User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Airbag light

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Black Country
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default Airbag light

    My lil sis has just bought her first car, shes got a decent looking Renault Clio 1998 model

    Instead of asking me to look at it before she bought it, she waits till she has it then asks for help, (sisters !!!!!)

    the airbag light is on constantly, coming on about 10 seconds after the car starts

    is this an MOT failure??

  2. #2
    Regular Member brifen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Fareham
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

    Vehicle : Vauxhall Vectra

    Trim : Elite

    Engine : 1.9 CDTI 150

    Year : 2007

    Default

    No not an MOT failure as there is nothing to say that the AIRBAGS must work if fitted. (So I was told by the back street garage because of mine, but wanted to get Airbag reset anyway)

    However!! What it does mean is that while the Airbag light is on then the Airbag system is disabled and will not deploy (intentionally anyway) in the event of an accident. The car will need to be hooked up to a Renault computer and have the Airbag light reset if it has come on because of a fault. Once a fault is detected and on my old Veccy B a fault was created by turning the key on and off too fast too many times trying to start it for a leak off pipe problem but this caused my airbag light to stay on perm. This fault was reset (cost me £30) and all was well. Light cannot be reset by taking off battery etc as fault is written to a ROM (Read Only Memory) which only the computer can erase. When i was looking (google) i also found little hand held devices to reset airbag light for Veccy's so i'm sure there may be something similar for Clio's but due to the cost and hopefully one off use then it was cheaper to go for the Proper Computer Reset (Tech2)?.

    As long as the light is not on due to 'Crash Data' then reset is fine. If Crash Data is present then you should really get a replacement bag. Just not too sure the same proceedures can be done to Renault but i cannot see why not.

    Bri.
    Last edited by brifen; 23rd November 2008 at 14:13.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Black Country
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brifen View Post
    No not an MOT failure as there is nothing to say that the AIRBAGS must work if fitted. (So I was told by the back street garage because of mine, but wanted to get Airbag reset anyway)

    However!! What it does mean is that while the Airbag light is on then the Airbag system is disabled and will not deploy (intentionally anyway) in the event of an accident. The car will need to be hooked up to a Renault computer and have the Airbag light reset if it has come on because of a fault. Once a fault is detected and on my old Veccy B a fault was created by turning the key on and off too fast too many times trying to start it for a leak off pipe problem but this caused my airbag light to stay on perm. This fault was reset (cost me £30) and all was well. Light cannot be reset by taking off battery etc as fault is written to a ROM (Read Only Memory) which only the computer can erase. When i was looking (google) i also found little hand held devices to reset airbag light for Veccy's so i'm sure there may be something similar for Clio's but due to the cost and hopefully one off use then it was cheaper to go for the Proper Computer Reset (Tech2)?.

    As long as the light is not on due to 'Crash Data' then reset is fine. If Crash Data is present then you should really get a replacement bag. Just not too sure the same proceedures can be done to Renault but i cannot see why not.

    Bri.

    WOW

    what a comprehensive reply, many thanx for that mate,

    shes only a student and is skint, i guessed the main dealer would have to be involved, but im glad its not a failure, the girl she bought it off, whose boyfriend is a TOP mechanic (yeah right !!), said it just appeared, like he said the drivers door doesnt open from inside, obviously not when you super glue the handle when youve yanked it right off !

    Ill call her now and let her know, she will be very relieved about this

  4. #4
    Ex Vec-C Admin ed taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Looking Through a Camera Lens.
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

    Vehicle : Vectra Estate

    Trim : Elite

    Engine : 3.2 V6

    Year : 04

    Mileage : 000

    Default

    This sometimes happens when the seat is moved back wards and forwards. It will need resetting though.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Oxfordshire
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

    Vehicle : Vauxhall Astra-J

    Trim : Elite

    Engine : 2.0 CDTi

    Year : 2013

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Guyver1 View Post
    My lil sis has just bought her first car, shes got a decent looking Renault Clio 1998 model

    Instead of asking me to look at it before she bought it, she waits till she has it then asks for help, (sisters !!!!!)

    the airbag light is on constantly, coming on about 10 seconds after the car starts

    is this an MOT failure??
    Being french I suspect it will be the all too common problem of the connectors under the seats for the seat belt pretensioners.

    Usually the plug / socket joint just need pulling apart, spraying some contact cleaner on the connections and reconnecting.

    Shouldn't need a reset by a garage - unlike Vauxhalls. The light should go off if the fault is no longer present.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Black Country
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    Being french I suspect it will be the all too common problem of the connectors under the seats for the seat belt pretensioners.

    Usually the plug / socket joint just need pulling apart, spraying some contact cleaner on the connections and reconnecting.

    Shouldn't need a reset by a garage - unlike Vauxhalls. The light should go off if the fault is no longer present.

    sounds like i have a job to do on the car tomorrow if i finish work early enough then, i need to remove the seat belt aswell cos some muppet has got it twisted so many times that its gonna be easier to take it out then put it right

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Airbag light!
    By joee91 in forum Electrical & ICE (including SatNav)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 25th June 2012, 01:52
  2. Airbag light
    By Sharpy28 in forum Electrical & ICE (including SatNav)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12th June 2012, 22:26
  3. AIRBAG light .. is thier a fuse the the Airbag ecu ?
    By Steven T Davies-Moss in forum Electrical & ICE (including SatNav)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10th September 2011, 13:21
  4. Airbag Light
    By rocket999 in forum Electrical & ICE (including SatNav)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 18th August 2011, 16:22
  5. Airbag Light
    By Hollingsworth87 in forum Vectra C / Signum Troubleshooting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 16th April 2011, 16:29

Visitors found this page by searching for:

vectra c common cause of airbag light

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •