Thread: Windscreen

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Windscreen

A stone hit the windscreen the other day and I need to do something about it. It isn't big so I am hopefull that they can repair it. If not a friend told me to specify GM glass to my insurance Norwich Union otherwise their nominated supplier will fit their own brand. Has anybody experienced problems with non GM windscreens and things like the operation of autowipers and associated warranty claims.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

They will always endevour to repair if possible as obviously its cheaper than a screen. It amazes me how large the chip has to be before they will replace, even if its in line of sight. On one of mine in the past I had a small crack about a inch long (not in line of sight) and they insisted it was not bad enough to replace, just repaired it by preventing it going further.
    I have 3 chips on my current veccie though very small, I find it a little annoying, they said I would hardly see it after repair, but I could'nt see much difference after the so called repair. I dont like having to have windscreens replaced on my cars if at all possible, I had a bad experience a couple of cars back where they had scraped all the paint from down the side columns down to the metal when removing the old silicone rubber and several months later I was getting very serious rust down the side the screen and had eaten through in a couple of places. As the car was less than 2yrs old the dealer had it back with a generous allowance against another new one. Just ensure you get a good company to replace it if you go that direction.
    Last edited by 67688c; 20th October 2008 at 23:14.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

They insist on repairing it cos they are lazt t0zzers and cannot be bothered to replace and Autoglass are targetted on REPAIRING rather than replace.

Rac are/have laid off 20 depots and around 200 staff cos they installed a new system that didnt work,Employed monkeys to do a proffesionals job and generally messed up work and lost contracts.
    And now called AutoWindscreens Part of RAC as RAC the brand is up for sale and not autowindscreens. AutoGlass are international and lost quite a few staff and are now getting back on track.

Also if you see any sign of rust take it back ask them to take the windscreen back out so you can inspect it. Then ask that it gets proffessionaly re-sprayed. What they have done is used a long knife and not used white primer (anti corrosion) All windscreen companys are bad for this. The windscreen accounts for 30% of the cars body integrity in an accident and trust me.... you dont want your windscreen to fly out, you may think "that cannot happen now adays" Yes it can if anti corrosion primer isnt used or if the screen is not cleaned properly or if the aperture gets wet and the glue does not stick.

Your local Automotive glazier ("WAS" Silver_V)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks for that informative info matey. Though I had my suspicions it was not right and did take it back and left it with them they said it just needed a bit of sealant... load of B*LL S**T but it became only really obvious when I started getting rusty coloured water inside the car after a few months. AYS.. these days the screen does form a major part of the strength and structure of the car. I would imagine its difficult to remove the old silicone without any damage at all to the paintwork, or do they try and leave a thin layer of silicon in place and put the new sealant on the top of it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I just had the screen replaced on my Vectra buy autoglass last Wednesday, they are coming back on Friday to put another one in straight this time !
    Got a gap at the top one side of 5mm other side is 10mm, wouldnt have noticed if the installer hadnt bent the wiper arm and made the spring in it rub against the window. I complained about the noise and they sent a different bloke round who was half deaf !

The screen they came with was a vauxhall one though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron43 View Post
    Thanks for that informative info matey. Though I had my suspicions it was not right and did take it back and left it with them they said it just needed a bit of sealant... load of B*LL S**T but it became only really obvious when I started getting rusty coloured water inside the car after a few months. AYS.. these days the screen does form a major part of the strength and structure of the car. I would imagine its difficult to remove the old silicone without any damage at all to the paintwork, or do they try and leave a thin layer of silicon in place and put the new sealant on the top of it.
    They leave a thin layer of bond (not silicon based as its greasy and will not stick) and add primer onto that then glue in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Jaguar XF 3.0D V6

Trim : Black

Engine : 3.0D V6

Year : 0000

I've had a few replaced over the last few years. 3 in my last Vec and 1 in this one and 1 repair to a small chip. I have insisted that all have been Genuine VX ones. It all goes through the ins and I pay £60 for a replacement, which is the usual amount.

I usually watch them do it, and they don't cut corners when you're there and know what you're talking about.

Some of them are grumpy though about stick on internal phone aeriels, asking them to stick it back on and be careful around the wire is like asking some of them for the world. Isn't it their job to refit the windscreen - which IMO includes all the bits attached to it....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I got mine done by Autoglass recently and they fitted a Pilkington screen. No issues apart from a small air bubble in the silicone of the rain sensor (which doesn't affect performance)

If you use RAC Windscreens (formerly Auto Windscreens) I reckon you will get an RAC branded screen (they manufacture their own glass)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Marc 100 View Post
    I got mine done by Autoglass recently and they fitted a Pilkington screen. No issues apart from a small air bubble in the silicone of the rain sensor (which doesn't affect performance)

If you use Auto Windscreens PART of RAC (formerly Auto Windscreens) I reckon you will get an RAC branded screen (they manufacture their own glass)
    They do make their own glass and are the only uk company to do so. They have a massive warehouse in Chesterfield that shape it etc. Been trying to remember the name of the glue and its called poly-eurathane.

It flex's as does the glass in the event of an accident.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra C Estate

Trim : Elite

Engine : 1.9 CDTi

got mine changed and got a non vx one, but it had the rain sensor bracket and sun strip .. no issues at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information