Hello again everyone!
I'm feeling like a bit of a leech around here at the moment but can I just say again a thanks to this forum and it's members, as you have basically enabled a mechanical novice to service my Vec and change my banjaxed suspension for nice new B4s and Eibachs!
I'm out about £300-£350 quid in all (MOT in just over a week!) but without your help I'd be out 3 times that I'd imagine!
Now, a real bugbear (and something which I hope will not fail me the MOT) is my dash warning light with the steering wheel symbol and exclamation mark. I have read every post related to this and I understand that it may give reference to issues in other areas, not just the pump/reservoir.
My drivers wing was crumpled at the beginning of the year, and the pump housing bent, with wires cut. The body shop spliced the wires when doing the repairs and straightened the housing. The power steering light has been on since that bump, though the steering has been fine apart from a faint humming/whirring when on full lock and a tiny bit of sluggishness when steering very fast.
The reason I need help is that I am going to take the bumper off and check the level, fill it if required. But am now not holding out hope that the level of fluid is the problem as I have been informed by a consultation of a Haynes manual that there may no level sensor on my 2002 2.0dti pump/reservoir (no sensor for level means that it can't be that which has generated the dash warning!).. am I right or wrong here?
Given that the I took a hefty knock on my drivers wing and pump housing, and this warning light since.. can anyone give me an insight as to what extent this could actually run to? Rack issues, pump issues, any other related sensors somewhere (angle sensor?), recalibration of something or other???
I had my local mechanic put it on his (non tech2) reader months ago, he wiped several things, but light returned. Will Tech2 give me a definitive answer?
As the cars only worth about 2-3 grand I would be willing to attempt a repair myself if I could nail down what this damned light is trying to tell me! I'm a joiner and money's severely restricted in these "crunchy" days, so even £50 quid on a code reading will break my heart if I don't get anywhere!
Sorry for being so long winded guys, hope some of you can shed a light on the full range of possibilities for me to weigh up before I decide to go in grimacing waiting for a Tech2 code!
Thanks in advance!