User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Help needed urgently not a happy chappy!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Angry Help needed urgently not a happy chappy!

Hi people,

As some of you know or dont know i have had loads of problems with the gearbox in my Vectra (2.0T 6SP). I took it up to vauxhalls a month ago to have the gearbox looked at again as id lost all drive see link below:-

http://www.vectra-c.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5134

Anyways i got call from them on tuesday saying that because my car has no proof of service history they will not be carrying out the work. My arguement is that im not after the cars warranty im after the gearbox its only done a 1000 miles and when i asked them for the gaurentee for the box they said they do not do gaurentees its covered under the warranty of the car. I think this is ridiculous after all the manufacturer of the gearbox must issue some kind of warranty. Just to let you know as in the letter the service was due in sep 2005 when the car was off the road the gearbox was changed in may 2005 i think and its only done over 1000 miles. Do i have a leg to stand on? Im prepared to meet them half way and pay for the labour and they can send the faulty box back but i dont think i should have to shell out for a new box as well.

Does anyone have any help here ive had a **** week as well moved last friday lost me job on monday so any news is good news! Any help would be very much appreciated, thanks peeps!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hi Rob, i would say, without a doubt & as long as it hasn't been more than 12 months since vx changed the box the first time, you are well within your rights to have it replaced/mended again.I cannot see what relevence the mileage or service history as to do with this,since (i'm presuming) the new box is under 12 months old, you should not have to pay for anything.The only thing that does concern me is the fact that, this is the second box that has failed since 2004.Is there a fault in the 6 speed box in general? if so other owners with the same box should watch out. If you are still worried contact the vx dealer & tell them you are seeking legal advice & contact your nearest citizens advice bureau, it will be free the first time so you have nothing to lose. Good luck anyway.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Cheers for reply the box is under a year old so will find out legal routes

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

If your gearbox is less than one year old you have a right to replacement of the faulty item, regardless of service history. Try a different VX dealer if you have proof of purchase/work done by other dealer.

Ex Vec-C Admin & Founder Bainie's Avatar
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

HI Rob,
    Sorry to hear that mate, I know the probs you have had with it, VX customer care is attrocious !! Regardless of servicing the box will be covered under the sale of goods act. Go to trading standards and get some advice from them. The sale of goods act states ...

• Wherever goods are bought they must "conform to contract". This means they must be as described, fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality (i.e. not inherently faulty at the time of sale).

• Goods are of satisfactory quality if they reach the standard that a reasonable person would regard as satisfactory, taking into account the price and any description.

• Aspects of quality include fitness for purpose, freedom from minor defects, appearance and finish, durability and safety.

• It is the seller, not the manufacturer, who is responsible if goods do not conform to contract.

• If goods do not conform to contract at the time of sale, purchasers can request their money back "within a reasonable time". (This is not defined and will depend on circumstances)

• For up to six years after purchase (five years from discovery in Scotland) purchasers can demand damages (which a court would equate to the cost of a repair or replacement).

• A purchaser who is a consumer, i.e. is not buying in the course of a business, can alternatively request a repair or replacement.

• If repair and replacement are not possible or too costly, then the consumer can seek a partial refund, if they have had some benefit from the good, or a full refund if the fault/s have meant they have enjoyed no benefit

• In general, the onus is on all purchasers to prove the goods did not conform to contract (e.g. was inherently faulty) and should have reasonably lasted until this point in time (i.e. perishable goods do not last for six years).

I think you have a case in every point there,

See tarding standards and take them to court ..

Sorry about the job as well dude ....

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

You can correct me if i'm wrong but I was told by a VX parts bod that If VX fit a part and it fails within 12 months then VX will replace it FOC..Had several parts changed on this basis over the years..

Perhaps it's just a faulty dealer to add to the gearbox..

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks for your replys fellas will go ip to garage on Monday watch this space! lol

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Just reiterating what's been said really, there should be at least a 12-month fitted parts warranty on the parts they fit. BMW provides 2 years on all parts they fit so you'd think Vauxhall would have at least 1!

Thread Information