Thread: Declaring Mods.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Declaring Mods.

Just a quick heads up on something I've just remembered following the accident last week.

The first two questions asked by the insurance company when I phoned them were, had the car been modified in any way and not declared to them? and were there any endorsements on my licence which I had not informed them of?

Everything was declared on my car which wasn't much but the thing that got me thinking was that the other guy took a picture at the roadside which may have come back to haunt me if that was not the case.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Signum

Trim : Elite

Engine : 3.2 V6

Year : 05

i did with my old silver veccy and when i had my little "bump" they paid out £12k for a car with a trade value of around £8k

Simply because all the mods were declared and i had plenty of pics at shows etc to back up my case about how good it looked pre-accident

Having said that, i haven't told them about ALL the mods on this one yet, only a few as i didn't intend to do much but got carried away

...........and i ain't finished just yet ..................

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Yes today seems to have been "Mod Sunday" . Just don't want anyone to be caught out.

Ex Vec-C Admin / Founder Duncan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Stevel View Post
    The first two questions asked by the insurance company when I phoned them were, had the car been modified in any way and not declared to them? and were there any endorsements on my licence which I had not informed them of?
    Blimey, they were just looking for any reason not to pay out on a claim! - even though you wouldn't have been claiming off them anyway! lol

Which insurer was that BTW?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
    Blimey, they were just looking for any reason not to pay out on a claim! - even though you wouldn't have been claiming off them anyway! lol

Which insurer was that BTW?
    This was before they knew what had happened. He was reading from a Script. Company is Zurich who appear to have based the nerve centre of their operations in India.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Oh, good 'ol Zurich - used to be Eagle Star. Very good insurance company when I was with them. I ditched them for two reasons - 1) they moved their call centre to India, or wherever, and trying to explain something that you wanted to change/had changed on the car was impossible - they just didn't understand what you were trying to explain and 2) they seemed, then at least, that they simply didn't want to cover cars that had been modded. When I had the suspension done they 'allowed' it as an existing customer as a goodwill gesture - gee, that was big of them! lol When I then enquired about something else they said they wouldn't cover it! - and that was with no claims with them!

So I changed to DL and it was a relief to be able to talk to a UK call centre who understood what I meant when I was asking about/explaining things. They've also been pretty cool with the mods so far.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Yep, trying to get them to understand that the A350 is a road and not in fact the type of car that hit me was the first challenge.

I gave up on trying to explain that Wiltshire is a county so moved Warminster to Dorset as that did at least appear on their drop down menu.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

lol, yep - I remember all that as well! Even just ringing about renewals and the general admin/running of the policy was a nightmare and seriously putting me off! The 'no mods' thing was the last straw and they got the heave ho.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Just a quick one on declaring mods guys.....I have just fitted a powerbox to my diesel (more bhp + mpg). It is a 5 minute job to fit and remove but do you recon I should still declare it to my insurer? And do you think it will make a big difference to the policy price?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by daverip2003 View Post
    Just a quick one on declaring mods guys.....I have just fitted a powerbox to my diesel (more bhp + mpg). It is a 5 minute job to fit and remove but do you recon I should still declare it to my insurer? And do you think it will make a big difference to the policy price?
    Personnal choice but I would (and I have for my remap) for one simple reason. If you are in an accident and you are unable, for whatever reason, to remove the modification at the scene of the accident and the car gets towed away, then you may be in trouble. Of course if you dont survive the accident then its no longer a problem but if you do and the mods have not been declared, you could effectively be uninsured and end up paying for the rest of your life.
    In my younger day, I would have not thought that way but have seen so many accidents and you never know, it could be you.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information