the PDA's you guys have mentioned and see what one suits me best - cheers once again

EDIT: Do these PDa's accept sim cards to allow you to use it as a phone and to surf via the mobile signal??
    Last edited by Steven; 25th November 2008 at 18:22.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I was a little unsure as to how good the TT functionality was on the PDA set up but after reading your post D you have sold it for me
    I will check out the PDA's you guys have mentioned and see what one suits me best - cheers once again
    If you need any more info on the HP one (Enterprise 214) then let me know. I can't recommend it highly enough and the price is a bargain IMO for what it offers - it's a very nice bit of kit and the 4.0" screen is fab. When I was looking to replace my previous (Compaq) PPC, nothing came close to this one for what I wanted.
    EDIT: Do these PDa's accept sim cards to allow you to use it as a phone and to surf via the mobile signal??
    That one has Wi-Fi so handy for any free McD's hot spots and Bluetooth, which is how I connect to my phone to use that as a modem. It also has CF and SD cards (very few PDAs have both of those) so should be able to take GPRS type devices but I've never explored those as I've always used Bluetooth to connect to my phones.

They, HP, do a range of smartphone devices called Navigators which have GPS built-in but they seem to get mixed reviews if you look at the link I gave. Not able to put TT software on etc., clunkuy, small screens. I stuck with the PDS as it's a full-blown PPC and not a smartphone.

HTH

D

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thats excellent mate

I am wondering what advantages your device has over the likes of an N series Nokia which also accept's TT maps, with the likes of an N series i could just pop my sim in and get the full package of decent browsing speed, phone and TT??. As it stands i only have a crap work phone so web browsing is pretty poor, if i bought the PDA like you listed i would also need to buy a decent phone for connection purpose's as there are not many (if any) free hotspots around where i staywhich is a pity because i like the functionality aspects of the HP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information