Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Airbag light

My lil sis has just bought her first car, shes got a decent looking Renault Clio 1998 model

Instead of asking me to look at it before she bought it, she waits till she has it then asks for help, (sisters !!!!!)

the airbag light is on constantly, coming on about 10 seconds after the car starts

is this an MOT failure??

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vauxhall Vectra

Trim : Elite

Engine : 1.9 CDTI 150

Year : 2007

No not an MOT failure as there is nothing to say that the AIRBAGS must work if fitted. (So I was told by the back street garage because of mine, but wanted to get Airbag reset anyway)

However!! What it does mean is that while the Airbag light is on then the Airbag system is disabled and will not deploy (intentionally anyway) in the event of an accident. The car will need to be hooked up to a Renault computer and have the Airbag light reset if it has come on because of a fault. Once a fault is detected and on my old Veccy B a fault was created by turning the key on and off too fast too many times trying to start it for a leak off pipe problem but this caused my airbag light to stay on perm. This fault was reset (cost me £30) and all was well. Light cannot be reset by taking off battery etc as fault is written to a ROM (Read Only Memory) which only the computer can erase. When i was looking (google) i also found little hand held devices to reset airbag light for Veccy's so i'm sure there may be something similar for Clio's but due to the cost and hopefully one off use then it was cheaper to go for the Proper Computer Reset (Tech2)?.

As long as the light is not on due to 'Crash Data' then reset is fine. If Crash Data is present then you should really get a replacement bag. Just not too sure the same proceedures can be done to Renault but i cannot see why not.

Bri.
    Last edited by brifen; 23rd November 2008 at 14:13.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by brifen View Post
    No not an MOT failure as there is nothing to say that the AIRBAGS must work if fitted. (So I was told by the back street garage because of mine, but wanted to get Airbag reset anyway)

However!! What it does mean is that while the Airbag light is on then the Airbag system is disabled and will not deploy (intentionally anyway) in the event of an accident. The car will need to be hooked up to a Renault computer and have the Airbag light reset if it has come on because of a fault. Once a fault is detected and on my old Veccy B a fault was created by turning the key on and off too fast too many times trying to start it for a leak off pipe problem but this caused my airbag light to stay on perm. This fault was reset (cost me £30) and all was well. Light cannot be reset by taking off battery etc as fault is written to a ROM (Read Only Memory) which only the computer can erase. When i was looking (google) i also found little hand held devices to reset airbag light for Veccy's so i'm sure there may be something similar for Clio's but due to the cost and hopefully one off use then it was cheaper to go for the Proper Computer Reset (Tech2)?.

As long as the light is not on due to 'Crash Data' then reset is fine. If Crash Data is present then you should really get a replacement bag. Just not too sure the same proceedures can be done to Renault but i cannot see why not.

Bri.

WOW

what a comprehensive reply, many thanx for that mate,

shes only a student and is skint, i guessed the main dealer would have to be involved, but im glad its not a failure, the girl she bought it off, whose boyfriend is a TOP mechanic (yeah right !!), said it just appeared, like he said the drivers door doesnt open from inside, obviously not when you super glue the handle when youve yanked it right off !

Ill call her now and let her know, she will be very relieved about this

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra Estate

Engine : 3.2 V6

Year : 04

Mileage : 000

This sometimes happens when the seat is moved back wards and forwards. It will need resetting though.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vauxhall Astra-J

Engine : 2.0 CDTi

Year : 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Guyver1 View Post
    My lil sis has just bought her first car, shes got a decent looking Renault Clio 1998 model

Instead of asking me to look at it before she bought it, she waits till she has it then asks for help, (sisters !!!!!)

the airbag light is on constantly, coming on about 10 seconds after the car starts

is this an MOT failure??
    Being french I suspect it will be the all too common problem of the connectors under the seats for the seat belt pretensioners.

Usually the plug / socket joint just need pulling apart, spraying some contact cleaner on the connections and reconnecting.

Shouldn't need a reset by a garage - unlike Vauxhalls. The light should go off if the fault is no longer present.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    Being french I suspect it will be the all too common problem of the connectors under the seats for the seat belt pretensioners.

Usually the plug / socket joint just need pulling apart, spraying some contact cleaner on the connections and reconnecting.

Shouldn't need a reset by a garage - unlike Vauxhalls. The light should go off if the fault is no longer present.

sounds like i have a job to do on the car tomorrow if i finish work early enough then, i need to remove the seat belt aswell cos some muppet has got it twisted so many times that its gonna be easier to take it out then put it right

Thread Information