I hope someone out there can give me some inspiration with this one because i'm running out of ideas. I'm getting a low pitched clunking noise when driving over moderately uneven roads. From the drivers seat it sounds like it's coming from the rear off side but passengers in the car seem to hear it from all sorts of places but usualy at the back! Here's a list of everything i've done so far to try and find / cure the 'clunk'.
1) Emptied out entire boot including spare wheel and everything not stuck or bolted down inc parcel shelf. Clunk still there.
2) Adjusted rear door lock striker plate several times. Clunk still there.
3) Checked all exhaust hangers, repaired one suspect hanger. All good. Clunk still there.
4) Removed both shock absorbers and bench tested in vice. Both good.
5) Replaced both rear anti roll bar D-bushes. Clunk still there.
6) Finaly bit the bullet and replaced both rear upper control arms today. Outer bushes pretty worn, hopes built up, but... Yep you guessed it clunk still there.
7) Went out and bought new Kings of Leon album to make myself feel better played at full volume - can't hear clunk now. After a while decided this isn't really a satisfactory long term fix and decided to post this! (Good album though)
I'm at my wits end. The suspension looks good to me all round with no play that I can find. If all the work above had been done by VX i'd be re-mortgaging the house by now!
So i'm now wondering if it's anything else? Any ideas that I can investigate would be most welcome. Perhaps i've missed something along the way. I'm starting to have the feeling that when I finally locate the cause it will be something really daft!