User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Portfolio - anyone else have to do this?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Angry Portfolio - anyone else have to do this?

Fuming now, I've spent what seems like months putting together a professional portfolio. It hasn't been months, it's only been hours really, but it's been spread over the last few months because I felt so strongly about the futility of it.

Let me expand on that a little...

I'm a paramedic. Now EVERYONE knows what paramedics do. I drive a builder's van or ropey old car with blue lights on, I pick up incontinent old ladies and vomit-covered teenagers, and take them to hospital where I drink the world's worst machine coffee. Right?

But the governing body for paramedics (who FFS should know better than anyone what I do for a living) insist that I produce a portfolio of evidence to prove that I do what I do.

Now, if they want to see what jobs I've attended over the last year, they can just print it off from the control room database. So just by hitting Ctrl-P they can see, at a glance, my activation times, response times, any drugs given, skills used, etc, etc, etc, whatever they wanted to see.

Instead, I've been made to produce a pointless paper trail of policies, procedures, reflective essays and case studies. Most of this guff I have simply downloaded from the Trust intranet and printed out, exactly like everyone else has done. So what does this prove? That I'm capable of paramedic-level printing?

Anyone else forced to do pointless paper exercises like this, for absolutely no gain?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Submitted this over on PH too - suggestions include removing all the medical stuff, and just giving a blow-by-blow account of how I created the portfolio, or including REALLY medical stuff like used bandages or some dried sick

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra Estate

Trim : Elite

Engine : 3.2 V6

Year : 04

Mileage : 000

Sounds like job creating on someone else,s part. Someone higher up the ladder is just thinking of ways of justifying their own job.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Typical of Public bodies. The Police are just the same. Reams of pointless paperwork, when you could say the same thing in a few sentences.

This post from the 'Inspector Gadget' Blog says it all:

When the Chief Inspector in charge of Coming Up With Stupid Ideas called to see me, he was obviously confused. He wants me to write a paper on the lack of qualified Sergeants in Ruralshire Constabulary.
    “Gadget, I want you to write a paper on the lack of qualified Sergeants in Ruralshire Constabulary, and submit it to me by December” he said.
    “Sorry Chief, you must be confused. I’m Inspector Gadget, Police Inspector Gadget. I’m a policeman. I think you must have me mistaken for one of those people from the “Writing Endless Reports That Nobody Reads Department” at Constabulary Headquarters…. perhaps I could get you their phone number?”
    [I]“Well Gadget, that’s all very funny but on a serious note, you will have to speak to personnel, duty planners, the Training Department……………. scope it all for me…………… initial proposal………….. training plan…………….”
    It was funny but after a while I couldn’t hear him any more. His lips were moving but all I could hear was Dusty telling me that I don’t have to say I love her just because she’s there.
    Suddenly he was thanking me and the next person was being ushered in.
    I have such a short attention span.
    The is only one solution. I have to go and visit the “Old Sweat On The Second Floor”.
    He advised me to speak to a Sergeant in A Division who has produced a paper with the same title, which no one has read. It’s not copying, says The Old Sweat, it’s called “Sharing Best Practice”.
    I managed to get hold of the 24 page document.
    The conclusions are startling: There is a lack of qualified Sergeants in Ruralshire Constabulary.
    I eventually arrived home and sat with my eyes closed for a while. Dusty was there again. I watched an old recording of the South Bank Show about her the other day and now she won’t go away. I need some sleep. I need some proper policing. Roll on Saturday night!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

its a shame you cant find the time to film your day and submit that instead. because im sure they wouldnt believe you went out saving lives, do people really do that now days

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Jaguar XF 3.0D V6

Trim : Black

Engine : 3.0D V6

Year : 0000

Well at least we (the tax payer) are getting value for money - just look at the evidence that you are producing to prove it.. Or was that too sarcastic or ironic?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Ste View Post
    Well at least we (the tax payer) are getting value for money - just look at the evidence that you are producing to prove it.. Or was that too sarcastic or ironic?

See your point tho!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I have to do "Meet your Manager" sessions where they call you in and ask you how you feel, the first few times, I told them what was going wrong and where it could all be improved and what would make the staff happier and more motivated but after 6 years, you realise they just stamp it and file it as soon as you've left out the room.
    I now give a standard reply of "I love my job but respectfully decline to part take in this exercise"

If I was you Paul, I would make up two portfolios, the one they want and one for something completey different like a Flower Pressing evening class and submit it pretending you got mixed up. Whats the chances no one ever reads it and therefore notices you gave the wrong one in?

The local dealers if driving my old Vectra
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I liv e by process in my job and that Paul sounds like process for the sake of process.

Why not do exactly what you sdaid... cntl P it put a title and you name on... job done.

Terran

Thread Information