Thread: Pink to red!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Pink to red!!

Gave the car good clean and got rid of all the polish and stuff the garage that i bought the vectra from had applied at the weekend and found its faded a bit. then looking harder the passenger door has been painted or replaced as its brighter than the rest :S was gonna buy buffer and some restore polish and attack the rest of car to try and get its redness back.
    On pricing up machine and pads and polish etc i kinda changed my mind lol.
    wife banned card use till after chrimbo and have a 7 week old baby too so not best thing to be spending on lol..
    Then i had a idea, my m8 works in a local bodyshop so i drove past on way home and asked if they manage to wack there buff over if to see how it come out..
    should help a bit????
    being a bodyshop will they have paint restore polish? or shall i buy somethin and ask him to use it with the buffer??
    Gettin done for £20 so didnt wanna hassle him askin about what polish they got etc :S
    Any recommendations welcome

long post i know sorry

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : Sri

Engine : 1.9 cdti 150

Year : 2004

Something thats a cutter. I would just take it to them and let them deal with the polish. being a professional business they will have everything needed

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

the garages all seem to use the 3m stuff..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Dwabo View Post
    the garages all seem to use the 3m stuff..
    3M stuff any good?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I'm not sure about the use of a bodyshop, there are some good body shops and some very bad. A lot of bodyshops will just put some Farecla G3 on a wool pad and stick it on full speed and move it over the panel. yes it will remove a layer of paint and restore the colour but it will be covered in buffer trails and swirl marks. I guess it all depends on what you want your car to look like and for £20, yeah.

3m products are pretty expensive compared to the alternatives and not all bodyshop safe so not a lot will use them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Little John View Post
    I'm not sure about the use of a bodyshop, there are some good body shops and some very bad. A lot of bodyshops will just put some Farecla G3 on a wool pad and stick it on full speed and move it over the panel. yes it will remove a layer of paint and restore the colour but it will be covered in buffer trails and swirl marks. I guess it all depends on what you want your car to look like and for £20, yeah.

3m products are pretty expensive compared to the alternatives and not all bodyshop safe so not a lot will use them.
    Had no previous bad work from bodyshop before..
    Exstensive body mods on my old car and rebuilt front end after van rolled into front while was parked so his work is top notch.

Old heavilly modded Corsa.. (my younger days hehe)

I was just wondering on the restoring paint sideof things thats all as ive never had bodyshop do anythin like this.

thanks for the help..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I was just making you aware how most places work, polishes need to be worked to break the abrasives down, when I did the red astra I wanted a perfect finish, no swirls the parts with original paint I achieved that but the ones that had fresh paint (back door) I didnt touch and the side that had a layer of clear coat the swirls were under the clear coat.

The polishes I used on a dual action polisher which takes a little longer to break them down gave me about 4-5 minutes per 1 foot square section a rotary your probably looking at about 2-3 minutes I seriously doubt for £20 you will get so much time spent on your car. Wool pads are very aggressive also and if they use them they will need to go over again with a soft foam pad to remove the marks left by the wool pad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Little John View Post
    I was just making you aware how most places work, polishes need to be worked to break the abrasives down, when I did the red astra I wanted a perfect finish, no swirls the parts with original paint I achieved that but the ones that had fresh paint (back door) I didnt touch and the side that had a layer of clear coat the swirls were under the clear coat.

The polishes I used on a dual action polisher which takes a little longer to break them down gave me about 4-5 minutes per 1 foot square section a rotary your probably looking at about 2-3 minutes I seriously doubt for £20 you will get so much time spent on your car. Wool pads are very aggressive also and if they use them they will need to go over again with a soft foam pad to remove the marks left by the wool pad.
    Thanks for the indepth reply
    He is a M8 so that is cheap price for me.
    He has half days saturday so doing after he finish the bodyshop jobs for the day.
    Time will tell how it comes out. if it half as good as yours looks then i ll be happy for now. Megs polisher set on my Xmas list so give me somethin to do hehe..

Thread Information