Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Oil Warning Light

hi,

I was driving today when i seen the oil warning light came on the display, it looks like a standard oil sign but in its on top of some waves. I take it the oil has gone low?

The service was done at 77 k, and now theres 83k on the clock , im seprised oil went low so quickly.. Am i right to use 5w 30 for a 2.0 dti vectra c?

is there a way to check how many miles i got left until the next service, i read the manual but it seems a 2.0 dti does not have a trip button?

Thanks in advanced!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

You are that...

You have to take into consideration that the car will burn some oil...but if the oil was topped uo to the maximum it seems to have went through an awful lot tbh...

Best check your oil level every week along with water and tyre condition and pressures...dont just rely on the next service

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks for the reply, ill be keeping a close eye on oil now..

does a 2.0 dti vectra c have a trip button to tell me when the next service is due? i.e. remainder of miles

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Was it this symbol...

If so then that's coolant level not oil level.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

No - I've seen that light too - it's in amber, and sits in the upper right of the panel on my facelift c. As described - an oil can on wiggly lines.

I saw it at 3500 miles (from new) - reason is the use of thinner oil (5W 30). Service guys reckoned it's normal to go through up to a litre per 1k miles on this stuff, and that light comes on when it gets 2/3 down the dipstick (between top/bottom marks). I swapped the oil out for 10W40 - the normal semi-synth Vauxhall stuff - and bought 6L of it (1 to carry and 5 in the garage at home). I have never used another drop between services in 22k - the thicker stuff just doesn't get past the rings and seals.

Okay, it might not do the full 20k interval, but I'm only going about 12-14k before the 'Insp' shows, which is fine by me.
    Last edited by MrT; 25th November 2008 at 00:14.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hi duncan

As MrT said its the oil can on wiggly lines. I bought the car about 6 weeks ago and have no idea what oil was used by the previous owner.. Am i ok to top up without knowing what the previous oil was, or should i get the oil changed with a new filter?

Cheers

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Should be okay adding oil - up to a point. IIRC the Vxl 5w30 is fully synthetic - the manual says it's okay to add a litre of another type between services, including the regular semi-synth that I now use. If it needs more than that then a full change will be needed - top to bottom on the stick is a litre, so to get the warning light you will have used about 2/3rds.

One way to stick to the mixing rules is this: Buy a 1L bottle, top your engine up from it, and keep an eye on things. You'll still use some because the blend is thinner than what you're adding. When you've added the final oil from the bottle it's time to think about a full oil change.

I would have given mine an early full change any way because I'm not happy with running any engine on original oil for 20k miles!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks for the reply

I thought today ive got some time, i might aswell get the oil & filter changed. I went to vx dealers to buy an oil filter, i had my heart set on 5w 30 fully synthetic oil, however they changed my mind!

Basically i thought i might aswell ask their recomendation and they said they put in 10w 40 semi synthetic in all their cars.. i was kind of shocked, so i was like " you serious" , i told them how ive read its 5w 30. without a word the person i was speaking to goes at the back to get a mechanic to tell me lol.. so i thought well it is cheaper and thats what they are recomending so i went for it.

Now comes the part where the mechanic tried to play games with me to buy their oil?? here what happened is by the time he came round to putting the oil in, he tells me the oil i got will cause problems to my engine , i was like y????? how? , he said 10w 40 semi is bad for vectra diesels , i should put it 10w 30 fully synthetic... i thought to myself this guys probably trying to con me, so i went through with it.. but after coming home i feel abit doubtfull..

This is what i got http://www.carlube.co.uk/index.cfm?product=70

10w 40 semi is ok for my 2.0 dti vectra 04 plate???

cheers !
    Last edited by siz1; 25th November 2008 at 20:26.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by siz1 View Post
    Now comes the part where the mechanic tried to play games with me to buy their oil?? here what happened is by the time he came round to putting the oil in, he tells me the oil i got will cause problems to my engine , i was like y????? how? , he said 10w 40 semi is bad for vectra diesels , i should put it 10w 30 fully synthetic... i thought to myself this guys probably trying to con me, so i went through with it.. but after coming home i feel abit doubtfull..

This is what i got http://www.carlube.co.uk/index.cfm?product=70

10w 40 semi is ok for my 2.0 dti vectra 04 plate???

cheers !
    The 30 or 40 bit is the one that matters to reduce oil loss - it's the viscosity (thickness). 10W-30 oil would have run through the system just as fast as 5W-30 (the 'W' bit stands for 'Winter', basically describing how quickly the oil will respond to cold starts; 10W is fine in UK). FWIW, standard GTX was 10W-40, without all that Magnatec stuff they punt nowadays.

Official Vauxhall page is here:
    http://www.vauxhall.co.uk/vaux/pages...dex.jsp#vectra
    Now, sharp-eyed viewers will notice that the 1.9CDTi crops up in the Vivaro van as well - which takes 10W-40 oil...

Basically, if you do average mileage and an annual oil change the thicker stuff will do. If you want to go to 20K intervals then the thinner stuff is best. However, as you've found out, that is used by the engine anyway, and in 20k miles you could have put possibly 17L of oil in the top of the unit to keep up with losses, which would cost more than an oil/filter change twice as often.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks for the reply Mr T, thats definatly got rid of the doubt! now i can drive with peace of mind!

Thread Information