Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default 2.0 dti SUMP PLUG HELL!

Hi all. I went to flush the engine and renew the oil here today and, aside fropm the fact the oil filtrer cap wouldn't budge with a spanner (will get 38mm socket later or tomorrow).. I moved on to drain the oil but the damned torx 45 plug thingy is seemingly welded on.

I'm thinking the guy on the last service used copious amonts of welly on the air tools.. though I realise these sumps have caused bother before.

The most maddening part is, I have the can of engine flush already in so I don't think I can go anywhere in the motor till this is sorted. I've sent down to the hardware store-which closes now shortly :-( at 5pm for the biggest torx 45 available.

Failing that, any advice guys?

Thanks!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

as the sump and plug are made from alloy, when the get hot they become stuck to gether, so you might need to get a hammer and chisel to help it on its way

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : SRi

Engine : 150

Year : 05

Mileage : 74000

use a very meaty torx 45 bit a standard halfords professional jobbie one i had actually twisted cause the sump bolt was soo tight. Bought another one with a shorter length to it and after a few whacks from Mr Hammer it moved.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

[quote=nickyg;709893]Hi all. I went to flush the engine and renew the oil here today and, aside fropm the fact the oil filtrer cap wouldn't budge with a spanner (will get 38mm socket later or tomorrow).. I moved on to drain the oil but the damned torx 45 plug thingy is seemingly welded on.

I'm thinking the guy on the last service used copious amonts of welly on the air tools.. though I realise these sumps have caused bother before.

The most maddening part is, I have the can of engine flush already in so I don't think I can go anywhere in the motor till this is sorted. I've sent down to the hardware store-which closes now shortly :-( at 5pm for the biggest torx 45 available.

Failing that, any advice guys?

?Was the car ran up to operating temp first befiore you attempted to remove the sump plug...by thati mean take it on a 10 mile run..and then try to undo it..but dont scald yourself on the hot oil if your succesful...works nearly every time

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Well, late in the evening i finally got the little beeyatch out! I had spent a fruitless 30 mins on the oil filter cap before i gave her a little tick over for a minute and attempted the sump, so it may have cooled and perhaps if I could have went on a longer journey as one of you guys kindly suggested that may have helped the release, but I had engine flush in there so didn't wanna risk it!

With no shops left open I was lucky enough in that my ol fella was working on a house where the window fitter had a set of nearly new torx allen keys, though even that didn't shift until I clamped the vise grips on the end of the allen key for about 300mm of leverage!!

I must remember to go get a recessed torx 45 for a 1/2" impact wrench so at least then I can put my big milwaukee cordless wrench to it the next time!

Only shame is that I'll not get the oil filter changed till today (guy at vx told me 32mm socket for that- it wasn't, and couldn't budge it with an adjustable spanner!).

I done about 60 miles with the new oil and the old filter (there would be some trace of the engine flush left on the filter I'd imagine ) does anyone foresee any problems there?

Anyway, thanks a lot for all the input guys.. I truly believe the people on here are amongst the the most obliging I've come across on any forum!

P.S: I changed out the old suspension for b4s and Eibachs on Friday (what a difference!!), so if I can be of any small assistance to anyone who's attempting that job in future pm me!

Thanks again!

Nick

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Just done this on my last home service. (because the guy who done mine put crap oil in i think).
    The trox was rounded off so, mole grips got it no problem. Just pinch'd the edge of the plug. Then off to Halfords for a new one. Easy!!

Thread Information