Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Vauxhall 3.0cdti elite/sri ride quality

I have been looking to replace my ageing Vectra and was looking at 530d BMW's, but alas, it seems they may be out of my price range, unless I get a high mileage car. I have had to replace the clutch, (at horrendous cost I thought), but other than that apart from a little warranty work early on it's been relatively fault free. It's had a tuning box fitted for nigh on 80,000 miles running at nearly 220bhp and 365lb ft whilst returning approx 42mpg over that period so performance hasn't really been an issue either. No matter how much my heart tells me I want a BMW my head keeps telling me otherwise
    You really can get a lot of Vectra/Signum for very little money it seems, I have been looking at late model/nearly new Vectra SRI estate's with ex pack, ie: boot spoiler, 19" alloys etc, Elite's and Signum Elite's. Bearing in mind my car is an '05 model before the facelift versions with 'improved' steering and ride does anyone know how they compare in this respect? My SRI really is quite hard over bumps but on smooth roads is faultless I find. Also does anyone have any experience with both engine types, 177 v 184 bhp in standard tune?, again how do they compare? Lastly I may consider an auto so would welcome any feedback on any longterm reliability issues with these.......

All info'/opinions much appreciated.

As a footnote I have been offered as little as £2700 for mine in px against various with approx 80k miles in perfect condition!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I've got a a 54plate 3.0 signum elite and I must say a slightly firmer ride would be nice, it does wallow a little round corners but I think this can be sorted with a decent set of springs as a lot of members have done on here.. toy level is nice though, but better on 04 and 53 cars. I'd love an 530d sport though

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

repeat what brucey has said on this one really...

i have a 55 plate elite vectra with Eibach springs, but still would like to do shocks and possibly strut brace to stiffen it up round twisties.
    They're fine for daily driving but when you get to wanting a bit of fun down some lanes it's a little difficult.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The 3.0 Diesels don't like the tuning box. Been known to hammer the clutch "Slipping a lot" Be careful of the turbo as the are quite brittle, Tuning wise.

As for the ride I'd recommend a set of Eibach to stiffen the ride up. And as Phatty said a strut brace will help also.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

If you think a Vectra is expensive to run, then you don't want a 530d. I've found any BMW I've been in is pretty choppy, especially the sport suspension. Uncomfortable, in fact.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

speaking personally, BMWs don't do it for me. if i take it as a piece of machinery, then some are ok, it's just out on the road, i see them as a total wnaker car, driven by 'me first, screw you' types. it makes no sense to base car buying choice on the type of person who typically drives one i know, but it's enough to put me right off them.
    if you want a different but tough quality car - how about a 2.5 v6 tdi Audi A6?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I've got the Signum Elite and to be perfectly honest as the others say the ride is a bit 'wallowy' but hey it don't bother me in the slightest. The Elite after all is NOT a sports car, if i'd wanted one of them i'd have bought one. The Elite's a comfort car with some nice gadgetry to boot. As others have said, you could spend money and put the Eibach springs on but i for one will be leaving mine well alone...(well for the time being anyway). Yep it's a totally different ride to my old Vectra SRi but i'd looked into that before i bought my Siggie so i knew exactly what to expect. Get one mate and enjoy that's all i can say to you!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by shan View Post
    The 3.0 Diesels don't like the tuning box. Been known to hammer the clutch "Slipping a lot" Be careful of the turbo as the are quite brittle, Tuning wise.

As for the ride I'd recommend a set of Eibach to stiffen the ride up. And as Phatty said a strut brace will help also.
    The clutch on mine never slipped, not read many reports of brittle turbos on them either
    Now I need a turbo to keep up!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Ta chaps, I have been looking further into the spec' levels of the newer SRI's and it is pretty sparse, the ommision of the central rear vents for a start off will seriously annoy the dogs who regularly sit in the boot, does like nice with the ex pack fitted though. Seems like I may well have to go down the Elite route then, have been looking at a well specced Vectra Estate with AFL etc, just awaiting a call on px value which, no doubt, will be minimal. Without wanting to annoy too many, as far as i'm concerned the SRI, (i've only driven the V6 diesel mind), handles like a barge..plenty of grip but too much bulk, it's fine as a cruiser but handle it doesn't. If the Elite's are 'wallowy' then that'll probably suit me as I give up trying to convince myself the SRI deserves its badge long ago!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

[quote=mark_w;731401]speaking personally, BMWs don't do it for me. if i take it as a piece of machinery, then some are ok, it's just out on the road, i see them as a total wnaker car, driven by 'me first, screw you' types.

Ahem,

Being an owner driver of a 5 Series MSport and a former VX owner- I have to disagree with that comment. Freedom of thought and speech fair enough - but that is a sweeping statement to make and a generalisation. Talking specifically about BMW's - In my experience the majority of owners are like minded enthusiasts who enjoy their cars just the same as VX owners. Their are idiots in any walk of life and any car - not just BMW drivers.......

Just my two pence worth - I am sure that it won't change your mind though.

Best Regards, Matt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information