Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Tyres & Tracking.

Hi all, would like to add my "threepenneth" worth to the debate. Will start by introducing myself as a knowledgeable amateur with well over 30 years experience of both Cars & Motorbike suspensions/steerings. My current car is a 2005 150CDTi Sxi estate, with SRi sports suspension. I acquired the Car at 5k. OEM tyres were Bridgestone Turanza ER300. They were HR rated which I considered under-rated for the speed capability of the vehicle but they were Vauxhall specific & Bridgestone said they were ok. Original fronts lasted until almost 25k, very impressed with the overall comfort/grip/mileage. I was so impressed that I ordered 2 more of the same for the front. At 47k the rears were nearing the end of their life & noticed an ever so little extra wear on the inside tread of the N/S rear. I then made the most foolish mistake of asking the local Vx stealer to check the rear camber/toe. Why, oh why, oh why did I do this. I'd had issues with this dealership in the past but expected them to know about 4 wheel alignment. What a stupid mistake on my part. Should have looked up a Hunter alignment place locally. £140 quid poorer now, I make the second mistake of trying Goodyear Eagle F1's. I know a lot of peeps on hear rate them but mine were made in China & were cheap. I know Goodyear say that they are ok but I'm not convinced. I did go for a set of 205/55-16 to replace the 215/55-16 Bridgestones. 10k miles later at 58k ish I've worn them out & gone back to OEM Bridgestones again (215/55-16). I did find the F1's were wearing on the inside rears so took the Car back to the Stealers & demanded they put the alignment back to the original as they had "******ed" it up. They put their "workshop foreman" on the job as they agreed it was out. Even after this resetting the tyres still wore out very quickly & started the howling that seems to come from too much negative camber. New Bridgestones have eliminated the howling. My conclusions regarding wheel alignment is that Vectras run about 1 deg of Neg Camber on the rear with a touch of toe-in, Sports rears can run as much as 2 deg of Neg Camber with even more toe-in to counteract premature wear. Fronts are the same on bothe Std & Sports, a small amount of Neg Camber. Front toe is 1.2mm N to 1.2mm P. I.E. parallel. Please remember that all wheels should run parallel at Dynamic operating conditions. We set them static according to FWD or RWD. I'm quite prepared for flak over these comments especially the Goodyears but am prepared to argue my corner. Thanks for reading this far.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

i had mitchelin sports 2 on the rear of my vectra had the same thing worn out very quick ,had the tracking done and fitted some continentals sports contact 3 which to be fair grip well and seem to wear well up to now .A lot better than the mitchelins and a fair bit cheaper.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Just to add a quick note. I believe that the HR rated OEM Bridgestones are a harder compound than any VR rated tyre & that might favour wear rates on Vectra rears. I need to do some more investigation on Camber & front toe-in. These are parameters that I can measure myself. I cannot do rear alignment to Chassis centre line to do a full 4-wheel alignment.

Thread Information