User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Mad moment alert! Fitting twin exhausts - what's the deal?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Question Fitting twin exhausts - what's the deal?

Now then!

Okay, so I've a 1.9CDTi 150 Exclusiv, but one of the things I'd like to try (as well as the Eibach/B6 combo in the suspension dept) is to fit twin exhausts. AKAIK this isn't standard, but I have seen the Irmy dual twin-rectangle kit on the Vxl site for this engine (saw it on a V6d Signum, butthe pipes were a bit out of alignment with the valance cut-outs), and noticed a couple of folk hereabouts with the mod done using dual oval setups and the like with it as well.

How much of the original system is replaced for a job like this? The Irmy kit is pricey enough to suggest that it's a thorough job (cat backwards, or possibly even more), notwithstanding the need to swap the lower valance on the rear bumper for something with cut-outs rather than hiding the pipes like the 2.8V6 Elite. I figure if a subtle pair of chromed pipes could be fitted with perhaps a swap out for the rear skirts from a 2.2 or 2.0t petrol then at least it wouldn't be hidden on anything except cold days.

Mind you, hidden pipes might be nice if they gave a nice burble (okay, it's a diesel - the 'listener' would have to restrain from walking forward past the back doors otherwise engine clatter would spoil things!). Plus this shouldn't need body mods. I do like the 'Q-car' idea - no-one knows, but it's different enough to be special.

What sort of choice for both the hidden and visible end-pipes are out there? More for visible, for sure, but if there's something more musical in the hidden category I'd definitely be interested.
    Last edited by MrT; 13th November 2008 at 01:59.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Simplest (and cheapest) way is to get the Irmscher y-piece and then you can add another back box like your existing one or stick on a pair of Irmscher ones, or any other aftermarket set of back boxes. Obviously you'd need to get the different bumper skirt to match.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The Y-piece - can't see any pics on t'interweb... That'll replace the section from rear box to the joint level with rear footwells (or thereabouts), will it? Then it'll just be clips, rubber mounts and the second back-box, although twinning the one I've already got might not be best for a fuller sound (I'm not after the drilled effect - there's a mum near me with a Celica that sounds so razzy that it's more like a 'peg/card in bike spokes' from way back). If they're hidden IMO they need to sound nicer!

Been scouting about - I've seen this guy's custom cat-back job - http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c385/AAitken/MVOC/ - which is too bling for me, plus the one that gogs37 has done with the estate, but without modding the rear skirt.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I did my car 2 1/2 years ago, I'll post up the conversion pics if you want?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

That'd be great, Maverick. I've been reading the threads for systems using standard parts - I like the look of the VXR system, including the rear boxes but not the rear pipes.

Then there's the custom route, full-duplex in stainless steel, which may mean trickier servicing whenever they need replacing, but gets a nicer job. I've the issue of hidden or visible tailpipes - if I can get a nice sound (mellow, rounded - not farty) then hidden would mean less body mods - otherwise I'll need to swap the rear skirt for one like the 2.2 uses.

There's the one Whippy found that doesn't use a centre box, apparently from a police cruiser, but plenty of others where that box is included, and they all seem slightly different in shape! FWIW I've had a few knocks underfloor from the centre box (not often - just like the rubber mounts had shifted a bit over bumps) - removing it would solve that problem.

Plus I've heard that the Irmscher Y-Piece has dissimilar diameter tubes - I'd rather have them balanced!
    Last edited by MrT; 22nd November 2008 at 23:34.

Thread Information