Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Spark plug question

Ok guys, this isnt car related but bike related

If you have a duff plug, would this allow unburnt petrol through into the exhaust?

reason for the question is, my bike went from doing 120 miles to a tank down to 80/90 miles

Main dealer charged me £200 and said the valves needed reseating and we want £700, i did the work myself and saved £500 so was very happy,

untill today !!!

still 90 to the tank

i also still get wet brown muck through the exhaust which stinks of petrol, the valves are spot on, so the only thing i can think, is that 1 or more plugs isnt working as it should and the fuel is being ejected through the exhaust, and the engine is working the other plugs harder to keep up

am i on the right lines here, or just wishful thinking

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia

Trim : Sri

Engine : 140 Ecoflex S/S

Year : 2013

Some basics first - assuming it's got 4 cylinders

1) Does the engine sound as if it's running on all 4 pots or lumpy on just 3 pots?

2) Is the fuel system carbs of injection? If it's carbs then one of the carb floats may be stuck (as per my GTR1000 which caused neat fuel in the air box).

3) If you can get to the plugs easily with the engine running (tank may have to come off), pull the plug leads off one at a time to see which cylinder is at fault. BE CAREFUL AS YOU MAY GET A VERY NASTY JOLT IF THE SPARK ARCS TO YOUR BODY - TAKE PRECAUTIONS !!!!

4) Don't know what type of sparking system you've got (old fashioned coils on mine) but it could be a coil problem, HT lead problem or yes, duff plug. Try changing the plugs around to see if the problem moves to a different cylinder.

5) Take all the plugs out and see which one is wet with fuel. This will be your problem one

Other than that, you're on the right lines
    Last edited by gtr1000; 9th November 2008 at 15:25. Reason: spelling

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by gtr1000 View Post
    Some basics first - assuming it's got 4 cylinders

1) Does the engine sound as if it's running on all 4 pots or lumpy on just 3 pots?

2) Is the fuel system carbs of injection? If it's carbs then one of the carb floats may be stuck (as per my GTR1000 which caused neat fuel in the air box).

3) If you can get to the plugs easily with the engine running (tank may have to come off), pull the plug leads off one at a time to see which cylinder is at fault. BE CAREFUL AS YOU MAY GET A VERY NASTY JOLT IF THE SPARK ARCS TO YOUR BODY - TAKE PRECAUTIONS !!!!

4) Don't know what type of sparking system you've got (old fashioned coils on mine) but it could be a coil problem, HT lead problem or yes, duff plug. Try changing the plugs around to see if the problem moves to a different cylinder.

5) Take all the plugs out and see which one is wet with fuel. This will be your problem one

Other than that, you're on the right lines

1. Sounds fine, but i wear earplugs so i cant say if ive noticed any differance in the running noises

2. Its Injected

3. Engine will only run with the tank fitted, unless i buy the special plug and play kit from the dealers (not bleedin likely)

4. Its got individual coils that push onto the plugs, and the plugs are a nightmare to get out, they sink in the engine about 8"

Originally it ran like a dream, but then overnight it started to drink the fuel, its 100% coming out of the exhaust as the fumes are brown and wet, No oil loss or coolant loss

Ive got a feeling that the K&N got too oily and shed the excess oil through the airbox into throttle bodies, which could have fouled the plugs up, there all mucky looking to be honest, but the dealer said they should be fine. Also the stepper motor which controls the auto choke was black and greasy, the link pipe to that comes from the airbox, so once again i think too much oil on the K&N might have a lot to do with that,

ill get new plugs regardless, but as for testing it, i dont want to try riding till the fuel light comes back on to see the mileage im getting, cant see a way to test each plug or coil either

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia

Trim : Sri

Engine : 140 Ecoflex S/S

Year : 2013

Sorry to hear about this problem but like all things "electronic" and "injected", I'm now at a loss as to how to help.

Life was soooooo much easier in the old days (like my 1990 GTR1000) .

ps. was going to chop mine in last year for a late plate FJR1300 but when I was offered £500 px for mine, the FJR didn't justify the xtra £5500. My GTR does 95% of what the FJR does, the other 5% I just ain't worried about

pps. The GTR got me back from Luxembourg a few years back in 5.5hours, including the tunnel crosssing - I'm still happy (it don't weave like a Pan )

Oh, what bike is yours? Sorry, can't tell from avatar.

And current mileage??
    Last edited by gtr1000; 9th November 2008 at 17:31. Reason: added question

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats