0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Few questions...

...so I apologise if I've repeated anything previously discussed. I don't often venture in here (anyone who's seen my car will vouch for that)!

1. I bought one of those Karcher soap dispenser thingies (foam lance?) and when I used it all the shampoo came out in about 10 seconds. Car was lovely and snowy, but I had only done on side of it! Did I do something wrong? Also, what is the best stuff to use in it? I seem to remember people mentioning snow foam, but I dunno if that's a make or a generic term, like hoover/vacuum cleaner?

2. I was in the shop that begins with H yesterday and they had some Meguiars Gold Class wax and applicator pad for £12.99 or the same with a bottle of shampoo for £14.99. This seemed a good deal as you got the shampoo for £2. Was it a good deal? Cheaper elsewhere?

3. Is there really such a thing as spray on hose off wheel cleaner? If so, which is best? Also, if not (as I suspect), can anyone recommend a good wheel brush? (Andy: you seemed quite taken with the one that detailing guy had. Did you buy one?)

4. I have a mystery stain on my driver's seat, so I also need a good upholstery cleaner. Recommendations? (I can post a pic of this if it helps)

5. What's the best way of cleaning in small, fiddly nooks and crannies, such as around SRi type foglights for example? Brush, cloth?

6. I've been using Autoglym Fast Glass for a few years now and have decided it doesn't really live up to it's name. Takes a fair bit of elbow grease to really clean up the windies. Any thing better out there? I don't want a polish, coz I do the door mirrors with it and I believe they're plastic?

That'll do for now. Anyone who's reached this point without losing the will to live, I congratulate you. I may have more questions later, but for now get telling me what to do!

Cheers!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Simonali,
    I'll try and help, Bryan will be along shortley with some more detailed guidance.
    1. Try diluting the shampoo or use some snow foam http://www.autobritedirect.co.uk/pro...6eebf5a1f45936
    2. To get along the expensive path of detailing, this combo is good value. The Gold class is a cleaner/wax so it tries to do both jobs. If you only want to spent the minimum time cleaning your car this will help. The price is fine.
    3. A lot of spray on/hose off wheel cleaner are strong acids and the general views are they aren't very good and can (in some cases) damage alloys. They haven't worked for me in the past so I don't use them. I find the best way is to simply take your wheels off and spend a couple of hours with elbow grease and mild cleaner and scrub them until perfect. That way you only need to give them a clean with normal car shampoo every week or two and they will keep clean. There's not many short cuts with wheels I'm afraid.
    4. Stains on the seat, won't ask. Use Ecover or woolite diluted down, warm water and a scrubbing brush. If it doesn't work, seek out a detailer in your area www.detailingworld.com
    5. Small paint brush, tape the bristles at the bottom so only the top 25mm is showing and a small microfibre cloth.
    6. Don't worry AG Glass polish is good and is safe on plastics as well. Good value. I use it and like it.

Another tip Ag SRP (Super resin polish) is great on bike frames. Yes, I'm sad I do detail my bikes as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pretty much as Scottex says. For a real insight www.detailingworld.com is a mass of information. Can be hard on the wallet though as I am starting to discover. For those fiddly places I would recommend a Meguiars slide lock brush http://www.cleanandshiny.co.uk/Produ...ProductID=9108 as this enables you to alter the length and stiffness of the bristles to suit your needs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SCOTTEX
    Another tip Ag SRP (Super resin polish) is great on bike frames. Yes, I'm sad I do detail my bikes as well.
    I've got a carbon frame. Not sure whether polishing it would be a good idea? Only gets taken out when it's sunny, anyway i.e. hardly ever!

http://www.vectra-c.com/forum/showpo...5&postcount=32

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow Simonali, great bike, looks gorgeous. How does it ride compared to a steel frame ? I'd get stuck into cleaning that with all my samples.
    Lovely bike, drooling, very lucky person.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At a smidge over 7kg (17lb?), it almost rides itself! Have to admit, it's been a long time since I've ridden a steel road bike (my last one was a very whippy 531PRO), but it's a good compromise comfort wise. Stiff as alu, supple as steel. They build in the comfort, so the frame tubes flex slightly up and down, but are rock solid side to side. They had a cutaway tube in the shop and you could squash it oval in one direction, but not even 1mm if you turned it 90°. Clever stuff!

Thread Information