User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: New Head Unit - Sony bt3600BTU, what do i need?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default New Head Unit - Sony bt3600BTU, what do i need?

Hello,

I've decided to get a new head unit for my 04 Vectra 1.9 cdti SXI. Can't remember the excact model of my head unit but I think its a 2005 something.... It does not play MP3 just CD's which is why I want to change it.

I've found the Sony BT3600 for £116 at Halfords and from what I've read it looks like a good unit and it even has BT which is an added bonus.

I've read on this forum that it's not a simple swap. I would need a facia adapter and maybe some converters for the cables. The product comes with free fitting from Halfords which I would be tempted to go for. However, I am worried they might charge me a lot more for the parts and that it might be better for me to buy the parts somewhere else and do it myself.

What parts would I need to change the head unit? Thanks in advance. This is the unit I am looking to buy...

https://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...ayer&width=800

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Got the same one, u need a facia adapter about £20 from halfords or cheaper on ebay. I didnt need any extra cables, although u do need to, to get the steering controls working

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Neighbor has a BT head unit, dont know the make, and the fact halfords wired it to be permanently live (always on) as the could not find a ignition wire so watch them wire it up incorrectly for a start , so his bluetooth (unless he turns the unit off) is constanly searching for his phone , and over the last few months i have been approached to loan him my jump leads and my car

On the other hand i found the below thread usefull and i think the man himself will also supply adapters, facia.... and there is even an ipod there

http://forum.vectra-c.com/showthread.php?t=61258

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks for your quick answers guys.

I bought the unit from Halfords today and the shop assistant insisted I also needed cables and an antenna converter plug. I told him I only needed the facia adapter and nothing else. I had to "fight" to be able to NOT buy the extra items...stubborn git

As opposed to some other posters I had no real problems getting the vauxhall unit out.

There was no need for any extra cables at all. Apart from the facia adapter it was a straight swap. The antenna converter plug was actually included in the Sony box! I don't need the steering wheel controls so I won't bother with that just now.

I also had to swap the red/yellow leads on the Sony cables (this was clearly indicated in the manual that some cars use a different power cabling). The adapter is not a 100% snug fit but not a huge deal, it's also black instead of gunmetal but it still looks ok.

It's a great stereo too. Bluetooth calling for my phone, mp3 playback via USB port on front or CD and also aux in.. Great piece of kit for £116! (+14 for the facia adapter).

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by spennny View Post
    Neighbor has a BT head unit, dont know the make, and the fact halfords wired it to be permanently live (always on) as the could not find a ignition wire so watch them wire it up incorrectly for a start , so his bluetooth (unless he turns the unit off) is constanly searching for his phone , and over the last few months i have been approached to loan him my jump leads and my car

On the other hand i found the below thread usefull and i think the man himself will also supply adapters, facia.... and there is even an ipod there

http://forum.vectra-c.com/showthread.php?t=61258

Same happened to my car with Halfords, tell him to take it back, they will sort out free of charge.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Yeah I've got this unit as well and pretty impressed with it. BT works well and the USB port on the front is dead handy - hardly use CDs at all now!

I've got 2004/54 and I would like to enable the steering controls if its not too expensive - but no one seems to be able to tell me what my car needs!

Its got the 6 buttons on the wheel and the standard ISO connector so in theory should be straight forward, but as my car is badged as both an LS and a Life model it seems to be a model/year crossoever edition!

Thread Information